News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Area Names on Map

Started by Cpt.Glitch, December 08, 2014, 08:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Glitch

Yet another n00b question from me.  :<_<: How would I add/remove the pink area names on the map? For instance, how would I remove the word Brinstar, (under an elevator) and how would I add another word such as hive or norfair? I've used the word tiles inside the map editor and the become garbled trash on the in-game map. The names that are already in vanilla don't appear in the map editor as well.

FullOfFail

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68301023/Area%20Names.txt

This will help you for the area names at the very top of the map, but for your question, that has to do with the gfx in the status screen.
If you go into TLP, and locate 001B0000, that's where the status screen will be (might have to put the mode into gameboy), and it'll have those names you're referring to. Personally, I just erase them all, but there's ways of replacing and moving them.

A easier method would be to use DC's Map patch and manually putting all the letters in, and spelling them on the map that way.
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,151.0.html

Mettyk25jigsaw

In a HEX Editor data for those pink area names near elevators start at '1474D', however it starts there with a bunch of pointers, each pointer is a pointer to the data you need to modify for the area names on map. And the pointers are in order of these worlds...

1. Crateria
2. Brinstar
3. Norfair
4. Wrecked Ship
5. Maridia
6. Tourian

Where the pointers point to contains a number of entries for each world, each entry are 6 bytes long and they are 3 sets of 2 byte pairs of data (3 x 2 = 6)

First pair = XX YY  ====XX is the X-axis point as to where the area name is positioned and starts from the left of map.
                                    YY = if it's '00'  it will be placed in the left half of map---if it is '01' it will be placed in the right half of map...

2nd pair = AA BB  ====AA Is the Y-Axis point as to where the area name is positioned and starts from the top of map.
                                    BB Really only needs to be '00'...

3RD PAIR = CC DD  ===CC is the world ==59 = Crateria
                                                                5A = Brinstar
                                                                5B = Norfair
                                                                5C = W ship
                                                                5D = Maridia
                                                                5E = Tourian

DD is always '00'

Entries for each world will have an ending value of 'FF FF' to tell the game to stop loading entries...Hope this helps.

If you want no entries for area names on map for any world, I would suspect that putting 'FF FF' as the first 2 bytes where the pointers point to would do that...

Cpt.Glitch

Thanks guys. I'm using the TLP method. I never realized how useful it actually was.

FullOfFail

If you're doing this the TLP way, I should also note that most things have to be changed on the HUD aswell, which can be found at 000D3150. For the map boxes in particular, you have to change both. Takes some patience and care, but the possibilities are rewarding.

Cpt.Glitch

Ok thanks, that'll be Important. :) You wouldn't also have the offset for the title screen tiles would you?

RealRed

If you want to move a name elsewhere, be sure to check out Scyzer's map icon guide; the most useful doc in the game.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this.
I know Metty's post about explains it but this one is a little bit more in-depth (and includes more icons as well).

I don't know the offset of the tiles, but if you open the rom in TLP and scroll down about 3/4ths I think, you're likely to find a large block of graphics for the map, pause menu, samus wireframe, etc. It's tough to miss.

Cpt.Glitch

Ok guys thanks I got what I needed. Got rid of the vanilla map names. But, I have an...error or bug I'd like to ask about. When I load my game on say Samus B, it will show the map that I have on Samus A. Even though B is brand new and hasn't been played on yet.  If it can't be fixed, no big deal, but I'd like it to be gone so it doesn't look like I just blew through making my first hack you know.