News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Ascent

Started by benox50, May 26, 2019, 11:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaktool7

I've never beaten most of it in the intended order, but spawn room has a missile pack on the righter side iirc

RT-55J

Quote from: wordup on September 18, 2021, 10:51:28 PM
Maybe I'm missing something totally obvious, but I seem to have found a softlock two minutes into the game.  I started the game and immediately went up to the left door to "Morph Bait".  I can't seem to make any progress here.  I can't get to the right side of the room to get the morph ball.
When I leave the room by going back down, it's full of lava (for some unknown reason).

I picked that door on my first playthrough, and (unless there is something else you did that I'm not aware of) that is not a softlock. You should be able to explore the rest of the area and eventually loop back around to the morph ball much later.

wordup

I understand now.  It's possible to make the jump to the left room with a running start.  The room is even titled "Samus can run".  I thought it was a reference to speed booster, which I assumed you would get from that direction.  So, no softlock.   :blush:

I will say it's strange that if you go up the room below fills with lava.  It was this behavior that made me think there was a problem.  I hadn't done anything to make the room fill up, and suddenly I (thought I) could no longer explore doors I'd already seen.  Apparently if the first door you go in is the one on the right, you can see it fill up when you return.

Thanks for the help.  I've completed the first area now.  Sorry for being braindead :)

SpookerK

Why is shinespark the way it is? It's so weird

benox50

It is weird, for real I was unsure of it during the gameplay phase, cause it looked ridiculous.
Then slowing it down, things started to work and it was like a new movement state, a bit like how morph is a different movement state.
What made me decide was to try something different and special tiles that affect it,
the slow speed is important for player navigation on small snes screen and balance against other movements.

SpookerK

I've since completed the game, and I'll say I do love the puzzles and possibilities with this mechanic, it just feels a little wrong to be missing original shinespark. If both were present and like used to break different blocks I'd have no issue
But hey props for trying something different, this hack was brilliant anyways.

bb00

The room "Burning Curiosity" has a hardlock bug. Well graphics and gameplay freeze but music and background sound effects continue. Accidentally done it to myself twice now. Can't post a direct link to the image because first time post limitations.

At the top of the grappling hook climb it is possible to length your beam so the by swinging Samus around you land on the platform while still grappling the block. Bam instant hardlock. I know the vanilla game had a few places you could also do this but no hardlock there that I remember.

Due to save point locations I lost a good 15 minutes of progress twice. Well three times but only twice to the bug. 2nd attempt at the room I became deep fried. I can't grapple under pressure apparently.

[edit] 
Can I add the link by editing my first message?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/326865237376630787/1052794711728996352/image.png

rpmac

Quote from: bb00 on December 14, 2022, 10:57:58 PM
The room "Burning Curiosity" has a hardlock bug. Well graphics and gameplay freeze but music and background sound effects continue. Accidentally done it to myself twice now. Can't post a direct link to the image because first time post limitations.

At the top of the grappling hook climb it is possible to length your beam so the by swinging Samus around you land on the platform while still grappling the block. Bam instant hardlock. I know the vanilla game had a few places you could also do this but no hardlock there that I remember.

Due to save point locations I lost a good 15 minutes of progress twice.

I have had the same happen to me. I'm not too knowledgeable about glitches with grapple; is it actually caused by extending and colliding with the platform? The hardlock has also put me before the boss in zone 1...

hmsong

Does anyone have a 100% map for this?  I'm having a hard time finding all of the items, and I can't even backtrack.  One of the previous posts linked to a picture that no longer works.

ptoil

Looks like danidub's site is down again :(

danidub's map:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ambureon

Quote from: hmsong on May 02, 2024, 08:20:08 PM
Does anyone have a 100% map for this?  I'm having a hard time finding all of the items, and I can't even backtrack.  One of the previous posts linked to a picture that no longer works.

yeah danidub's site went offline last year. i've been maintaining a backup of all his maps on my own site. here's ascent and here's all his other maps

hmsong

Thanks!  That helps.  I can now replay this and get 100% (since I can't backtrack).

Zhs2

nodever2

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 03, 2024, 09:39:52 AM
His site has moved to a different address actually: https://ceoqdmuthi5t7s9din5bzq.on.drv.tw/MapStation/index.htm
Interesting. What the heck is up with that URL? Not the most confidence-inspiring one I have seen.

Ambureon

Quote from: nodever2 on May 03, 2024, 09:54:36 AM
What the heck is up with that URL?

it's a site hosted on microsoft onedrive. it's fairly unreliable and goes down often. it is linked in danidub's forum signature though so it is legit.

kuzinrob

Quote from: hmsong on May 02, 2024, 08:20:08 PM

Another option:
https://maptroid.unrest.io/maps/ascent/