News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Beginnings

Started by A Rock, August 06, 2018, 10:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Rock

Metroid Beginnings is a remake/demake of the original NES Metroid in Zero Mission.

Features:
-Redesigned Zebes that aims to be closer to NEStroid while also adding new things
-New graphics
-Changed physics
-Purple Ridley
Is this a complete faithful remake of NEStroid in Zero Mission?
-no
Release date:
-no release date yet

Gallery
[spoiler][/spoiler]

FelixWright

This looks pretty! It's giving me Retroid vibes.

OneOf99

Those screenshots are 10/10. I'm really excited for this, it's looking really good! Those palettes are top notch!

Xyifer12

Very nice work! I really like faithful remakes, and this looks like a great one.

kkzero

When I was 9, I was into the broad hypotheticals of takes on existing video games. One of these was a remake of NEStroid for the Game Boy Advance that was significantly more faithful to the original than Zero Mission. Why I thought of this, I don't know. That was just me.

Seeing this almost immediately reminded me of that strange thought all the way back then. The point here is that this community never ceases to amaze me with these wild ideas for new takes on Metroid games, and I very much look forward to this.

Hackmi

Not gonna lie, this is the only time I have liked ZM. Please finish (or I'll steal the sprites anyway).
It looks really nice, I'd be willing to do tilesets and stuff for you.

A Rock

Updates:
Areas:
-Brinstar is 90% finished.
-Kraid is close to being finished and all that's left is 2 or 3 rooms I want to redo.
-Norfair is gonna get some new tilesets and is half-done.
-Ridley's hideout was finished months ago but felt underwhelming to me so I plan to redesign it a bit.
-Tourian just needs to have the Mother Brain chamber done and the tileset improved a bit.
Sprites:
-Most enemy graphics have been changed to look more like NEStroid and Super Metroid.
-Samus' front view sprite has been edited a little so her visor looks like the older games.
-Beam graphics have been changed to look more like NEStroid (except Power Beam).
-Varia suit will have the design from NEStroid.
-Samus' ZM ship will be replaced by a new gunship similar to the SM and Prime 2 ship.
Spolier stuff:
[spoiler]
-Crateria will be in the hack most likely as a small area.
-Chozodia is planned to be in as a semi-optional area.
-Most of the items that were optional in NEStroid will still be optional.
[/spoiler]

Screenshots:
[spoiler][spoiler]Metaree sprite still needs some work. I'm kinda mixed about the Green Wavers and the Brinstar bubbles too so I might work on those some more later[/spoiler][/spoiler]

albert v.

Awesome! this can be the Best Nestroid Remake ever! it looks very nice to me :)  keep it up!

alexman25

MetroidRuins

This looks awesome! Can't wait for it to be released. :yay: I do have a problem with the palette in the elevator room to norfair in your first set of screenshots. I think it would look a bit better if you were to make it more purple.

DestroyedChozo

This looks awesome! If you want some tilesets that are modified versions of NESTroid tiles I can give them to you, seeing as I'll never finish my NESTroid remake.

Steel Sparkle

love the new screenshots. Keep it up!

Metroid Violinist

This looks amazing, I haven't liked Zero Mission this much since... EVER!!! by far the best NESTroid remake!

A Rock

-Made new status screen gfx for Samus with help from Mccad
-Gunship gfx is still a wip
-title screen might be a placeholder
screenshots:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

MetroidRuins

Quote from: A Rock on November 14, 2018, 12:13:07 PM
screenshots:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
That is amazing! I love that status screen.

Steel Sparkle

Love those screenies dude! Keep it up!

Metroid Violinist

Quote from: A Rock on November 14, 2018, 12:13:07 PM
screenshots:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Woah! That ship is really cool looking, looks like Super yet has a similar shape to the one in Zero Mission. Also, I really like the Status screen Samus. I personally don't like the title screen though I feel like the logo should be more like the FDS version of Metroid One.

Hackmi

If this is still ongoing I'm willing to help out with just about any graphics (but mostly environmental) though it looks like you've already got that down.

A Rock

Quote from: Hackmi on November 21, 2018, 02:10:41 PM
If this is still ongoing I'm willing to help out with just about any graphics (but mostly environmental) though it looks like you've already got that down.

I prefer working alone but thanks for offering

Hackmi

Good luck, this is one of the nicest hacks I've seen, but tbh I've not seen much