News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Is Limit worth redeeming?

Started by drb, August 26, 2022, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drb

I've been reading a lot of old reviews lately, and a line in RealRed's review of Limit really stuck with me...

A valuable gem that somehow broke itself. Perhaps someday someone will piece it together?

I've always felt that Limit was a good hack for its time, more influential than it gets credit for, but manages to shoot itself in the foot at a couple of key points.  I've been thinking of trying to spot-fix some of these issues (Plasma gauntlet, bluesuit room, dark room behind Ridley, escape) as kind of a "my first mod" project, but it's a seventeen-year-old hack that hasn't exactly aged well in terms of overall look and feel, and a full overhaul/modernization would be well out of my depth.  So the question is: would it even be worth it?

Metaquarius

Uh no.... the hack isn't very enjoyable overall. At best, you'll end up like Screwed Chopped And Restitched, which didn't make the hack any better.

Why not making a new hack from scratch with your very own ideas ?

If you really really want a small project to tackle, I'd rather suggest BlockLand. Adding save stations, fixing some bugs and completing the final area. Of course, its visual presentation may be offputting to some, but it is also very unique.

Digital_Mantra

Limit was one of my favorite hacks back in the day, it probably doesn't live up to my nostalgia and I had thought about remaking it but effort..

Noxus

I agree, Screwed and Chopped was massively broken, but putting it back together didn't improve the base of the game, which has to be good to begin with for the effort it takes worth doing. Limit is one of the better hacks (for it's time), but I don't know if minor changes are enough to improve it much more than what it is.

That been said, it would be a good way to introduce yourself to the basics of rom hacking.

RT-55J

Limit is a challenge hack, so I think it goes without saying that it won't appeal to everyone. Adjusting it's difficulty feels contrary to the purpose of the hack.

If nothing else, a patch that fixes the alleged inconsistency with the bluesuit elevator might be worth putting on the main site as an unofficial revision.

Maybe it's savepoint distribution would also be worth adjusting (idk).

DonnyDonovan

It is a challenge hack, but a bearable one for players who want to play something hard but not like impossible or some of the other crazy challenge hacks.  Except the plasma gauntlet, which is 10/10 on the difficulty scale.

I liked limit a lot in the day but probably haven't touched it in a decade.  I'd probably give Limit with a coat of paint a quick run.  Limit and Legacy were the games that got me into playing SM hacks so any playthrough would largely be for nostalgia purposes.