The Great Metroid Construction Collaboration Hunt - Post your resources here!

Started by Zhs2, July 20, 2009, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H A M

stops morph ball from bouncing when hitting the ground
inspired by super junkoid

H A M

Makes grapple beam use the same color as main beam palette (sprite palette 6). Also restores an unused animation.

nodever2

SM: Homing Drops

I made this two years ago but haven't finished a hack to show it off soooo here you go.
Currently the code is configured to make drops work like dread item drops where they home in on you by default after a second (80 frames - configurable).
You can also configure the max range and max speed of the drops as they move towards samus. The max range doesn't seem to work very well past a couple screens worth of distance though.

There is commented code which makes it work like a normal charge beam tractor beam (uncomment line 86). There is also commented code which makes the drops attract to PBs like X parasites do in metroid fusion (uncomment line 85). You should be able to use any combination of these features - so if you uncomment all three they should all work together.

The main reason I made this and am posting it when we already have another tractor beam is because these drops don't move in a mere 8 directions at a constant speed. They use math to move at a variable speed in a more direct route to the player which is much more satisfying. See the gifs below. But this one is kinda hard to convey in gifs because of the low framerate and how fast it happens.

This thing is also more CPU intensive than our other tractor beams though (I haven't noticed any real lag but it's definitely not a cheap calculation). If anyone out there wants to improve/optimize this code, feel free to get in touch. Like I said it's been a couple years and unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to dig back into the main logic of it since then and try to improve it. But I wanted to get this out there since some interest was expressed on discord today.

Please give credit if you use it. And for my part, thanks to Black Falcon for the idea (this is a complete reimplementation of his tractor beam) and PJ for the bank logs as always.

H A M

when you freeze an enemy it properly sets it's hp to 1
this means if you use a charged pure ice beam to freeze the pirate you just have to shoot it with an uncharged pure ice beam only 1 time instead of 3 times

H A M

Version 1.02: Uncompressed CRE tile table now loads when starting game. Fixed a bug that triggers when the location of uncompressed CRE tiles isn't a multiple of 100h.

H A M

Makes enemies unfreeze faster only in heated rooms, not anywhere in Norfair.

Ob

SM: Bomb Launcher v0.3
(Last Seen: August 2022 :L )

This replaces x-ray with a bomb launcher. Holding the fire button charges up, and is added to the bomb speed, damage, and 2* to the bomb timer by default.

== Core Features ==
Enemies' vulnerability to bombs is checked, $8X means the bomb will stick, $0X means it will explode on contact
Bombs stick to and explode faster on shot/bomb/crumble BTS, and just sticking to BTS 2 (air no x-ray)

(All gifs also use "Better Bomb Explosion Radius" by Nodever2 and Benox)

Works decently well overall, but still has noticeable jank. Multiple rooms can start lagging, especially if any regular projectiles exist.

== Not Included in v0.3 ==
- Playtesting or Balancing
- Batteries
- HUD Graphics
- Item equipment screen edit
- Item pickup message edit
- Item PLM graphics
- Vulnerablity / enemy changes (i.e. Vanilla keyhunters are immune to bombs)
- Better Bomb Explosion Radius
   (By Nodever2 and Benox50, highly recommend)
- A good launch charge indicator
   (TODO: Ask TestRunner & amoeba how to adapt the HUD charge indicator from Subversion)

H A M

A combination of my 2 patches. It doesn't use freespace.

Ob

Same room, separate elevators. Elevators check their horizontal distance to Samus to decide whether or not they are in use.

H A M

SPC Engine Echo Improvements
The echo on a channel when a sound is finished gets re-activated, and the echo never applies to a sound.
Use asar 1.90.
I actually made this while i was porting songs from "Zelda no Densetsu - Kamigami no Triforce".
Version 1.01: save 1 byte each in ROM and SPC RAM

H A M

Version 1.02: save more bytes in SPC RAM

Mentlegen

Super Metroid Biohazard OST
I decided the community should have access to new original music for super

SPC and NSPC's in this attachment.

H A M

Faster Boot + SPC Engine Echo Improvements
Makes booting faster by uploading the SPC engine while the Nintendo logo is displayed.
The echo on a channel when a sound is finished gets re-activated, and the echo never applies to a sound.
Uses no freespace.

H A M

1.1: fixed stuff that breaks during door transitions

OmegaDragnet9

In the interest of contributing to the contest, here is something that skips all Mode 7 stuff after the escape sequence. (Seeing clouds and mountains really breaks the immersion if it's a space station you're escaping from.)

Naturally the explosion audio no longer syncs, so I opted to just play one of the songs from the game instead.

Because this is relatively new (and there is a slim chance there could be a dependency on some other project ASM I might be overlooking) I encourage you to back up your project and test this. It works fine in my project.

H A M

Suit-Dependent Visor Color
Makes the visor color seperated across the 3 suits instead of being shared, including x-ray and dark room visor colors!

H A M

This makes atmospheric effects (i.e. water splashes and dust) be drawn in every Samus drawing handler including when shinespark ends or when using an elevator.

H A M

Speeds up starting gameplay dramatically.

H A M

Quote from: H A M on May 26, 2024, 01:11:23 PM
Faster Boot + SPC Engine Echo Improvements
Makes booting faster by uploading the SPC engine while the Nintendo logo is displayed.
Uses no freespace.
Made an xkas-compatible version.

H A M

Makes Bomb Torizo haze HDMA objects transfer to CGRAM, where the haze is BG3, allowing many other layer blending configurations such as 18h to be used with the haze, and also make power bombs and x-ray work with it.

nodever2

SM: Morph Bounce Removal

This code generally removes morph bounce from the game (morph bounce is when you land from a long fall while morphed and you bounce up and back down slowly before staying on the ground).

I made this in like 2018 and have been using it since, don't have a lot of notes on it. Just got sick of how much morph bounce slows the gameplay down.

H A M

Quote from: nodever2 on June 09, 2024, 04:17:27 PM

This code generally removes morph bounce from the game (morph bounce is when you land from a long fall while morphed and you bounce up and back down slowly before staying on the ground).

I made this in like 2018 and have been using it since, don't have a lot of notes on it. Just got sick of how much morph bounce slows the gameplay down.
my version is better
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.msg73436.html#msg73436

nodever2

Quote from: H A M on June 09, 2024, 04:34:28 PM
Quote from: nodever2 on June 09, 2024, 04:17:27 PM

my version is better
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.msg73436.html#msg73436
Oh, didn't see you had already posted one. Oh well.