News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Blue Minerva

Started by Waker, December 06, 2010, 05:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

Quote from: Waker on December 28, 2010, 06:12:06 PM
I'm going to design the game the way I want to from now on.

Are you posting here for feedback, or are you just looking for oohs and aahs? Initially I only gave a simple observation. Most of the rest of what I said was in response to others, not directed at you. Don't like it? Ignore it. (Or ask Zeke to clean the thread up since it's OT). But I'm assuming that you do want people to like the game. I know you can't please everybody, but you should accept and consider criticism, whether or not you decide to agree with it.

And inter, 2D or not, there's still a sliding scale. Mario is more cartoony than MZM, which is more cartoony than Mortal Kombat. Realistic doesn't necessarily mean photo-realistic. It's a graphic style, as in OOT.

Waker

Quote from: snarfblam on December 28, 2010, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: Waker on December 28, 2010, 06:12:06 PM
I'm going to design the game the way I want to from now on.

Are you posting here for feedback, or are you just looking for oohs and aahs? Initially I only gave a simple observation. Most of the rest of what I said was in response to others, not directed at you. Don't like it? Ignore it. (Or ask Zeke to clean the thread up since it's OT). But I'm assuming that you do want people to like the game. I know you can't please everybody, but you should accept and consider criticism, whether or not you decide to agree with it.

And inter, 2D or not, there's still a sliding scale. Mario is more cartoony than MZM, which is more cartoony than Mortal Kombat. Realistic doesn't necessarily mean photo-realistic. It's a graphic style, as in OOT.

"Looks cartoony" isn't exactly a constructive criticism. Honestly, that's what you could offer instead of just criticizing without any improving factors or explanations.

I do want people to like the game. But you're coming off like one of those Graphics over Gameplay assholes that plague the industry. And it's quite evident for everyone.

And I am looking for oohs and ahhs. Those pretty much motivate me to do the project, having people amazed by my work generally provides a positive response to my development and encourages me to wander further into the depths of said area.

Don't like it? Shut up or provide something to fix it with.

Hiroshi Mishima

Here's a bit of the discussion I was having in the chatroom:

[29 Dec 10 00:40] * Hiroshi * Hmm, new posts in the Blue Minerva thread, I see.. I wonder if it's more "graphics are important" responses
[29 Dec 10 00:42] * PY * graphics are important, though
[29 Dec 10 00:42] * PY * technical superiority isn't, but if you get your style wrong you've had it
[29 Dec 10 00:44] * Hiroshi * Also, the reason I kept saying they didn't need to worry about the graphics yet in Blue Minerva is mostly cause I think at the moment they look fine and Waker should be more concerned coming up with creatures, features, and other stuff before worrying about how he's going to make the graphics overall. You know?
[29 Dec 10 00:44] * altitas * Hiroshi: copypasta what you just said into that thread
[29 Dec 10 00:46] * PY * Hiroshi: no, no, I disagree!
[29 Dec 10 00:46] * PY * graphics are a pretty major part of design, get that down as soon as possible and design enemies that'll look good in the style
[29 Dec 10 00:46] * PY * regardless of what your graphics are, they'll look better if everything fits, y'know?
[29 Dec 10 00:47] * Hiroshi * What I mean is that I think the style he has now is fine and unless he is capable of getting software which can improve the overall style, I don't think it needs to be tweaked
[29 Dec 10 00:47] * PY * I think you're probably right on that one, but it still needs to be solidified
[29 Dec 10 00:47] * PY * at least, if he's going to do it right
[29 Dec 10 00:47] * katsu * I think the style as it is now is a bit flat

It went on a bit longer, but I think I got the gist of it here. I rather liked what someone said a moment about how we've only seen a door, a small area, a tree, and the arm cannon. Before we start beating each other over the head about what looks better.. perhaps we should let Waker get some more done and show it to us? It's like trying to judge a drawing when the only thing finished is a rough line sketch and nothing's been fleshed in yet.

Let's all back off a bit and give him some more time before we make anymore harsh judgements.

Waker

The graphics aren't great, I realize. The style is flat, I know.

I'm working on this. It's been a month. I started this on December 6th and I don't think it's wise to say that, on by myself, I haven't done SOMETHING in means of development.

My first priority is basic objects. Doors, enemies, stuff that you'll see often. Then I'll concentrate on individual elements, levels, stuff specific to different rooms, that kind of stuff.

What I'm trying to say is that it's been a month. And I went into this without any pre-planning. I don't expect to see anything really spectacular but I at least expect constructive criticism to anyone involved or wanting to be involved.

