News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Screwed Chopped and Restitched

Started by Noxus, December 25, 2021, 07:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noxus

Screwed and Chopped has been renovated and now playable! Original game had many rooms that were freezing the game and/or dumped you in the middle of nowhere. Some items have been relocated and many rooms remapped. For being from 2006 a lot of the authors ideas were pretty innovative. Issues I believe they had were attempting to get an unused "Unknown" species to work (every room crashed w/ this enemy in it). Likely out of frustration the author just sort of released it as is. I hope I succeeded in bringing the spirit of the original into the game.

Original author: InsomniaDX

Thanks Caauyjdp and Sickwood for helping beta test.
Also thanks PJBoy and Moehr for help with countdown timer.

Few issues to note:

Pausing during the Kraid fight will make the screen show only the background, and you will have to exit and reenter the room. Enter Kraid's room with Ice beam equipped.

100% completion = 35%

updated v1.8

DonnyDonovan

This is actually kind of fun.  I think I might be softlocked though.  I'm low in a watery area, save room to my right, grey door to my left, no gravity suit, a silver pirate that nothing kills, and no way to get out as the jump is too high.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 04, 2022, 11:28:11 PM
This is actually kind of fun.  I think I might be softlocked though.  I'm low in a watery area, save room to my right, grey door to my left, no gravity suit, a silver pirate that nothing kills, and no way to get out as the jump is too high.
send a screen of the map where you 're at?

Sickwood

Yeah, probably the room where as soon as you enter you are encountered with a tall ledge with water below. Its hard to resist jumping in and was a soft lock for me too. A lesson on don't jump into the deep end if you can't swim. Or don't eat 30 mins before swimming, can't remember.

Noxus

I guess you got up here w/o high jump?

The author had this open more than it is now, I added spikes also to help ppl to not go up there yet. Author also changed the bomb jumping timing I think because of this situation as well. And you need Ice Beam, which is near high jump boots.

DonnyDonovan

Negative.  I have neither ice nor high jump and that's not a spot I've seen yet.  I'll try to figure out how to post a screen shot.  I'm underwater and have the virus (Varia) suit but not gravity.  I went past an eye door earlier so I think I may have stupidly skipped something important and I now can't get back.  I beat the mini Kraid boss and got that reward, but keep running into unkillable pirates. 

Noxus

Did you happen to go around by Kraids room before here? If so I'm afraid you may indeed be permastuck. Sorry 'bout that. This issue has been resolved in the recent update.  :^_^:

DonnyDonovan

If by Kraid's room you mean the smaller Kraid in the picture in the first post then yeah I sure did.  Beat him.  It's OK I'll start over it shouldn't take me long to get back.

Edit:  Real Kraid exists.  Is the graphical glitch later in the fight a thing or version-specific? I'm using ZSNES.  I assume I need plasma or screw attack to beat the green pirates?  Hint as to where I should be looking?  Kinda going in circles right now.  Last item obtained was space jump and spazer.  This game started really easy but later on it toughens up a fair bit as many of the enemies hit really hard.  All the beam switching is a bit annoying.

Noxus

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 05, 2022, 11:29:44 PM
If by Kraid's room you mean the smaller Kraid in the picture in the first post then yeah I sure did.  Beat him.  It's OK I'll start over it shouldn't take me long to get back.

Edit:  Real Kraid exists.  Is the graphical glitch later in the fight a thing or version-specific? I'm using ZSNES.  I assume I need plasma or screw attack to beat the green pirates?  Hint as to where I should be looking?  Kinda going in circles right now.  Last item obtained was space jump and spazer.  This game started really easy but later on it toughens up a fair bit as many of the enemies hit really hard.  All the beam switching is a bit annoying.
yes the beam switching is annoying but each beam affects the space pirates differently. Also plz download the latest version, major fix update. (rename rom to 1.5 if you wish to start from last save)

I would look for a tall spike shaft to space jump up to (or shinespark if you can ;)

DonnyDonovan

Thanks for doing this with some of these older hacks.  This has been worth playing.  There's lots of stuff out there in various states of completion that's worthy of seeing the light of day.  Seriously, this is an awesome service you're providing the hack-playing community.  I did find gravity and plasma and I'm back on my way with all major upgrades except [spoiler]screw attack[/spoiler]. 

The game froze right here.  Reverted to an earlier save state and was able to get past.  Happened again one time when experimenting.  Not sure what triggers it.  Music keeps playing but wholly unable to move.

Noxus

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 07, 2022, 08:57:57 AM
Thanks for doing this with some of these older hacks.  This has been worth playing.  There's lots of stuff out there in various states of completion that's worthy of seeing the light of day.  Seriously, this is an awesome service you're providing the hack-playing community.  I did find gravity and plasma and I'm back on my way with all major upgrades except [spoiler]screw attack[/spoiler]. 

The game froze right here.  Reverted to an earlier save state and was able to get past.  Happened again one time when experimenting.  Not sure what triggers it.  Music keeps playing but wholly unable to move.

Thx Donny, I'll take a look at it. Might be because I changed the speed of the enemy to move faster than it originally did.

DonnyDonovan

I beat it.  Up to 32.8% of items found.  Is the missing item I mentioned in the game?  I never found it.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 08, 2022, 05:58:40 PM
I beat it.  Up to 32.8% of items found.  Is the missing item I mentioned in the game?  I never found it.
yes it is

Noxus

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 08, 2022, 05:58:40 PM
It's worthwhile I think to go find it. The end of the game is just not really any ending, it's more of a continue to explore ending.
[spoiler] Check back in the water area where you found gravity suit. There are 2 space pirates.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Looking for the last major item and got permastuck here.

Noxus

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 09, 2022, 12:26:36 PM
Looking for the last major item and got permastuck here.

Looks like you got wedgied between a slope and a block the enemy didn't remove yet. I think I fixed it in this latest update. Kind of a rare occurance that happens sometimes. Also lowered the speed of that one enemy so it hopefully won't crash again. Kind of is what it is at this point. Thx for pointing it out  :yay:

DonnyDonovan

Yeah I figured it was a real flukey thing.  I'm exploring the Maridia area.

Edit: I never would have found the final item without ITA's map.  I figured I was done with the ball frienemy thing.  Yeah, that makes the game incredibly easy.  I'm at 34.6% so just missing a very few items.  Not sure if I'm going to keep looking or not. 

Noxus

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 09, 2022, 04:32:38 PM
Yeah I figured it was a real flukey thing.  I'm exploring the Maridia area.

Edit: I never would have found the final item without ITA's map.  I figured I was done with the ball frienemy thing.  Yeah, that makes the game incredibly easy.  I'm at 34.6% so just missing a very few items.  Not sure if I'm going to keep looking or not.
Awesome! Yeah it's one of those games where finding all the items doesn't really make it that better of an experience. Sometimes it's best just to play through and occasionally find something you didn't see before and say 'oh hey cool, a missile' :)

And I can't guarantee my percent is 100% correct. Am I saying that right? lol