News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Baby Metroid

Started by cout, February 12, 2023, 12:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cout

This is a prerelease of my first romhack.  It is mostly finished, but beware of sharp edges.  I wrote it for my 4yo who really wanted to play Super Metroid but did not yet know how to use a game controller.  The game is now a playground, with puzzles to teach the player basic concepts like how to shinespark.  My son also does not like it when the creatures "bite" Samus, so that has been patched (with mostly normal damage restored in hard mode).  Samus can also ride on top of creatures and be carried by them in morph ball form.

The storyline is that Samus has acquired a time machine and intends to save the baby metroid.  Spoiler: the baby metroid survives in the end, but how that happens will be a surprise.

Every boss fight has been modified in some way to be a puzzle or a teaching moment.  Seasoned players should expect to find game mechanics in this romhack easy, but the puzzles should still provide a quick and fun challenge.

Some screenshots:

TobiMikami

Nice low key C++ reference, I see what you did there lol

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: cout on February 12, 2023, 12:09:02 AM

This is a prerelease of my first romhack.  It is mostly finished, but beware of sharp edges.  I wrote it for my 4yo who really wanted to play Super Metroid but did not yet know how to use a game controller.  The game is now a playground, with puzzles to teach the player basic concepts like how to shinespark.  My son also does not like it when the creatures "bite" Samus, so that has been patched (with mostly normal damage restored in hard mode).  Samus can also ride on top of creatures and be carried by them in morph ball form.

The storyline is that Samus has acquired a time machine and intends to save the baby metroid.  Spoiler: the baby metroid survives in the end, but how that happens will be a surprise.

Every boss fight has been modified in some way to be a puzzle or a teaching moment.  Seasoned players should expect to find game mechanics in this romhack easy, but the puzzles should still provide a quick and fun challenge.

Gonna sound really noobish or stupid but i need help.
[spoiler]I seem to be stuck in the Tourian shaft after getting missiles and bombs.. The door up top is locked and there is simply a statue of samus at the bottom pointing up. what am i supposed to do?did i break the game somehow?[/spoiler]

H A M

[spoiler]get in the bottom-center of the shaft, stand up, and press up[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: H A M on February 14, 2023, 10:24:27 PM
[spoiler]get in the bottom-center of the shaft, stand up, and press up[/spoiler]
thanks

Zhs2

Nice 99% assembly 1% level design hack, it was amusing. When I got to the end I couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculous combination of ship and baby, and before that the baby's attacks. My Wednesday hack streaming friends also goaded me into doing several speed tricks due to the fact that this hack is so easy (even on hard mode) so I ended up getting ice and screw attack early, and also the bluesuit button made it really easy to do Maridia suitless and backdoor the Wrecked Ship. Some thoughts:

- FLIPS gives me a new and interesting message upon applying this patch, although it seems to work fine otherwise.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
- Ceres blows up in the intro but you still visit it and blow it up again anyway? (Nice intro videos btw, I don't think I've seen another hack that adds new videos)
- Like in the above posts, the first escape elevator could be better explained - the hint Samus isn't even in the right place!
- The change to the noob bridge tripped me up. I know it's intended to explain the fact that you can ride enemies, but it still seems rather clunky given that the Zeelas move really slow and you need to wait out the whole bridge...
- The whole goal of what you do in Draygon's room is not really well explained... The first time I attempted it I ended up softlocking by trapping Samus in a broken turret.
- What with removing so many other scary or gory effects in the hack, I think those moving spike platforms could use some soap to wash the blood off.
- You ended up removing the GT code in the process of gutting Gold Torizo?
- The Metroid in the room following Ridley produces some very strange and bright visual effects when shot. More than that, imagine teaching your kid to Power Bomb Metroids. (While a valid strategy, it makes ALL of them more aggressive!)

H A M

using ips peek on baby_metroid.ips generates data that's all over the place

makazuwr32

Ooooooooookaaaaaaaay...........................
That Kraid... :lazer: :lol!:

Upd.:
Draygon  :lol:

Upd.2:
Escape was easy.

cout

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up!  It is very helpful.

I am taking a break from working on this project for a short while.  It's amazing how easy it is to become obsessed with creating a virtual world, but the IRL world needs me.  I hope to get back to this soon and fix some of the bugs that you and others reported.

In the meanwhile, I wanted to a couple of these:

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 16, 2023, 10:42:32 AM
- Ceres blows up in the intro but you still visit it and blow it up again anyway? (Nice intro videos btw, I don't think I've seen another hack that adds new videos)

Yes, Samus travels back in time after the intro (hence the quantum time engine).  I will try to make this more clear.

- You ended up removing the GT code in the process of gutting Gold Torizo?

[spoiler]
The GT code routine is still reachable, but not by pressing all four face buttons when entering a torizo room in norfair.  There is something different you must do to trigger it.
[/spoiler]

H A M

[spoiler]this hack doesn't have ketchup[/spoiler]

JohnnieEpic

Started playing this a bit last night up to Kraid, interesting so far!

GUZROCK

Thanks for making this. The escape was funny and I liked it a lot.
I hope my daughter plays it one day =)