News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

general help

Started by chozo echo, December 09, 2013, 05:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chozo echo

ok sorry if it has been discussed on here i do remember reading something on it along time ago but i can't remember if it was on here or on metroid 2002 mind you, but how would i go about taking the black screen  off while transitioning  through the door  if any one could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated thx

FullOfFail

I haven't messed with it much but there's this patch made by Rakki.

It had this in it's notes:
[spoiler=Door Speedups]
Doubles the speed of the fadeout/in effect and door slide effect on going through a door. NOTE: There is a slightly noticable graphical flicker present on some doors when playing in Snes9x. This is an issue of a problem with the emulator, not this patch, as it happens with the original ROM in certain circumstances, too. Regardless, I've done what I can to make it as unnoticable as possible.[/spoiler]

And also there's a hex tweak:

15962 - 0C to ??
Adjusts how quickly the screen fades to/from black when going through doors. 04 = faster, 0C = standard, 1C = slower, etc. (found by DSO)

Write back if you're having any issues, I'm sure others could help you out.

chozo echo

not quite what im looking for, but very interesting nonetheless  thx for trying :)

personitis

I do believe that there wouldn't be a pretty way of disabling the fade out from the doors since, iirc, once the room's faded out, it uses that time to unload the current room and graphics and then load the next on fade in. I'd say your best best is indeed using the door speed ups unless someone more knowledgeable than myself can confirm otherwise.

Jathys

An old code of mine does part of what you want, though you may not like the results. It can prevent the fade of layer 1 (layer 2 blinks out instantly), but there are some side effects to this. For example:
1) If the room you're entering has a different graphic set, it's updated in a flash in front of your eyes and looks garbled until then. Easy fix is to only use CRE tiles near the doors. Not an issue if the same graphic set is used.
2) Enemy palettes aren't updated with this hijack code. Someone *could* get them to, but I never bothered. Result is that enemies from the next room will use whatever palettes were loaded for enemies in the previous room. Not an issue if the enemies are the same from room to room.
3) You are still at the mercy of the room "slider". Even though layer 1 doesn't fade, it still looks quite mechanical.
4) Quite possibly messes up the escape shaft of Ceres for some messed up reason.
5) Other quirks? Probably. This was more a proof-of-concept than anything else.

Short, sweet, but limited. Intended for a headerless rom. Basically, if the Room Index of the room you're leaving is 00, it won't fade when entering the next room. Otherwise, it should act normally. (So if you want to see the effect, you need to change a few Room Indexes to 00).
[spoiler="No Headers"]At $015A3A, you should see 9D 00 C0. If you don't, you're probably using a headered rom (in which case you'll see that $200 bytes later). If your rom is headered, remove the header before making any changes.[/spoiler]
[spoiler="What to do"]Again at $015A3A, replace the 9D 00 C0 with 20 10 F7. That is our hijack point that jumps to our code.
Now go to $017710. As long as you haven't put anything else there, you should see a bunch of FF's. Blank space. Enter the following:
48 AD 9D 07 D0 02 68 60 68 9F 00 C0 7E 60
It's not pretty, but it should be done.[/spoiler]

chozo echo

thx guys it was very helpfully and yes thats the coding i have bin looking for. its very appreciated :)