News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Top Hacks 2012 Discussion

Started by MetroidMst, December 07, 2012, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

This isn't the official poll. This is to discuss the hacks and bring out our points about them before that happens. This will keep the nomination topic clean and easy to read, plus it allows for free discussion about the hacks and why we are for/against for any reason. The poll is after the nominations, and that will be sometime after the end of the year.

Quietus

The only thing that really jumped out at me was the fact that I wouldn't really consider Project Base a released hack.  At its core, it's the original game.  I know it has tweaks and graphical updates, but it just feels weird to think of it as a hack in the normal sense.

Prime Hunter

I was looking through the 2009-2011 Top Hack threads and noticed that updates to hacks were included in the nominations, such as Phazon 0.3. If that's still true, shouldn't Eris 2012 be on this year's list?

Digital_Mantra

I already got awards for that, would be stupid to put it back in the roster.

Zhs2

I could swear I put it on there. Dammit, that's another one I missed. As for it being stupid, we've done it for Phazon Hack and Project Base before. I don't see why a hack should be disqualified new version-wise if it has received enough content change to be significantly different; if it hasn't, or people just weren't that won over by the new stuff, popular vote will say so. Phazon Hack has definitely won its fair share of awards from sexy new graphisms, but I wonder if it would continue to do so being the same thing yet only slightly different over a number of years. Hmm.

Digital_Mantra

All I really added to E2012 was aesthetic changes and a new area and some other subtle stuff.
When I said 'stupid' I wasn't being hateful to the guidelines of the yearly top hack awards.
I just think there's lots of new cool hackers around here and they should be getting some awards for their awesomeness.

Weterr123

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on December 07, 2012, 08:47:06 PM
I just think there's lots of new cool hackers around here and they should be getting some awards for their awesomeness.

While this is true, people will still recognise the veteran hackers and want to praise them for their latest exploits, especially if those exploits are a significant improvement on a previous success. Let them dude  :lol:

I know that I, for one, am eagerly anticipating for Phazon 0.4, ProjectBase 0.7, and Eris 2015 (joke)

And with regards to the topic of this thread, I cannot give a fair point as I have not really played any minihacks (except for that temporus one), which accounts for half this list.

Eppy37

I can't really make an opinion on the list because I've only played 3 out of the 11 on the list(and I need to replay one of those 3 in a few days)(And I though I was running out of hacks to play...)

Nikoshiba

Is there an "all-time Top" for Super Metroid Hacks...

I played the mini-hack "Black Plague" et I'm now on "Super Zero Mission"...
But I'm looking for the next hack I'll play...

I thought about Advent as it is a mini one but then...?

So is there a topic where I can find a poll of your favorite ones ?

Zhs2

If there was an all-time best, nobody would have a reason to make hacks anymore.

As for a poll, there is none. As for a topic, a quick search found this one.

As for this topic, it is rather old. Feel free to come back however at the end of this year when we have Top Hacks 2013... if we have Top Hacks 2013... /me locks this topic with a tear in his eye