News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Retroid: GBA Edition

Started by powerwindows, July 30, 2022, 02:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerwindows

Retroid: GBA Edition

(It's not up yet, I had to post before I could submit it).

No relation to the hack for Super Metroid, this is something I made because I thought the MAGE software was interesting and I had the flu. I guess it's a halfhack? Anyway, it's a port of the original NESTroid map to Zero Mission. You should be able to use the original map to complete this game. The main difference is the original had far more of a focus on platforming, so prepared your jump timing.

This isn't a difficult hack but you should be comfortable with bomb and wall jumping. Minimap is turned off because I was feeling a bit sadistic.

But this is close to Nestroid. No power grip, no space jump, no gravity suit, no ziplines, 5 missiles a door, etc.

However, there's still walljumping, beam stacking, and all the other QOL features we know and love.

Q&A

Q: There's a hack already called Retroid.
A: That's why this is Retroid: GBA Edition.

Q: Is this a 1:1 recreation?
A: No. The rooms are all in the same place, but while areas like Ridley and Norfair are interesting and well designed in the original (and hence are actually very similar to the original map in ZM anyway), Kraid in particular is the land of the copy-paste. In particular, I am thinking of the entire right hand corner of Kraid in Nestroid, which is a copy-paste dead end with literally nothing in it. Fun if you're doing a McDonalds draw-on maze as a child, not too fun when you're adventuring through the 3rd identical room with no map, totally lost.

The rooms that have been changed are done in the spirit of the original Nestroid, so there's some original puzzles and the occasional absolute dick move room in this hack. There are also additional missiles scattered around to make up for the lack of the 75 free missiles from bosses.

Q: What else have you changed?
A: The bosses are as they are in vanilla, but if they weren't in the original, they're gone. Ridley has been changed to account for the lack of a charge beam, so you can shoot him with normal beams. The default jump height is higher to account for the fact you can jump higher in Nestroid.

Q: Do bosses give me 75 missiles?
A: No, but yes. There is a 'creative' solution to this.

Q: I'm softlocked in [area]
A: There are no softlocks. You may have to wall or bomb jump to get out of where you are, but there are no softlocks on the map that I am aware of.

Q: You've ruined my video game! Never make another hack!
A: Thank you for playing my hack.

Q: You've melted my Gameboy!
A: Excellent.

Q: Why are there power bombs, etc in the screenshots?
A: Because I grabbed them off the test ROM.

Q: I found [insert massive noob mistake bug here].
A: Please let know so I can fix it. This is my first hack, so please be gentle.  :grin:

Even if you give me a single orb... thank you for playing my first hack!

Thank you to Biospark for the MAGE editor and the people that helped me on the Discord, including LetsPlayNintendoITA, who made this map.  https://i.imgur.com/rN7j89D.png