News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The full Super Metroid Map

Started by Aerosol, September 10, 2010, 03:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerosol

Hey guys. I'm crawling all over the internet looking for a full map of Super Metroid. I don't mean a diagram illustrating the general locations of rooms and items, I mean a full, proper map, as you would play through in the game.

The reason I'm looking for this is because I want to practice some 3D landscape and area modelling, and I thought that Super Metroid would be as good as any a series to base anything from. Also, I'm not promising anything at all, but I've also been mulling over the possibility of using the Unreal Development Kit for something Metroid related. Again, definitely not promising or implying a promise or plan here. Just saying.

squishy_ichigo

http://www.metroid-database.com/sm/sm_pixelmap.png

your welcome ;D

edit: its big, open at your internet connections discretion

Quietus

You could always try this.  Interactivity is fun.

Aerosol

Funny thing is, I was on Metroid Db, and I just didn't see it. I love you guys so hard right now, thanks a million.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a simple faq that lists, in order, what things must happen in what order in a Super Metroid playthrough? This is more tied into the 'possibility' aspect of my first post.

Tyjet66

Quote from: Aerosol on September 10, 2010, 04:57:45 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of a simple faq that lists, in order, what things must happen in what order in a Super Metroid playthrough? This is more tied into the 'possibility' aspect of my first post.
Ceres
Land on Zebes
Find morphball
Find Missiles
Find Bomb torizo/bombs
Everything else including but not limited to: Bosses, minibosses, missile/super missile/powerbom/e-tank/r-tank collection, all equipment upgrade collection
Go to Boss statue
Invade Tourain
Find baby (giant) metroid
Pass Zebitites
Kill Mother Brain
Escape Zebes on your ship

Asking for a definite order of events that must happen in a non-linear game is near impossible...

Aerosol

I suppose...I never really delved into Metroid that deeply, so whenever I played things tended to happen in a certain order. Especially with the beam weapons.

Infact, I'm pretty sure you have to get the charge beam before you get anything else. But I'll just consult a walkthrough if the possibility becomes anything more than that.

Tyjet66

Quote from: Aerosol on September 10, 2010, 05:30:20 PM
Infact, I'm pretty sure you have to get the charge beam before you get anything else. But I'll just consult a walkthrough if the possibility becomes anything more than that.

Morhpball -> missiles -> bombs is always the required route, after that, I get Super missiles then charge beam.

Aerosol

Really? I don't think I've ever done that...or maybe I have and I just wasn't paying attention.

You know, this board seems a bit more active than Metroid Database. I tried to start a serious discussion over there about what Super Metroid would be like as a Prime game and...discussion is slow going. Which forum would be the best one here to have a discussion like that? Or should I even just rename the topic title of this one and have the discussion here? I'm really interested in what hardcore Super Metroid fans have to say on the subject.

Kasel

Charge Beam is NOT required to beat the game.  You can go through the whole thing without it or any of the beam upgrades for that matter EXCEPT for Ice beam.  That's for the original anyways.

zephyrtronium

Ice isn't required if you have enough power bombs.

Kasel

Well having Ice Beam is just way more convenient then trying to use nothing but power bombs. o.o

Aerosol

While all this is true, the regular player probably won't try to go through the game without the charge beam. When I first played Super Metroid, I didn't even know there was a charge beam. I found it because I got lost looking for the next place to go to. I was damn happy I found it too, because some other places I got lost in had some pretty nasty monsters.

Same for the ice beam. It made Norfair that much more of a happy place.

Orel

I once did a super metroid run and completely skipped the varia suit, i basically had to beat kraid and get a third energy tank, do a hell run to get the ice beam, collect a bunch more energy tanks (i think you can get 6), then do another hell run to get the speed booster. (I actually got the grapple beam and wave beam too while i was at it, it's surprising how many rooms in norfair aren't actually hot.)

Zhs2

Make a new topic in off-topic, please.

Aerosol

I did ask if I should and nobody said anything. Making the new topic now.

Zhs2

Turning a topic into something it wasn't meant to be can be a very ugly thing indeed.

Bioniclegenius

Sorry for bumping this, but it seems like quite the interesting project. Also, the first link there isn't working, so, after more research, the only thing I've found is a very mini version, which isn't even really useable, and the second link here, which you can't save (as far as I know) as a single file. Anybody got any new map for this, or should I go ahead and work on making my own instead?

Zhs2

Quote from: BionicleGeniusAlso, the first link there isn't working
It isn't?

Bioniclegenius

Nope. I end up with a link that send me to a page with a png, but the png happens to be completely blank. And if I try to save it to my computer, then open it, paint says it's corrupted or an unsupported .png format. Sorry!

Lunaria

yeah, I'm experience the same problem with loading it. Funny though, as I know it worked before.

Zhs2

Bioniclegenius

Well, that also fails. When I try to open it, paint says this:

Paint cannot read this file.
This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

snarfblam

You can try a different image editor/viewer, but it worked fine with MSPaint on my computer. It ate mountains of RAM and slowed everything down having it open, but it opened.

Quietus

Dare I ask the obvious question, but you did extract it from the zip, right? :O_o:

Qactis

Quote from: Bioniclegenius on December 16, 2010, 04:46:57 PM
Well, that also fails. When I try to open it, paint says this:

Paint cannot read this file.
This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.
Don't use MSPaint (it fails) :D