I'm one man. I picked up Wings3D the first week of the project, and I only JUST now started using the tools. It's not like I'm experienced, but damnit I'm trying and having fun doing it.

Silver Skree

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on December 28, 2010, 08:01:04 PMLet's all back off a bit and give him some more time before we make anymore harsh judgements.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

snarfblam

Quote from: Waker on December 28, 2010, 07:58:12 PM
I do want people to like the game. But you're coming off like one of those Graphics over Gameplay assholes that plague the industry. And it's quite evident for everyone...Don't like it? Shut up or provide something to fix it with.

Now you're starting to sound like the old Waker I miss so much! I didn't say I was trying to be elaborate (though what needed explanation about "looks cartoony" I'm not clear on). It was a pretty simple thought (but totally worth getting mad over). And in case anyone else has mistaken me for a "Graphics over Gameplay" asshole, keep in mind that the hack I'm working on is for NES.

Quote from: Waker on December 28, 2010, 07:58:12 PM
And I am looking for oohs and ahhs. Those pretty much motivate me to do the project, having people amazed by my work (yada yada yada)
That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it. I'd love to see you produce something worth playing, but if this is the Waker love thread then I'm out. To me unearned praise is worthless next to criticism of even the most minuscule value. It would be nice to be able to express the simplest of thoughts without derailing the thread or destabilizing your ego.

Lunaria

But waker, you also have to see this from our perspective. You're putting up WIP objects in our faces, of course people are going to comment on their first reaction too it even though it's not nearly done yet.

Like I said before, I'm "meh, looks good I guess" at this ATM as it's in such and early stage you can't really comment on anything in a good manner. It's nice to see that you're posting progress, but you jumping on the gun and telling people off when they comment on their first reaction will not really help you down the line in any manner, if it's not constructive then just ignore it, that's what I do.

Also don't expect much of constructive criticism at this point anyway, as like for me, it's hard to comment without a bigger picture. Yeah sure that last door image looked really nice, and I could argue that it would look even nicer with some sort of shaped texture add on below the shaded one, but I can't really say that on the same time either as I don't have a room or environment to compare it too.

Zhs2

Quote from: Silver Skree on December 28, 2010, 08:12:40 PM
Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on December 28, 2010, 08:01:04 PMLet's all back off a bit and give him some more time before we make anymore harsh judgments.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I like it better when Heckran does that

Silver Skree

I didn't have any savestates close to heckran and he's third in the lavos list.

Waker

Good point, GK.

Personally, as a request from a developer, just provide constructive criticism where it's due. It'd really, really help.

Christ, my head hurts..

Waker

So, essentially minor update.

If you haven't heard from me on here or on IRC for a while, there's your problem. This week, start of the new year, has been one MOTHERFUCKING RIDE to say the least, and my head has been spinning.

Blue Minerva will be on hold for the next two/three weeks until I can get my head around work, IRL stuffs, and my girlfriend.

Don't bitch and complain; you'll get it when you get it.

-W

Scyzer

Quote from: Waker on January 06, 2011, 05:31:18 PM
Blue Minerva will be on hold for the next two/three weeks until I can get my head around work, IRL stuffs, and my girlfriend.

Don't bitch and complain; you'll get it when you get it.

We've seen 3 things... a door cap, a terrain, and a cannon... This is so far from complete that 3 weeks will be very little difference to anyone.
I don't think anyone will be bitching or complaining about this for a LONG time, and definitely not before this is very near completion (if it gets that far)

Zero One

To be honest, for every one person who complains about delays, take a week off :P

That'll teach them to learn patience.

Katelyn

Quote from: Zero One on January 07, 2011, 11:20:15 AM
To be honest, for every one person who complains about delays, take a week off :P

That'll teach them to learn patience.

Don't give him that idea, Zero One! Then it will never be finished!

The trolls man...the trolls...

Autre31415

Any news on this? Looks like more than 3 weeks to me. Perhaps Zero One's suggestion did end up happening. xD

zephyrtronium

Waker shot himself in the face. Pretty sure this is dead.

Zhs2

Waker's gone forever. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Autre31415

Quote from: zephyrtronium on May 20, 2012, 07:43:15 PM
Waker shot himself in the face. Pretty sure this is dead.

Wait for real?

zephyrtronium

Autre31415

Quote from: zephyrtronium on May 20, 2012, 07:55:11 PM
For real. He's gone.

I mean were you serious that he capped himself? Because that's insane

Lunaria

"Last Active:
    July 29, 2011, 09:09:12 PM"

The world may never know!~