News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: The Last of the Metroids: Fangame Idea

Started by TheOMEGAMETROID, July 08, 2012, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOMEGAMETROID

I have an idea for a Metroid fangame. It is called Metroid: The Last of the Metroids.

In the storyline it begins with the final events of Metroid Fusion. As Samus escapes she learns that Space Pirates had built a replica of Planet Zebes with the remains of the explosion. They had collected DNA of Mother Brain, and discovered Metroids flying through space. Samus was sent to eradicate the last of the Metroids and destroy Mother Brain's clone.

These are the upgrades in the game.

Beam:
Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Wide Beam
Plasma Beam
Wave Beam
Hyper Beam

Bomb:
Morph-Ball Bomb
Power Bomb

Missile:
Normal Missile
Super Missile
Diffusion Missile

Suit:
Power Suit
Varia Suit
Gravity Suit

Misc.:
Morph Ball
Hi-Jump
Speed Booster
Spider Ball
Spring Ball
Space Jump
Screw Attack

Bosses (In Order of Appearance):
Torizo (Brinstar)
Spore Spawn (Brinstar)
Kraid (Kraid's Lair)
Crocomire (Kraid's Lair)
Phantoon (Crateria)
Gold Torizo (Maridia)
Draygon (Norfair)
Nightmare (Norfair)
Ridley (Ridley's Lair)
Ruins Test (Chozodia)
Mother Brain (Tourian)
Mother Brain 2.0 (Tourian)

I'm planning on turning this into a real thing and I need people to help me on this.

Zhs2

Do you have any content to show so we can believe you're really working on a fangame? I doubt people will want to jump on and help you without showing you've done some work yourself. Also, the content-or-lock rule still stands here.

Metaquarius

QuoteI have an idea
I have a dream
Fixed.

I'm planning on turning this into a real thing
I'm planning to show up some stuff before asking for help
Fixed again.

Looks like it can be turned into a SM hack, just saying.

personitis

I'm going to be honest. Brutally honest. Next to no one around here will just jump in and help you. They are either going to, as Zhs2 said, want content before they consider or out right not join you. You're new around here, as your join date and post count state, and if you had been lurking these forums for a while, you should know 'content or lock' and 'no begging' are big themes around here. On the flip side of things, the story sounds like Nintendo beating a dead horse. As far as I know and am concerned, hacks and/or fan games that have played directly off of the main series don't work well at all. Everything that is on your list for items is already in the Super Metroid engine and if it's not, there is either patches/ASM that could implement it for you or a small bit of ASM could be done to implement it (though going around bugging people for such code without any deep progress or thought doesn't work around here 99.9% of the time). Let's take a look:
[spoiler=Here's what exists and what doesn't]
Beam:
Charge Beam (exists)
Ice Beam (exists)
Wide Beam (exists. Spazer is the exact same thing.)
Plasma Beam (exists)
Wave Beam (exists)
Hyper Beam (exists)

Bomb:
Morph-Ball Bomb (exists)
Power Bomb (exists)

Missile:
Normal Missile (exists)
Super Missile (exists)
Diffusion Missile (The one thing that does not exist. It can be done via ASM)

Suit:
Power Suit (exists)
Varia Suit (exists)
Gravity Suit (exists)

Misc.:
Morph Ball (exists)
Hi-Jump (exists)
Speed Booster (exists)
Spider Ball (It exists. But I can't say the code for it is in front of you. For those who think you know, it's not Jathys' code.)
Spring Ball (exists)
Space Jump (exists)
Screw Attack (exists)
[/spoiler]
I also realize the topic states this is an "idea," but by saying you want to "turn this into a real thing" you are in fact stating, as it seems, that this is not an idea and more of a (maybe not intentional) request for help and assistance which others do the work because you lack the knowledge on how to. How can I assume all my thoughts and opinions? Well first, I have been known to be an ass (though I've never shown it around these forums) and by the "content" (AKA items which are pretty generic and poor, beaten-to-death Zebes in story) you've shown, you're coming off a lot like others have when they've wanted to start something Metroid related around here.

