News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Aww why not

Started by DSO, September 10, 2010, 07:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSO

In the midst of spurts of activity and inactivity, I have decided to say I don't care about keeping this such a secret anymore. Heck, a little hype never hurt anyone motivation-wise... so I'm going to periodically update this thread as I work on this hack. But of course, I'm not going to reveal everything, just a little bit at a time. So what is this hack? Some of you may know, but no spoilers from you or else you will feel my personal wrath in the form of unspeakable horrors designed specifically to torment your soul and NOT STOP WHEN THE TORMENTING GETS OLD.

I know you want pictures, to which I say HA HA HA YOU ALREADY SEEN THEM, REMEMBEH MEH?!

aka stuff like this:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Of course the reason I'ma showing you stuff you've already seen is because I don't want to spoil the newer stuff just yet. I have to have room for future updates! Anyway, let's hype up this baby, baby!

Random question #1: "What kind of a hack is it?"
Answer: A super metroid hack.

Off topic non question: "No seriously"
Answer: it is...

A MEGA GIANT FULLHACK YEAH!!!
[spoiler]FAMILY FRIENDLY AKA NOT A HARD HACK AND DOES NOT REQUIRE TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY![/spoiler]
[spoiler]NEW ITEMS AND ABILITIES THAT ARE COOL.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]SOME NEW ENEMIES AND BOSSES, AND AI UPDATES TO OLD ONES! [/spoiler]
[spoiler]EXPLORATION OF THE DARK DEPTHS OF A MASSIVE WORLD, OR TWO.[/spoiler]

So, remember when I said MEGA GIANT!!!? Well, I WAS LYING HAHAHA SUCKERS, MEGA GIANT IS LIKE REDESIGN, AND COMPARED TO REDESIGN, THIS HACK JUST DOESN'T MATCH UP.

[spoiler=they do don't match up]
Okay, here we have 3 things to compare, none of which compare, right? So here's some text bars that indicate size of the 3 things. These things are:
1. The size of the original Super Metroid.
2. Size of Redesign.
3. Size of urmom. Er, actually I meant my hack, but they're probably interchangable.
By the way, this is actually a pretty close estimate. The ratios versus # of screens is almost bang-on.

1:>>>>>>>>>>>>
2:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
3:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
[/spoiler]

So, compared to Redesign, my hack is NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Also, if you CHEAT AND READ SPOILERS, you'd notice that this hack doesn't "require technical proficiency". But what does a lot of long words like that mean to the simpleton kind that is us? Boiled down, it means you can BE AN IDIOT and still beat the game without getting stuck on some timing based trick... or does it? Here are some skills you will probably need to work on to complete this hack.

1. CAN YOU MORPH? IF NOT, THEN I SUGGEST YOU BREAK OUT YOUR EMULATOR, GET YOUR SAVESTATES AND SLOWDOWN READY, AND START PRACTICING!
2. An advanced one that hinges on #1. CAN YOU LAY A BOMB?!
3. A vital one: IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE FIGURING OUT HOW TO FIRE YOU BEAM YOU MIGHT HAVE SOME TROUBLE WITH THIS HACK, SORRY FOR THE PROBLEMS THIS MAY IMPOSE!

And did I also mention new items and abilities? NOT UNTIL NOW UNLESS YOU ARE A CHEATER!!1! But my typewriter is running out of ink so I'll simply have to wait for the next update when I show you... with sparkly vids!

Update over, see you next mission! Sometime next month probably. Discussion is welcomed though, I encourage it because it encourages me to hack more.

p.s. caps lock WAS HARMED in the making of this message so BE HAPPY! ^.^

Phazar

WHOA...I am at loss for words at this hack and how great it could be once finished.  Keep up the work!

Zhs2

Quote from: DSOIF YOU HAVE TROUBLE FIGURING OUT HOW TO FIRE YOU BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEA-UUUUHMUH
/

THE Purple Helmet

Holy fucking F-bombs!!!  :holyf: Interesting suit pallette choices, design choices we all want, everything is very aesthetically pleasing and that first picture is especially epic! Im not just excited, my nipples are hard enough to cut glass!!

RT-55J

So you're saying I don't even have to jump to play this hack?

Finally something that matches my skill level.

Smiley

Another hack coming up... oh yeah, I guess...
Didn't get as excited as others did, dunno why.

