The Great Metroid Construction Collaboration Hunt - Post your resources here!

Started by Zhs2, July 20, 2009, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiffy

Quote from: Metaquarius on October 31, 2014, 06:39:23 AM
And more custom music ! This time we have two classic tracks : Brinstar and Ridley's lair, using SM instruments only. (see attachments below)

Note : I've also uploaded individual patches for each Alternate Zebes song, link here.

Hmmm. Tried this patch, and it messes up a ton of my rooms. Like, they give Runtime Error 9 in SMILE (same as overwriting error) and they appear to have the top of the Yellow Door hatch everywhere in these rooms.  :pale: Good thing we have a thing called backups.

Jordan5

Jiffy

Quote from: Jordan5 on October 31, 2014, 04:04:29 PM
you repointed level data to bank $E2?

Wait, do you have to? I might have done something like that when I was bad at hacking. Since I didn't know everything about repointing I had 1 whole bank per room. :heheh:
Well, I fixed it another way. Saved every broken room from the old rom to the new one. And it's fixed now.

Jordan5

The individual song patches write data to bank $E2, so if you have level data there it will overwrite it. And if that's true, your song data will now be screwed up.

Jiffy

Quote from: Jordan5 on October 31, 2014, 04:47:18 PM
The individual song patches write data to bank $E2, so if you have level data there it will overwrite it. And if that's true, your song data will now be screwed up.

Nope. It works 100% fine. I wonder what's happened then...

JAM

Metaquarius
This is awesome!!! Will definitely waiting for Kraid's lair using Maridian instruments (such as violin).

Mettyk25jigsaw

Jefe962,

I think I know what the problem is, this patch actually expands the rom up to bank E2, So what I am saying is, an original rom ends at bank $DF and then once using this patch, it will also paste 2 banks worth of "00" in Bank E0 and E1 and then writes the song data in bank E2, My guess is that you have level data stuff in banks E0, E1 and maybe even E2, and will make rooms with a level data ptr of these banks in these rooms to be screwed up.
   However you could just after patching, copy from a back-up banks E0 and E1 back into the patched rom again...
   If you have got level data in Bank E2 as well, you will need to copy that data from a back-up as well, but with bank e2 you will need to paste into a different bank, presumingly an unused bank and then repoint all rooms that have a level ptr with a bank of E2 to the new bank you pasted the data to. (just the bank part of the ptr, not the rest of the pointer)
   I hope this works...

Metaquarius

Maybe I should mention the song doesn't have to be located in bank $E2. That's an arbitrary choice. You can apply the patch to a clean ROM first, extract song data in bank $E2 with an hex editor then paste it wherever you want to your working ROM (to freespace preferably...!). Then make it point to it by editing any song pointer you want (starting at $8FE7E1)

Jiffy

Quote from: Mettyk25jigsaw on October 31, 2014, 08:19:52 PM
Jefe962,

I think I know what the problem is, this patch actually expands the rom up to bank E2, So what I am saying is, an original rom ends at bank $DF and then once using this patch, it will also paste 2 banks worth of "00" in Bank E0 and E1 and then writes the song data in bank E2, My guess is that you have level data stuff in banks E0, E1 and maybe even E2, and will make rooms with a level data ptr of these banks in these rooms to be screwed up.

Most likely the cause, since it's repointed rooms that messed up. If so, Meta, do you think you can supply patches which does not fill E0-E1 with 00? Just for convenience. Thanks.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Jefe962 on November 01, 2014, 05:43:39 AM
Quote from: Mettyk25jigsaw on October 31, 2014, 08:19:52 PM
Jefe962,

Most likely the cause, since it's repointed rooms that messed up. If so, Meta, do you think you can supply patches which does not fill E0-E1 with 00? Just for convenience. Thanks.
Quote from: Metaquarius on November 01, 2014, 05:07:51 AM
Maybe I should mention the song doesn't have to be located in bank $E2. That's an arbitrary choice. You can apply the patch to a clean ROM first, extract song data in bank $E2 with an hex editor then paste it wherever you want to your working ROM (to freespace preferably...!). Then make it point to it by editing any song pointer you want (starting at $8FE7E1)
Don't be lazy.
I mean, he literally told you how to do it. How's he gonna know where your free space is? He can't control that.
Basically I read that as "Can you pls tailor this to my specific needs tyvm".

By the way, nice work Meta. I'm not a big fan of the Brinstar one, but the others are cool.  :^_^:

Jordan5

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on November 01, 2014, 07:22:10 AM
Don't be lazy.

This. All you have to do is apply to a clean rom then copy/paste the bank across. Or you could just make a copy of your hack, apply the patch to that then copy the data from banks $E0 and $E1 across from the original unpatched hack rom. Neither will take much time at all.

P.JBoy

This is why ASM is nice. Just change the org and your music is wherever you want, no padding, no nothing

JAM

P.JBoy
This works too. And your solution is better, I admit. But I'd remove filling of banks $E0..E1 by zeroes by hex editing like this:

Music patch data before:
PATCH
[30 00 00] [00 00] [FF FF] [00]
[30 FF FF] [xx xx] [00]
{Music data}
EOF

Music patch data after:
PATCH
[30 00 00] [00 00] [FF FF] [00]
[31 00 00] [yy yy] [00]
{Music data}
EOF

Where yyyy = xxxx - 1.

Also, looks like, I will add custom music support in v2.84 (or at least in v2.85) of SMILE JX. To be able to have all existing songs PLUS new ones. With having total of 85 or 86 songs.

Jordan5

Quote from: JAM on November 01, 2014, 06:22:06 PM
Also, looks like, I will add custom music support in v2.84 (or at least in v2.85) of SMILE JX. To be able to have all existing songs PLUS new ones. With having total of 85 or 86 songs.

That would be amazing JAM, even more reason that i can't wait for 2.85 :grin:

Mettyk25jigsaw

Yeah, I'm eager for 2.84 and 2.85, firstly for exlorom support and I am pretty much certain I read somewhere (from JAM himself) He'll be implementing a second bank for enemy population in V2.85...By the way Jam, I think You are doing a fabulous job with this SMILE JX project, I love the way you are making support for patches and support for other things too within Smile, I think that is one thing you are doing better than the former programmer Jathy's, although he did real good too, he just wasn't implementing so much support for patches and stuff as you are.
      If you are lucky enough to read this Jam I just want to wish you Good luck.....

Jiffy

Now I wonder which will be released first. RF or JX. It's gonna be a tight battle.  :colonrightv:

P.JBoy

JAM
It was precisely the examination of the patch that I made the ASM from :)

Quietus

Quote from: Jefe962 on November 02, 2014, 04:44:37 AM
Now I wonder which will be released first. RF or JX. It's gonna be a tight battle.  :colonrightv:
I'm fairly certain that Scyzer has said that RF has been tailor made for Seraphim, and wouldn't be much use for other hacks.  Not unless she was going to release a customised version anyway.

personitis

Oct 29 17:14:41 <Scyzer> 0.43 is going to be a huge update o.O
Oct 29 17:14:46 <Scyzer> Yikes
Oct 29 17:14:56 <person701> 0.43 of what?
Oct 29 17:15:01 <Scyzer> RF
Oct 29 17:15:06 <person701> Ah
Oct 29 17:15:35 <Scyzer> So far I've got 17 things on the change list
Oct 29 17:20:45 <RealRed> is 1.00 gonna be the release version? >_>
Oct 29 17:23:33 <Scyzer> Well I could release it right now. But I won't because I don't want hundreds of PMs asking why the Bg editor doesn't work, or how to edit text or game behaviour
Oct 29 17:24:11 <Scyzer> I was gonna release it a few weeks ago until a few bugs were pointed out
Oct 29 17:24:33 <Scyzer> Then I realised I hadn't finished the BG editor either

My bet's on RF being first.

RealRed

Are you feeling low on rocks? I'm not.
I don't want to throw these away so I'll just hand them out before I forget about them.

Sorry guys... you're gonna have to provide your own palette, but this uses a pretty standard one so you'll be able to import it easily to just about any tileset.

Enjoy!

Jiffy

Also, just to note Metaquarius. With the Alternate Zebes music, I put the new Maridian song in E3, got it all working, but it appears Silent in ZSNES... but works absolutely fine in Snes9X. Do you think you can investigate?

Metaquarius

Quote from: Jefe962 on November 04, 2014, 02:24:37 PM
Also, just to note Metaquarius. With the Alternate Zebes music, I put the new Maridian song in E3, got it all working, but it appears Silent in ZSNES... but works absolutely fine in Snes9X. Do you think you can investigate?
You have messed up either song data or song pointer. I use ZSNES most of the time anyway, and it did fine last time I checked.

Jiffy

Quote from: Metaquarius on November 04, 2014, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: Jefe962 on November 04, 2014, 02:24:37 PM
You have messed up either song data or song pointer. I use ZSNES most of the time anyway, and it did fine last time I checked.

If I messed up either of those, then it wouldn't work in Snes9x. I got help from PJBoy for the locations of the song pointer and set it to 00 00 E3. And it looks fine. Idk what's borking it up.

Smiley

Quote from: Jefe962 on November 05, 2014, 06:31:27 AM
If I messed up either of those, then it wouldn't work in Snes9x. I got help from PJBoy for the locations of the song pointer and set it to 00 00 E3. And it looks fine. Idk what's borking it up.
Pointers. They have to be negative. Yours is positive. Change it to 00 80 E3 so it points to E3:8000 instead of E3:0000. Lesson over.