News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Kraid boss defeated (Hex Editor)

Started by GUZROCK, February 20, 2023, 06:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GUZROCK

Please, I need some help.

I've been trying to change my rom in Hex editor to let Kraid already killed when you go to the statues rom.

I found this:
"Bosses Defeated [4C3]
7ED829??     7ED82903      01 - Kraid (Boss)"

I couldn't find this adress 7ED829?? in the rom.
Could someone please guide me how to change in the rom with hex editor?

My objective is when you enter in the statues room, Kraid would already be dead. Thank you  :grin:

caauyjdp

Quote from: GUZROCK on February 20, 2023, 06:47:36 AM
I couldn't find this adress 7ED829?? in the rom.

My objective is when you enter in the statues room, Kraid would already be dead. Thank you  :grin:
that's because 7E address is not part of the rom, it's a ram address.

one way to do what you want is to do these changes

file offset: 38480
original values: 3F 81 09 00
change to: B7 80 DA 84

GUZROCK

Hi,
I did that change, but it doesn't trigger the statues to go down. (considering that I already killed the other bosses)

There's an example attached.
I thought I could try to "remove" Kraid from the game changing the values to FF FF FF FF, but that crashed the game. =(

Reason for this: I've been working in a hack and I made some mistake in Kraid's room which was crashing the game. I couldn't find the reason what that happened.
My solution was to clone the doors and skip Kraid to get the Varia Suit, but when I go to the statues room, it doesn't let me go to Tourian because I cannot kill Kraid, because he's unreachable in the hack, lol.

caauyjdp

my bad :(
undo previous edit ^, and do this

file offset: 3849A
original values: 03 83 01 01
change to: B7 80 A8 84

makes you sit through the kraid statue unlocking tho, just bypasses boss check.

or alternatively, already grey

file offset: 38486
original values: 04 00 24 97
change to: B7 80 D6 84

file offset: 384D6
original values: 04 80 B2 80
change to: 50 81 09 00

unless i messed up something again :p

GUZROCK

Hey,

This one actually worked:

The alternative codes did not work. I tried all of them together and it didn't work as well

it now shows that the kraid was "killed", but even so it didn't trigger the ground to release the access to Tourian.

I recorded a video of what's going on.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FYH_o22NDw

Those "bugs" that appear in the door make part of my hack, lol

caauyjdp

How vanilla is that room? I don't see water in it. Is the FX pointer(?) still 840A?
Undo all ^ and try

file offset: 45BFC
original values: 90 20
change to: EA EA

but I suspect that code isn't running with your room edits

GUZROCK

I needed to modify this comment because it worked!!

I changed the layer type back to "26 - 4 Statues" and I made a combination of the 3 codes you said:

+
file offset: 38486
original values: 04 00 24 97
change to: B7 80 D6 84
+
file offset: 384D6
original values: 04 80 B2 80
change to: 50 81 09 00

THANKS A  LOT !!!! you guys are amazing in this Forum!

TobiMikami

I just wanted to take the opportunity to add in that if you haven't already, I would strongly advise keeping multiple backups. Especially with a hack. You never know when something like that could happen where it's game breaking only under certain conditions, and you don't  find out until you sumble upon it like you did with Kraid.

GUZROCK

@TobiMikami , thanks.

Actually, I had a backup, but it was also messed up. It is hard to say in what moment that happened because I was editing the graphics etc and when I was to test the room and went to fight Kraid, the game crashed.
I think the only way to fix that would be to program it again to the room, which is not worth in this case.