News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM: Decision

Started by JoshShoeWah, February 02, 2018, 07:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnyDonovan

I found my way.   I had simply missed a door in the ceiling of a room in Norfair so I hadn't found the path to Crocomire.   I'm going to go fight Ridley now. 

JoshShoeWah

Oh okay the room scroll in the room isn't favorable for that door.

andlabs

Is it not possible to get the missile in the Wrecked Ship that disappears after you beat Phantoon?

JoshShoeWah

you have to kago the robot before the power is turns on

Kapodaco

Random lurker forced into making an account to ask stupid questions.

I'd like to play this game, along with other games on the site, but I'm having trouble (with this game specifically) in setting it up on my laptop. Whenever I try to extract or open the Decisions file, my computer says it is invalid. What do?

Quietus

Obvious questions first:

Are you tring to open the file directly from clicking on it? If so, try right-clicking, and save it somewhere, then open it from there instead. This shouldn't really make any difference, but you never know.

Do you have any form of program that can deal with the .zip file? Windows usually has this feature built in, but can sometimes throw a wobbly. Try installing something like 7-Zip. It's free.

Once you've got the .ips file (and README) extracted, have you got a program to apply the .ips file? If not, you'll need something like Lunar IPS.

If you have, have you got a clean copy of the ROM to apply it to? It should be called "Super Metroid (JU)[!].smc".

If you're still stuck, let us know. :^_^:

Kapodaco

Thanks for all the suggestions. When I try to extract the folder, it claims it is "empty." I think that might be the root issue.

Tried saving in another place. Didn't work. Tried 7-Zip. Didn't work. Is the folder supposed to be "empty"? I do have Lunar and a Super Metroid emulator, so those should be fine.

Quietus

No, it's not an empty folder. It's a .zip file with one folder in, and the folder contains the .ips file and the ReadMe.txt file. At least it should anyway. :neutral:

Before extracting the folder from the .zip file, if you look at the .zip file's properties, does it say it's 98.4KB?

Kapodaco

Miranda Gemini

The version uploaded to the Main Site is corrupted. I'll have someone fix that, in the meantime, a usable version of this hack can be grabbed from the first post on this topic.

Kapodaco

So I got the extraction done and I'm fumbling with this .ips approach to no avail. I've tried both the soft patch and hard patch approach, but no matter what I do, it always loads the original SM. I've tried to go the same route as when I downloaded Metroid: Rogue Dawn about a year back, but that had VERY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS that even a computer-ignorant fool such as I could understand. Do I need to delete any save data attached to the original ROM in order to get it to work?

Quietus

You shouldn't really have to, no, but for the sake of eliminating problems systematically, try:

Download a clean ROM from scratch (again, it's "Super Metroid (JU)[!].smc", and if you load it in your normal emulator, you should (normally) get text at the bottom of the emulator that says CRC32: D63ED5F8. You'll then know it's the correct ROM.

Put it in a new folder somewhere, then patch it, then remove the .ips file (if you put it in the same folder, that is). Then grab a fresh copy of your emulator of choice. Put it in the same folder as the ROM, and try loading the fresh emulator, then the ROM. Don't worry about your settings and stuff, as you're just trying to prove that the ROM has patched properly.

Kapodaco

OKAY, SO...

I would like to apologize for wasting everyone's time. It turns out I had it properly executed since I downloaded it via this thread instead of the site. The only thing was I expected the title screen/menu to be at least A LITTLE different, which it wasn't, so I was under the impression it wasn't the hack. It wasn't until I ACTUALLY STARTED THE GAME that it indicated the hack was successful. ("Hello, welcome to my hack.")

Thanks so much for the help, Quietus, Miranda. I ended up not really needing it and performing circles around myself, but I really appreciate the two of you putting up with my hastiness.

Quietus

Ha, no problem. Enjoy the hack. :grin:

johnnyutah22

Are there any suits? If so any hints?

DonnyDonovan

@johnnyutah22 -- Can't recall about the suits (I'm pretty sure I got them), but best username ever.

fraZ0R

I'm stuck in tourian, because I don't have ice beam, and have no way of defeating metroids

Moehr

Try bombs/powerbombs, those might work

fraZ0R