Consider this.
There was also a point in time where I wanted to make my own games as well. I took a look into things and came across this guy's channel on YouTube called GyroVorbis. It was here, where I watched two videos that gave me a different perspective on things. I suggest you watch both of them, linked in the spoiler below.
[spoiler]Video 1
here
Video 2
here[/spoiler]

He brings up a good point in both videos (though very briefly) that you need to consider if you're willing to learn programming to make a game or if you should just go and pick up a program like GameMaker. I didn't feel like learning programming to make a single game based off a series I enjoyed. So instead, I ended up stumbling upon this place which is essentially, GameMaker for the Metroid universe. My question to you is, this being in the Misc. Fangames forum, do you really want to spend time making a completely new engine that replicates the Metroid games, or are you more suited to pick up SMILE or DoubleHelix and use that as a foundation? The reason I mention this is due to how blunt your post seems and how your first post is basically entitled "help."

If I offended you, your fault. I believe if you can't take any kind of criticism then you need to get out of the kitchen and until I can see a higher level of knowledge/planning/know-how/etc., you probably won't hear much from me.

TheOMEGAMETROID

It's alright I just had this idea like a week ago I just need tips on how to make this stuff.

TheOMEGAMETROID

btw The Diffusion Missile was in Metroid Fusion.

Zero One

Quote from: TheOMEGAMETROID on July 09, 2012, 08:23:41 AM
It's alright I just had this idea like a week ago I just need tips on how to make this stuff.

Unless you're willing to learn any programming language, you're not likely to make anything decent, so that's your first tip. Pick a programming language, buy books, read them and learn. Don't expect to be able to just pick up a book, read it and immediately start programming a game; that doesn't happen. Personally, I picked XNA, which I enjoy very much, but you may pick something like the Game Maker language and build the game in Game Maker. Also, hacking Super Metroid is not a bad idea. A lot of the things you have listed is already in Super Metroid. Diffusion Missiles aren't, but they can be added. Granted, you'll most likely lose Nightmare, Ruins Test and Mother Brain 2.0, but on the other hand, you've got a great engine already there for you.

Tip 2: Write EVERYTHING and plan EVERYTHING. The one thing that'll kill anything you do is not knowing where you're going with it. This applies to the programming, the graphics, the story, the maps; everything. You don't need to be so strict that you can't add more stuff when you think about it but a plan that's too loose probably isn't going to help you much.

Tip 3: Don't half-arse it, then give up. If you aren't willing to put everything you've got into it, then it probably won't turn out very well. You have to commit to the project, even when looking at it makes you die a little inside.

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: TheOMEGAMETROID on July 09, 2012, 08:31:06 AM
btw The Diffusion Missile was in Metroid Fusion.

i lol'd

No seriously, he was talking about Super Metroid when he mentioned that list of things. Diffusion Missile has yet to be coded into Super Metroid by anyone in our community to the best of my knowledge.  It seems to me you just kinda skimmed what he said or you'd have caught that.

Creating your own game from scratch gives you a lot more freedom because its your own code and you know what you need it to do, but you gotta write all the code yourself. Using other peoples engines will give you higher limitations, but you'll already have something to start with.
There are pros and cons for both options, and in the end that decision is up to you. Realize that making a game takes A LOT of time and energy to pull off and isn't something you should just start on a whim, unless you have no plans on finishing it and are just doing it for fun/learning experience.

I should know, I've started projects only to loose interest in them.  I'm a horrible person, I know.

Qactis

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on July 09, 2012, 08:46:51 AM
Diffusion Missile has yet to be coded into Super Metroid by anyone in our community to the best of my knowledge.
[spoiler]
Diffusion Missile! :D[/spoiler]
Do hwhat now?

Quote58

sadi and black falcon have both achieved the affect by combing the super missile with an SBA.

TheOMEGAMETROID

I'm will probably rename the game to Metroid: Extinction. What do you think about this name?

Smiley

Zhs2

Also, lock now. PM me when you have content to be posted in this.