The Great Metroid Construction Collaboration Hunt - Post your resources here!

Started by Zhs2, July 20, 2009, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H A M

Mode 3 Game Over Screen, by H A M
Allows a 256x224 Mode 3 (8bpp) image with a maximum of 208/240 palettes with/without baby and 512 unique tiles (about half of the screen) as a game over screen.
The advantages of using Mode 3 for a 8bpp image instead of Mode 7 are that the number of unique tiles can be greater than 256 (quarter of the screen) and that tiles can be flipped.
Example shown is a downed Reimu Hakurei from Touhou created by ZUN, taken from Tasofro's ground fighting trilogy,
ripped by DarkOverlord (https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/swr/sheet/14705/).

H A M

SHVC-LZSA1 by Optiroc (https://github.com/Optiroc/SHVC-LZ/blob/main/src/shvc-lzsa1.s), ported to Super Metroid and asar 1.9.1 by H A M
It is faster and compresses smaller than vanilla even with the Decompression Optimization patch (https://metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=235) applied,
and the compressor uses less space, but has a limitation that data can't cross banks.

H A M

It's slightly slower than the DMA version but can be used with IRQ or NMI!

OmegaDragnet9

Metroids Stay Dead

If event matching the room index is set, these enemies will not spawn upon entry. Does not set events itself.

Best to use in conjunction with your pick of Event ASM and either my version or JAM'S version of the Event Gray Doors (otherwise you can be softlocked by leaving and reentering a room you cleared.)

Must set the Metroid Initial AI to $FA00 inside the Enemy DNA editor for this to take effect. (Vanilla is $F330.)

Requires some setup, but will save a roomstate if all you want is a Metroid cleared room.

Credits to P.JBoy and MetroidNerd#9001.

H A M

Quote from: OmegaDragnet9 on August 30, 2024, 03:56:28 PM
Metroids Stay Dead

If event matching the room index is set, these enemies will not spawn upon entry. Does not set events itself.

Best to use in conjunction with your pick of Event ASM and either my version or JAM'S version of the Event Gray Doors (otherwise you can be softlocked by leaving and reentering a room you cleared.)

Must set the Metroid Initial AI to $FA00 inside the Enemy DNA editor for this to take effect. (Vanilla is $F330.)

Requires some setup, but will save a roomstate if all you want is a Metroid cleared room.

Credits to P.JBoy and MetroidNerd#9001.
...You forgot to disable the rinkas when the metroids are dead...

OmegaDragnet9

I guess that's doable, but was really only interested in the Metroids really. Come to think of it though, I never noticed what happened to the rinkas in the alternate state until you mentioned it.

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: H A M on August 28, 2024, 03:37:46 PM
Mode 3 Game Over Screen, by H A M
Allows a 256x224 Mode 3 (8bpp) image with a maximum of 208/240 palettes with/without baby and 512 unique tiles (about half of the screen) as a game over screen.
The advantages of using Mode 3 for a 8bpp image instead of Mode 7 are that the number of unique tiles can be greater than 256 (quarter of the screen) and that tiles can be flipped.
Example shown is a downed Reimu Hakurei from Touhou created by ZUN, taken from Tasofro's ground fighting trilogy,
ripped by DarkOverlord (https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/swr/sheet/14705/).

I haven't gotten a chance to try this out, but it looks pretty interesting man.

H A M

I'm reposting this because I had the footstep frames wrong.
Moonwalk Footsteps
Adds footsteps while moonwalking and adds a turnaround animation while moonwalking with a nice side effect that Samus can moonfall just by falling off a ledge!
Uses freespace in bank $90. Best paired with my "Moonwalk Animation Fix" patch.

OmegaDragnet9

Baby Metroid Animation Removal

Credits to Moehr, P.JBoy, RaccoonSam, and PHOSPHOTiDYL.

Removes Baby Metroid animation on Game Over Screen and Title Screen, as well as silences the sounds for both of them (Moehr's Title Screen silence hex tweak is featured.)

Note: the static image of the Baby Metroid will still be on the Title Screen unless you change the Mode 7 tilemap in SMILE RF.

Included is the removal of the Metroid animations on the Intro Scenes 02 and 03, as well as the Less Tedious Tilemaps template (both of which have been uploaded in the past, but I believe should all be grouped together in this manner.)

Less Tedious Tilemaps was written for Xkas.

-09-11-2024-

Added an ASAR-friendly version of Less Tedious Tilemaps.

H A M

Quote from: OmegaDragnet9 on September 04, 2024, 05:25:29 PM
Baby Metroid Animation Removal

Credits to Moehr, P.JBoy, RaccoonSam, and PHOSPHOTiDYL.

Removes Baby Metroid animation on Game Over Screen and Title Screen, as well as silences the sounds for both of them (Moehr's Title Screen silence hex tweak is featured.)

Note: the static image of the Baby Metroid will still be on the Title Screen unless you change the Mode 7 tilemap in SMILE RF.

Included is the removal of the Metroid animations on the Intro Scenes 02 and 03, as well as the Less Tedious Tilemaps template (both of which have been uploaded in the past, but I believe should all be grouped together in this manner.)

Less Tedious Tilemaps was written for Xkas.
In my "Mode 3 Game Over Screen" patch, I removed and silenced the baby metroid just by puting an RTL at $82BB75. Like most of my patches, I figured it out by looking at PJ's banklogs.

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: H A M on September 04, 2024, 07:10:05 PM

In my "Mode 3 Game Over Screen" patch, I removed and silenced the baby metroid just by puting an RTL at $82BB75. Like most of my patches, I figured it out by looking at PJ's banklogs.

I see now where you said "with/without the baby." Somehow missed that when I read the post (mainly going off the image.) Interesting way of skipping both at the same time.

H A M

Makes all of the beam palettes be able to be animated without using a palette FX object slot.
Fixes some vanilla bugs:
    Unpausing or having hyper beam enabled while crystal flashing corrupts the crystal flash palette for a short time
    Unpausing with hyper beam enabled makes the beam palette have the non-hyper beam palette shortly before being replaced by hyper beam palette
    Grappling with hyper beam enabled makes the flare flash rainbow
Optionally moves the grapple beam palette line to sprite palette 6 (beam palette) from 5 (color 15h),
allowing it to be more customizable and also have an animated palette. Grapple beam graphics can be edited by editing "grapple tiles.gfx".

Meowmaritus

Simple Event Grey Doors Lite

Includes an ASM file (only tested with asar), as well as some assets for SMART which allow you to easily see and edit the doors (instructions in readme.txt).

Adds 4 new types of grey door PLM.
These PLMs work just like vanilla grey doors except the Open Condition value of their room argument has been replaced with a selectable event ID value. The doors will unlock when the selected event ID has been set. This value can only go from 00 to 7F due to limitations, but on a more positive note, these doors are compatible with SMART's "Reassign door PLM IDs" functionality for convenience.

Because these use the standard door ID system, they have properly working unlock behavior where they will be flashing blue until you open each one individually for the first time.

See readme.txt for the technical info about the 00 to 7F limitation, the PLM IDs, and instructions on how to install the SMART assets. The .asm file is heavily commented and has instructions for repointing the code in case of a conflict.

Update 1.1:
    - Fixed issue where entering a room and having an Event Grey Door cap close behind you could either freeze the game or cause the door's unlock status to be incorrect until the room is reloaded.

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: H A M on September 05, 2024, 04:08:06 PM
Makes all of the beam palettes be able to be animated without using a palette FX object slot.
Fixes some vanilla bugs:
    Unpausing or having hyper beam enabled while crystal flashing corrupts the crystal flash palette for a short time
    Unpausing with hyper beam enabled makes the beam palette have the non-hyper beam palette shortly before being replaced by hyper beam palette
Optionally moves the grapple beam palette line to sprite palette 6 (beam palette) from 5 (color 15h),
allowing it to be more customizable and also have an animated palette. Grapple beam graphics can be edited by editing "grapple tiles.gfx".

Do you have a video of this? I assembled it today and didn't see a difference in the beams, which makes me wonder if this is intended to be coupled with something like flexglow.

(The grapple changing color to match the beam was cool as crap though. I'm keeping it in my project at least for that.)

H A M

Quote from: OmegaDragnet9 on September 05, 2024, 09:44:06 PM
Fixes some vanilla bugs:

Do you have a video of this? I assembled it today and didn't see a difference in the beams, which makes me wonder if this is intended to be coupled with something like flexglow.

(The grapple changing color to match the beam was cool as crap though. I'm keeping it in my project at least for that.)
It operates seperately from flexglow. Change the beam glow definitions yourself. I left them as vanilla by default.

OmegaDragnet9

It operates seperately from flexglow. Change the beam glow definitions yourself. I left them as vanilla by default.

Okay I see the tables where that can be changed. Thanks for clarifying.

OmegaDragnet9

So I just straight up have power beam looking pink like wave beam. HAM you knocked this out the park!

H A M

Quote from: OmegaDragnet9 on September 06, 2024, 03:34:26 PM
So I just straight up have power beam looking pink like wave beam. HAM you knocked this out the park!
Did you animate that palette? I left an example (hyper beam).

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: H A M on September 06, 2024, 04:32:53 PM
Did you animate that palette? I left an example (hyper beam).

Truth be told I haven't messed much with that yet; still studying the template and the examples.

Honestly I'm just amazed at how convenient it is to copy/paste all these tables.

OmegaDragnet9

The hyper beam palette transfers perfectly to the power beam, which is pretty awesome. Lots of customization here.

Did notice, at least in quickmet, that if you collect another beam, any of the current palettes will stay the same until you load another room.

H A M

Quote from: OmegaDragnet9 on September 08, 2024, 10:03:25 AM
The hyper beam palette transfers perfectly to the power beam, which is pretty awesome. Lots of customization here.

Did notice, at least in quickmet, that if you collect another beam, any of the current palettes will stay the same until you load another room.
I made an update to fix that

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: H A M on September 08, 2024, 04:00:50 PM
I made an update to fix that

Thanks man. I'll try that out shortly. I've had a lot of fun messing with different beam colors.

OmegaDragnet9

After quite a bit of quickmetting, everything appears to be working fine.

H A M

1.1: uses less space, a bit faster, fixed a bug when copying a literal