News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Colored Samus Item Window

Started by RealRed, October 19, 2014, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealRed

I wonder what Bloodsonic is up to?

Yes, this is all in the same rom... And now it's yours to play with!
I think my pictures explain what this patch does. Samus now has three palettes, one for each suit, which can be easily modified with the beauty salon.

HOW DO I EDIT THE COLORS?
Go to the Beauty Salon in SMILE, and put in 1B7200 2F. Line 1 is power suit, line 2 is varia, and line 3 is gravity. 1B7020 1F for the standard HUD colors line, which is loaded by default when you first open the pause menu.
Be aware! the repeating yellow is used in the HUD for the reserve tank auto icon, and the highlighted square on the map.
Also, the three greens for the visor and the three browns for the arm cannon are used for secondary weapons on the HUD. Colors were chosen to be minimally invasive for the HUD but are not separate, so edit with both entities in mind.

WHAT WAS CHANGED?

• All of Samus' wireframe tiles. (par two unused ones left untouched)
  • MODE in the reserve tank window
  • AUTO on the HUD (note: this may or may not mess up your map tiles if you've made changes, so be aware)
  • $82B5C5, $82B5E3, $8291BE, and $82F70F for the color changing assembly.

SPECIAL THANKS:
Super Metroid SAC for inspiration
Scyzer for the color changing assembly.

Enjoy!

Quietus

That's pretty cool.  Does it have the graphical change for equipping Hi-Jump?

RealRed

Quietus

Cool.  I never liked that wire frame version anyway. :^_^:

Lunaria

Nice! Too bad it's not going to work very well for hacks that messes a lot with the HUD colours. :v

RealRed

Crys: it only modifies the HUD palette that's loaded specifically for when the player is paused. 50% of that palette was unused grays, redundant blacks anyway... not to mention no hack has actually modified that specific palette line, as far as I know. (not even project base! Grime only edited line 1. :)
When you unpause, the HUD will continue using the area palette lines 1 and 2, so your HUD colors are safe.

SpoOkyMagician

:whoa: Neat! :grin: Good job Bloodsonic.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Metaquarius

Those suits are looking great. Well done !

Zephoras

Permission to use with credits? :)

Jiffy

Love it! Just a question, are the palettes the exact same as the normal Suit Palettes? Because if so, I can import each suit palette and save a lot of time. :^_^:

Quietus

Quote from: Zephoras on November 15, 2014, 01:08:57 PM
Permission to use with credits? :)
Pretty much everything that's shared here is for everyone to use freely.  Crediting is not necessary, though it doesn't cost anything to do so, and helps cement the community spirit, so gopher it. :^_^:

Zephoras

RealRed

... But credit makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and when I feel warm and fuzzy I tend to be more inclined to draw more graphics, so let's make cement!

Jefe: Unfortunately, it's not the same palette as samus' suits, so you'll have to do some editting. Fortunately though it's only one line per suit, so it can't take more than ten minutes out of your day.

Zephoras

Sounds great! I shall get hacking.

Lunaria

Should I bother to go back and implement this to IM? (Yay/Nay)

Quietus

As usual, it's up to you.  Your hack, and all that. :^_^:

Lunaria

Yeah... this palette structure and colouring leaves something to desired when it comes to non-vanilla palettes...

:<

RealRed

Yeah. The actual available space for palettes was a pretty big pain in the ass, and even then the arm cannon/visor still have to share palettes with the HUD. I could add an extra color to the helmet, but that demands simplifying other areas, which I didn't really want to do.

you're always welcome to make the thing more efficient. It suits my needs, so I'm not too interested in reworking it (again..), but if you can make it better for customization, please do.

maxipower

Amazing work, added to my rom hack. :)

This community continues to surprise me. :)

RealRed

:archie:

So I've been doing some tinkering with tilemaps lately, and lo and behold, there's actually a completely unused palette row loaded with the title screen. This doesn't necessarily mean more colors I can add, because I already used all 16, but this would mean that Samus's colors could be completely independent from the HUD's. essentially, the three browns and three greens wouldn't be "required" (used by the HUD) and could be redistributed (ie. to the helmet, which has a measly 1 unique color).

Is anyone interested enough or feel like this might be necessary to their hack?

DSO

Yes, I think that might be necessary for hacks with custom suit palettes. (like mine nudge nudge)

passarbye

I say go for it. I'm already using this patch for my hack as well, just haven't played with the palettes yet.

RealRed

Alright, so it's looking like an update will be mandatory considering how useful palette freedom will be, and it would've been quick too,
HOWEVER.
today, I've successfully learned how to make different items (other than varia and high-jump) change samus's tilemap.
This opens up a lot of possibilities. Using the current tilemap scheme, it would be very space consuming to make several items change the image, but it's still possible.
Perhaps, morph ball could increase the number of segments that make up samus's torso, speedbooster adds parts to samus's lower legs, or screw attack adds more lights around her body. Even X-ray could add an (albeit permenant) change to samus' visor.

I dunno. This is pretty big in terms of creative freedom. What's everybody interested in seeing?

(Note: Without custom code to save space, new gfx/table for every single item including beams is so far out of the picture. Each combo needs a new tilemap, so every on/off item would be 14x13x12x11x10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1. That's 87,178,291,200 combinations. A few too many for a super nintendo game, so DON'T ask for that unless you can help optimize the tilemaps.)

Quietus

I'd say you may be better off providing a guide on how to alter it, rather than a patch.  That way, if hackers want to change it or one, five, or all items, they can.

Zhs2

That is, if they possess the amazing patience and graphical skill RealRed seems to use for this kind of thing often. I'd think it'd just be a listing of tilemaps, though, if it was a guide. Which can already be found on the site...