News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Fan Game test

Started by Broken Rhodonite, January 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken Rhodonite

v1.02*
Yay, new update!
I changed the speed of animations, and re-designed the morphball animation completely.
I took the last test rooms, and scraped them
still working on samus animations ( not the best at working with samus's sprites )
Used Kousoru engine to build off of (plz don't hate me!  :grin: )
~~~~~~
*complete redesign of test rooms
*got rid of phantom doors
*fixed slope glitches
*changed music and sounds
*updated graphics stuff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RoODe7hejkRElKVFRMY3doRmc/view?usp=sharing

Kiteguy666

Okay, I'm gonna test it right now

Broken Rhodonite

Quote from: Kiteguy666 on January 08, 2017, 01:46:07 PM
Okay, I'm gonna test it right now

I put up a new link, the last one had an error with 2 slopes getting samus stuck  :^_^:

Kiteguy666

Okay, It's good. But, one of the problems is the door transitions. I sometimes get stuck on a door. And for the first link you sent me, the Geemers don't even move.

Broken Rhodonite

I have no idea why there were even doors in the link I sent, but I removed them, and the geemers
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3azKMl0SLmxMEZMUVRUdnAtMnM/view?usp=sharing

FelixWright

TobiMikami

This is the Kousoru engine. I don't know what exactly you're trying to demonstrate, I don't see a whole lot of content except a main room, which has several quickly obvious bugs. Certain slopes towards the far left don't work, there's an invisible door that brings you back to an original room from the Kousoru engine, simultaneously a perma-stuck since it doesn't transfer Samus properly.

Broken Rhodonite

Quote from: TobiMikami on January 08, 2017, 11:22:06 PM
I don't know what exactly you're trying to demonstrate, I don't see a whole lot of content except a main room, which has several quickly obvious bugs. Certain slopes towards the far left don't work, there's an invisible door that brings you back to an original room from the Kousoru engine, simultaneously a perma-stuck since it doesn't transfer Samus properly.

I'm aware of the bugs and will be fixing them shortly, the reason I put this in here is to see what people like about it, I'll be putting up 1 or 2 more updates nothing else, it's just a test.

( P.S. I changed quite a few things including music, tiles, sprites, objects, and backgrounds. )

TobiMikami

The thing is that there isn't much to like for anybody who realizes whose engine this is, because there's nothing in the way of original content. The tilesets are still tilesets from other Metroid games, there's no new items, the level design isn't bad, but it's an engine, it's meant to be a base to build a game. If you're building a game with this, that's a totally different ball game, but if that IS the case, you shouldn't market it as an engine, otherwise people are going to think you're trying to rebrand the Kousoru engine as your own, without any new content in the way of powerups, abilities, physics, etc. People who want to download an engine don't want their levels designed for them, it's like selling someone the functionality of a car so they can design the body around it.

Broken Rhodonite

I spent a long time trying to fix bugs, and graphical glitches, as well as re-creating the test area
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RoODe7hejkRElKVFRMY3doRmc/view?usp=sharing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Screenshots:
[spoiler]  [/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Hackmi

What Tobi said is 100% correct, I started up similar to you.
And mine is still just getting to a stage where it is presentable, I suggest you should not go public this quick, wait until you have made more rooms, more design, etc.

You have lots to improve.

Hackmi

I'm willing to help you out a little, if you want.
It's always nice to see new fangames in the works, i still think you made it public far too early though. I know the ins and outs of kousorus engine, hell I used make my game with it for about 6 months. I remember first time TobiMikami came to one of my videos, did some critiquing and from there i only got better.
I can likely teach you a few things about the engine. Would be a pleasure to help a fellow fan game maker!
See you next mission.