News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - May 2015

Started by squishy_ichigo, June 11, 2015, 08:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made RotM?

RT-55J
TheAnonymousUser

squishy_ichigo

Room of the Month is all about showing off your level design for any upcoming hack you may be working on, or perhaps you just wanted to create some fancy room just for the competition, who knows? This is one of the ways to show off anything WIP to the community and get constructive feedback, and maybe just maybe create the Room of the Year.

Our Great Leader the Exalted One of Dragons is too busy and pushed off RotM until the month was nearly a third over, but he has appointed me Chairman of Excellence and Master of Keys, so I'm here to tell you to VOTE ON ROTM PLEASEKAYTHANKSBYE

[spoiler=RT-55J](description: The starting room. This picture shows it in action, from a cleared save: http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/images/rotm/2015/may/RT-55JScreen.png)
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=TheAnonymousUser]
[/spoiler]

Please direct any concerns on scheduling and lack on submissions to James aka GF_Kennon.

Quietus

TAU for me. RT-55J's room is probably good for the game's restrictions, but I can't look at it and see anything but chunks of random tiles.

Mayo-chan

I'm a bit biased in that TheAnonymousUser's room looks better because it has color. RT's room looks really beautiful in its own right, and leaves more to the imagination.

CrAzY

Wow. Those rooms are both fantastic!

RT-55J -  Awesome to finally see some Metroid 2, & that is one bad ass starting room. Love how accessible the bottom area seems, too, very well made in a way to avoid confusion.

TheAnonymousUser - Pretty damn awesome. I am really pleased with how that area looks as a whole. The cave area at the bottom with the water & the blue gate is really attractive. I am a sucker for the Wrecked Ship tileset, so there might be some bias in that.
I really like your tiling above the Chozo. The removal of black tiles in the rock where you fall from / wall jump up is what I like to see.

Great job to the both of you!

Cpt.Glitch

Damn I need to get off my bum and submit something.
RT-55J - Whoa. Just seeing that this is from Metroid already makes me love the room. The tube-like floating structure on the right looks a bit wonky in my opinion, but the rest of the room is simply beautiful!

TAU- Whoa there's alot going on here. And I like it. I really am digging the cave area. It's natural look really gets me, in a good way that is. I love when things look natural, which is something I need to learn for my current project.

This month is a difficult choice, but I'm going with RT. Mainly due to it being the first Metroid 2 room I've seen, and the fact that it is so well done. TAU's was amazing too, but the WS tileset is not my favorite and is the only reason I would speak any negativity about the room.
I like them both.

Lazymoth

RT-55J: I like the flow of the room a lot. Two open paths from the get-go, one path open with morph ball and an item in the top right once you have more vertical capability. That's a lot of fun stuff in a starting point! If I had any concerns it'd be that all the different tiles used make the area seem a bit disparate. If that's to allude to what lies in those directions (rooms with bubbles to the sides, rooms with logs/tubes straight down) that would make sense, though.

TAU: I love how well you've mixed two very distinct tilesets here. Those Norfair tiles are nice to see for more natural caves, although the tiles of the dark shade that separates the walls from the black looks a bit blocky in places. I wonder if there'd be a way to easily assuade that... Also, intriguing room. The Chozo makes me wonder if you drop in from above and get the power bombs there :) And a reverse gate! I always love seeing reverse gates and wondering if you come from that direction, or if it's actually an ability gate that you need the wave beam to pass.

RT-55J

TAU: Interesting mixed tileset, and good work on the multilayering. The watery portion at the bottom has me especially interested for some reason. The only thing that seems out of place here is the hue of the doors compared to the rest of the ship, imo.

re: my own submission: Thanks for the kind words everyone. The concept/layout of the room is essentially final, though the current draft was a bit of a test to see what I did/didn't want from the tileset. I'll be refactoring the tileset to my liking pretty soon, but for the most part you won't see too much of a difference in the final product.

regarding technical limitations: Currently, Metroid 2 only allows for 128 8x8 tiles and 128 16x16 tiles per tileset, though there are some limited workarounds to this (like with the landing site). The first limitation can be removed by upgrading to the GBC, whereas the second one only requires there to be enough free RAM to store the rest of the tiletable (this is pending investigation).

I'm going with TAU's submission, because I'm not fully satisfied with my own yet.

Mon732

RT-55J: Most of the room looks great except for the 'pipes' either side of the room which end abruptly when one pipe it hits another pipe. Also, M2 hacking woo! :P

TAU: That ship has seen better days. A nice blend of natural caves and machinery. The only thing I might point out is that the cave filler looks a little jagged which clashes with the smoothness of the caves.

A close one but RT pulled ahead for me because M2 is a rare gem in ROTM. :P

Retroo

Where is the new Room of the Month?

Quietus

I saw it earlier. It was holding hands with a dodo. :wink:

Retroo

-.-