News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Overhaul Discussion and Teasers

Started by Bioniclegenius, June 18, 2009, 07:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bioniclegenius

Well, I'm starting the topic here for Overhaul, as Zhs has asked me to  :icon_twisted:. Anyways, the original topic on m2k2 is here: http://forum.metroid2002.com/index.php/topic,7733.0.html
The homepage of this hack, which has some screenshots and a sort of update calendar, is here: http://sites.google.com/site/supermetroidoverhaul/
Any questions? Right now, I'm working on some stuff, but there's not enough of a change to show.

personitis

So... with the name being "overhaul" is it an expansion to the game, a harder version, something like redesign? Just wondering cause I'm working on something similar to redesign and I'm curious to see if there's competition.  :icon_razz: :lol:

Zhs2

Even if there's not really any change to show, some screenshots would definitely be nice, huh? Just as a good incentive for people to begin giving feedback, since this is a fresh topic for a hax and all. Trying to be nice, but nobody really wants to go to a site and pore over a giant changelog unless they're fans or they really like the project, heh. Moving into a topic and seeing some screenies to reply to is much nicer and easier! :^_^:

Bioniclegenius

Sorry about that. However, right now I'm not on my computer, so I don't have those screenshots to put up. If you want to see all the ones I have up to now, though, just go to http://sites.google.com/site/supermetroidoverhaul/ and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. I have all of the 18 screenshots posted down there, although some of them are outdated. I went ahead and left up all of the screenshots with my progress on Spore Spawn's palette, so that you could see my process of thought as I edited it. I still think that original orange-ish color was really bad, but I like the deep green and blue that I ended up going with. Also, right now I'm up to the room right before Kraid, and I think I know roughly how I'm gonna go about it. As I'm not on my computer right now, I can't put up a screenshot of it, although it wouldn't be a good screenshot anyways, as I'm still figuring out placement of enemies and I haven't gotten to the ceiling yet. Anything else I need to keep in mind?

Ok, new screenshot and update. I'm now at Kraid.

New screenies!

[attachment deleted by admin]

RealRed

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »

I'm going to fucking kill you.

BG: if you want this unlocked, gimme a holler.

Zhs2

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:55:19 PM by Bioniclegenius  »

I think it's safe to say that nobody knew this was updated. :neutral: Regardless, you could have put a bit more content into that bump, Parabox, but it's really too late to say anything about it now... <_<

Well, like he said, that looks pretty nice! I like the Ridleyface shaft. Does it go anywhere? :^_^:

Bioniclegenius

Yeah, but it's a hidden bomb block. You find that (which I did leave a clue), go down, and get the high-jump boots. I set a section of wires in the second layer, so when you shoot out part of the pipe to get out, it shows wires inside. I personally liked that little touch :grin:.

Anyhoo, this is still in-progress, and I'm working on that super-large Brinstar room. It's going slowly but surely.

RYNO

Damn, I was about to make a Super Metroid Overhaul, changed it now... Too many different hack going on at once, looks cool!

RealRed

personitis

Redesign, Rebuild, Overhaul... all these aren't reaching toward the same goal are they? Just recreating the original?

Bioniclegenius

Hm... sort of. I'm just not that good with names.

Also, this has been on hold for a while, but I'm working on it some now. Making slow but sure progress on that gigantic Brinstar room.

Parabox

Quote from: Bloodsonic on November 21, 2009, 06:06:13 PM
Wryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
.. yeah.
Anyhow, for some reason there indeed is a Super Metroid remake rage. Project Base, Vanilla Plus+, Rebuild Rebuilt, Overhaul etc. I myself have taken this as a reason to actually finish Redesign without cheating now.

RealRed

Quote from: DekuKnight on January 03, 2010, 08:35:33 AM
Quote from: Bloodsonic on November 21, 2009, 06:06:13 PM
Wryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
.. yeah.
Anyhow, for some reason there indeed is a Super Metroid remake rage. Project Base, Vanilla Plus+, Rebuild Rebuilt, Overhaul etc. I myself have taken this as a reason to actually finish Redesign without cheating now.
I was Talking about retardeed posts train, cockears. One that you started at that, now shut up.

Bioniclegenius

Anyways, new content! I finally finished a large room from scratch - the room just to the left of the ship room. This is the first room I've actually planned out beforehand, this one being on graph paper, but it turned out nicely, I think. Huge thanks go to DCronos for explaining scroll PLM's to me and helping me get some working. No screenshots, as I don't want to spoil too much about it, but a video will be up shortly.

Edit: Here you go - my video that's not much of a spoiler:
Super Metroid Overhaul 1

Jasonv

Zhs2

How's about you get the fuck out of here and stop necrobumping before you're banned.

Phazar

Zhs2, did you need to lock this?  BG might always want to post more content when(if) he returns.

Zhs2

He can let me know if he'll post more content. For right now, though, it doesn't seem to be too terribly active.