News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SMILE Help please, Minimap

Started by Stir-Fry, July 13, 2014, 11:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stir-Fry

What does Kejmap do? 
How do i find the palette for the mini-map?
What are all the Xs in the graphics?    Can i change them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Retroo

about the x in the graphics if you want to edit them, in smile go to tools craphics editor then press one x tile [spoiler][/spoiler]  then drag parts from the right [spoiler][/spoiler]  on to this one [spoiler][/spoiler] when you feel done press save 16x16 tile to rom. sorry for so many pictures ;D

Quietus

On another note, unless you have repointed the graphics in the game, following retro's instructions will likely kill your ROM. :neutral:

personitis

Quote from: Stir-Fry on July 13, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
What does Kejmap do?
I'm not completely sure of everything the KejMap does, but I do know it fixes map saving upon reloading a save file. You may notice in some hacks, after you reload from a save, that the map suddenly seems to be missing tiles/rooms that you've already explored. Yea, KejMap stops that from happening as far as I know.

QuoteHow do i find the palette for the mini-map?
This I can provide information only for the map that appears on the mini-map. :cry:

Palette line 0; colors 9, A, E: Pink (shared with missile pickup), white (shared with energy tanks for the HUD), white (shared with numbers on the HUD).
Palette line 1; colors D & E: Orange and red (only used for blinking on mini-map as far as I'm aware).

If you're a little confused on what I mean by palette lines and their colors, click the spoiler below.
[spoiler]
In the graphics editor, where all the colors are located, you'll see they are laid out in rows with numbers off to the right. That number represents what palette line those colors belong to. As for figuring out which color is which, you'll count the rows left to right, in hexadecimal. Chart:

Line 0 - [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [A] [B] [C] [D] [E] [F]
Line 1 - [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [A] [B] [C] [D] [E] [F]

[/spoiler]

QuoteWhat are all the Xs in the graphics? Can i change them?
As retroknuckles has said, you can edit those in the graphics editor but also take note of what Quietus has said. If you go about just replacing x's, you're writing more data to the ROM in that area and since all the tiletables are located close to each other, you could easily end up writing data into the next tiletable and potentially other pieces of sensitive information that make the ROM function.

To avoid this, you can either use DSO's repoint patch (.ips file) or read up on Squishy's guide (.rtf document) to doing so.

Hope all this helps! :lol!:

Quote58

Just to add to person's kej map explanation, it is useless at this point. As I recall, it can cause further problems, instead I suggest using Scyzer's map patch which fixes everything and does more iirc.

personitis

Thanks for the addition Quote. Don't just talk about it, link it as well lazy!