News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Breach

Started by Leodox, December 25, 2017, 10:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnyDonovan

I am in the lower norfair entrance room.   I go to the left and come to a green gate facing the wrong way.   Setting off a power bomb opens a gap in the ceiling.   Going up into that gap there is a room with a green super missile trigger.   I shoot it with a super missile from every possible angle (I have like 30) and the gate does not open.   I've tried leaving and reloading the room but I guess I'll try again. 

Quietus

The only other option would be to perform the Green Gate glitch just to bypass it.
[spoiler]There isn't much behind it anyway, and you'll soon be heading back the other way.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

I was wondering if there was maybe a relatively easy (for a noob) way to go into Smile and just remove the gate or turn it into a blue gate or something?   GGG is another option.   Can't recall if I've ever done it or not or even tried.

Edit:  Just checked it out and GGG is not an option because of the overhang there's no place to run or jump.   Only way I can finish the game is to edit the ROM.   

Quietus

Any chance you can upload your save state, and I can take a look for you, and save just after activating the switch? I may also need your ZSNES version. :^_^:

DonnyDonovan

That would be awesome.   I'll see what I can do.   I'm pretty sure version is ZSNES 1.52.  I have a save state right by the switch that won't activate. 

It may be a little later as sadly I have to go shovel snow in 20 below windchills. 

Edit:  I clicked on "about" in the emulator and it says it is version 1.51.

Quietus

Cool, no worries. I was using the same version, so whever you're ready. :^_^:

DonnyDonovan

Hope I'm doing this right.

Quietus

Here you go, buddy. :^_^:

DonnyDonovan

Thanks Quietus!   That worked.   You're always one of the most helpful and sensible regulars around here.   I'm just an old guy who grew up playing Super Metroid, enjoy playing hacks of Super Metroid, and am just barely smart enough to figure out how to find and patch ROMs and make it all work. 

No idea why that super missile trigger wouldn't activate for me.  Anyway, after using that state I beat Ridley and now just have Tourian left to do. 

andlabs

While I continue working through this hack, I still am frustrated by the constant map-being-reset glitches; what causes all these? Is it the same cause for all hacks that have this glitch? If so, is it something that can be fixed for all hacks with a single button press in some fork of SMILE?

Also is that one item in the room in Norfair with the helicopters and the Power Bomb blocks that disappears because of an indexing error, or does the game literally give you a choice between a Missle Pack and whatever that item is?

Quietus

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on February 05, 2018, 12:08:16 AM
Thanks Quietus!   That worked.   You're always one of the most helpful and sensible regulars around here.   I'm just an old guy who grew up playing Super Metroid, enjoy playing hacks of Super Metroid, and am just barely smart enough to figure out how to find and patch ROMs and make it all work.
Aww, you're gonna make me blush. :blush:

No problem - you're welcome. :^_^:

Quote from: andlabs on February 05, 2018, 12:35:31 PMAlso is that one item in the room in Norfair with the helicopters and the Power Bomb blocks that disappears because of an indexing error, or does the game literally give you a choice between a Missle Pack and whatever that item is?
I just assumed it was an indexing error. :neutral:

DonnyDonovan

Beat it with 74%.  Not sure if one can save the animals.   I didn't.   The escape gravity is weird but added a challenge. 

As noted, this has a lot of problems and some bugs (the map chief among them), but, with a coat of polish this could be a pretty darn good hack.  I had fun and really wanted to finish.   There's some cool palettes, some good level design and the bones of a pretty tight hack here that falls somewhere between a 3/4 hack and a full hack.   Thumbs up overall and, again, I'm surprised it isn't generating a tad more discussion. 

piush

I have played this. I like the design work your did for the world. I like the hidden passages. But I had to use save states after entering every room. Because I would encounter out of bound errors or crashes due to pointers . the door caps would be everywhere. Also items going missing like when I went back to get a power bomb expansion. I would love for this to get finished properly. When done it will rank up there will some of the best hacks.

Leodox

Hello all,

I appreciate all the honest feedback I have received for this hack. Not sure if I had stated this yet or not but I was running out of time finishing this hack. I had plans to go back and rework each and every room as I felt appropriate, but I just didnt have the time. I was just about to start a new job and knew I would not have enough time to do what I wanted with the hack. So against my better judgement instead of doing what was right, I went ahead and released it. I do apologize for this as it probably caused some people to get frustrated and what not. Looking back I shouldnt have released it I feel. But I am glad some people got enjoyment out of it with or without the bugs. Lesson learned.

Thanks all for playing, I am working on other projects now so stay tuned. :yay: