News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Status Update

Started by DSO, May 30, 2010, 09:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSO

Right now, the computer I've been using for forever is dying. Kinda sad, but I feel like it's as good a reason as any to let you creatures know about what's going on in DSO's universe of hacking. It's like the end of an era, I'm still hacking, but everything feels different. I've been very tight in general about information on my projects, right now all the public knows is that other than the released AngryFireChozo, I had been working but stopped on Super Metroid Again, and for a while they could only presume I had been working on something. Eventually I posted a tiny something about a "GFS Kennon", whatever that is. Yeah, you don't know much.

Anyway, I have suspended work on all of my Super Metroid projects, save one, which has become my focus and will stay my focus until it is finished. Let's talk about these other suspended ones first, since you're probably not going to see them for another 2-3 years at least.

Super Metroid Again
[spoiler=youtube vid]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fajmfPm2wJ8[/spoiler]
What started as my original halfhack turned fullhack turned collab hack with MM, this hack was going to be the biggest, the baddest, the greatest of them all. This is not actually a dead project, but it's doubtful to see any work until MM finishes Fear.

GFS Kennon

It's a small hack that serves as my playground for enemy usage/abusage skills. I'm using the midnight frigate tileset James made, and the whole point was to come up with new ways to use enemies. I consider the placement and usage of enemies to be one of my weakest points, so I used this to try and work on that. The story is that a group of space pirates have managed to hijack the ship GFS Kennon, but have been shut out from controlling it. They know Samus is coming, so they've taken what resources they had available and tried to booby trap everything to keep Samus from reaching and killing them.

Community collaboration hack:
I'm not doing anything on this right now, but if Grime gets everything set up like he says he's going to, then I'll start doing some work on this. I've got the ideas I need for my section, so I don't think it'll take too much time for me to hammer out my part once Grime's got the ball rolling, but until then, this is on hold too.

Event Horizon

Yep, that one corridor is what's in the banner up top. Event Horizon was the next major project I started after finishing AngryFireChozo, and what I'm going to be returning to once my current focus has been accomplished. As you have undoubtedly noticed, that is indeed Samus flying into a black hole. Inside this black hole is the Chozo homeworld, named Maphive by Dmantra. It is a massive world, not quite Redesign epic but larger than Golden Dawn, and exploring it involves puzzle solving skills (of a kind, anyway).

Now, for my active projects:

Super Mario RPG hack (No real name for it yet, it doesn't really change the game events, just palettes, text, enemy order and stuff. I can't do everything I want with a SMRPG hack until Lazyshell becomes fully compatible with 64 bit OSes, so until then I can't really change the level fields and events cause the program crashes on my computer when I try.)

???

The Super Metroid project that is receiving all the attention now. I have very strong ideas for this one, and have been hacking up hurricanes on it. Expect it to blow your mind in the 1st quarter of 2011. That's all I'm going to say about this baby.

FullOfFail

Since you're GFS Kennon hack is made for abusing enemies anyway, see if you cant get the Space Pirates to chase you like in ZM. And laser traps that activate them. All that is over my head, but I'm sure you could figure out a way.