News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Donkey Kong Country: 3-digit life counter patch

Started by JAM, August 24, 2012, 02:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAM

Small patch that will show 3 digits in life counter if you have 100 or more lifes. It took 4 hours to make.

I don't know what are you thinking, but I was pissed after getting more that 99 lifes. Because it's easy to get more than 99 lives in world 4 or even in world 3 if enter all bonuses, collect golden animal statues and gain at least 8 lifes in every animal bonus level. Life counter becoming useless just displaying "99" meaning "a lot", which I don't like. So, I tried and finally did the patch.

What could I say? Yeeeeeaaaahhhhaaaaaaaawwww! My skill is enough to hack not only Super Metroid, but also other SNES games that have no RAM and ROM Maps. ASM is the power! Knowing ASM and editing games like this is as cool as getting ORAl SECs, I tell you...

There are 7 patches inside the archive. E and J ROMs are having 2 versions of the game: 1.0 and 1.1 (aka REV 1). U ROM is having 3 versions: 1.0, 1.1 (aka REV 1) and 1.2 (aka REV 2). J version of the game is named as Super Donkey Kong. Detect version that you have (looking at file name) and apply certain patch to unheadred (size of 4096k) ROM. And make backups as usual!

What I did:
[spoiler]
1. Searched the RAM for life counter. ZSNES have a perfect cheat searcher.
2. Searched the ROM for check for 99 lifes. When you have more than 99, counter just says 99. So, I was searching for "C9 63 00", "E0 63 00" and "C0 63 00" aka CMP, CPX and CPY #$0063.
3. Found the right check. I've found several checks. So the needed one that have loaded the certain value from RAM.
4. Did a few tweaks to the code that displaying life counter.
5. Eventually understood how the code is working.
6. Found a free space and wrote my own section of code in hex editor.
7. Did a patch for every existing version of the game.
[/spoiler]

Parabox

Nice little patch. Is this for the normal (U), Rev A, Rev B, or all?

Quietus

Quote from: JAM on August 24, 2012, 02:21:50 AMThere are 7 patches inside the archive. E and J ROMs are having 2 versions of the game: 1.0 and 1.1 (aka REV 1). U ROM is having 3 versions: 1.0, 1.1 (aka REV 1) and 1.2 (aka REV 2). J version of the game is named as Super Donkey Kong.