[spoiler]DSO's post is really weird and I hope posts looking like that are never seen again[/spoiler]

Scyzer

Open your mind mannn!! You're livin in your own little world of close-mindedness! You gotta live with the crazy posttt!! :D

Lunaria

Am I the only one who did not get hyped one bit by his post? :/

Quietus

I think the idea is just an introduction for the subsequent replies, which'll hopefully have more content.  As for the post itself, I'm most interested in the scale factor.  Unless I'm mistaken, you're saying that it's three times bigger than the original, and one and a half times bigger than Redesign.  That IS huge.  Keep us posted DSO.

DSO

Roughly, yes to Quietus. Except Redesign is roughly 2.5 times the size of the original and this is 4 times larger, at least in the current outline. I'm trying to make every area have a point, thus why I need new abilities and upgrades. I'm not interested in making people spend hours looking for suit upgrades because they're spread so far and wide, and I really hate it when areas feel like giant bubbles of empty space. I'm not interested in playing shoot the wall to try and find the hidden item you need to progress for over 20 hours before you finally finish the tedious item crawl, and I bet neither is anyone else. The goal is to feel like the original, except where the original is maybe a fun filled two hour adventure for us, this would be an eight hour fun filled adventure.

Tyjet66

Oh god, I think I just came! Please do not let this be a prank! *checks today's date*

personitis

L M A O @ first post. You're making this sound all too good. I'm hyped. Like, while reading the first post, I started saying it out loud in an announcer's voice. xD GL, HF, and looking forward to it.

Eppy37

While this does sound amazing, something in my rain is telling me that this will never get finished.

MetroidMst

Maybe not in the month he specified, but it will get done. I've been pestering him every day since he posted that to finish it on time. He seems to like this "type" of hack better than others because he does have two on the backburner right now. But he definitely seems into really finishing this one before he starts another one up. (Although he should go back and finish Event Horizon first.)

Riffman81

Being around the ROM hacking scene as long as I have... I've learned that usually when hackers are working on more then one project, two things happen: The hacks get completed, but usually are not as great as originally intended. Or, they just fade away and don't get released at all. I guess it just depends on the hack.. or hacker involved. It's never good practice to be involved on more then one project at a time, but that's just my opinion. Either way, I'm drooling over the pics in the first post, great eye candy. Love the BG in the fist pic.

I hope this get's finished, from the looks of it, it could be great!

Orel

I'm definitely a fan of these hacks that aren't balls to the wall hard, i really hate the ones where using savestates every 5 seconds is required.

So, does this awesome flavored hack have a name yet?

personitis

I think I forgot to post this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

But yea, I've suffered from MPS (multiple project syndrome). Though I can say it wasn't that bad for I had reason to quit.
Rebuild was going to be a complete knock off of Redesign...

THE Purple Helmet

Hey Person701, did that pic you posted above come from a calvin and hobbes book by chance?

I am not an expert hacker by any means and so my level of hype may be affected by the awe of how aesthetically awesome design choices appear to be in hacks like this, project base, ice metal and many others.

I know there is alot more than that going on behind the scenes that people are quite critical of but none the less I find that as long as I enjoy looking at it, I enjoy playing it. Cant wait for this awesome looking hack

JAM

DSO
Sounds good. I'm just curious, what have you repointed out of bank $8F to make space for new rooms? PLMs? PLMs, scrolls and door arrays? Or even more?

Silver Skree

That was a beautiful OP. We need more posts like that.

DSO

Quote from: JAM on September 15, 2010, 11:38:08 PM
DSO
Sounds good. I'm just curious, what have you repointed out of bank $8F to make space for new rooms? PLMs? PLMs, scrolls and door arrays? Or even more?

Uh, I've got a compression routine for scroll data that I haven't applied yet because SMILE won't recognize it, but other than that, nothing.

Except for the rooms themselves, of course. They can go anywhere they like.

DSO

DOUBLE POST AND IT'S ABOUT TIME, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

So, update on life situation first. College has been eating up my free time, plus I'm working third shift now which makes things a little weird when it comes to my sleep schedule. As a result, I have not been consistently hacking... anything. Just because it's inconsistent doesn't mean it's nonexistent. Do not fret, for I normally have these kind of slumps in the winter only to come back big once the spring comes and my winter blahs are over.

Also, rejoice because I have stuff to show you in this "Small" update. As I update, I will include snippets of story as it happens "in the present", what Samus and the Galactic Federation are up to at this very moment in time while the hack and thus the mission are still in creation.

[spoiler="Story part 1"]
THE STORYLINE HAS BEGUN!

The better part of two years ago, Samus took on perhaps the strangest mission she had ever faced. The Galactic Federation had hired her to investigate the angry red planet of Nolvus after a long range exploration probe broadcast strange readings from the planet and was quickly shot down by a space pirate patrol. Landing on the planet to search for the strange energy readings, she found a world where nothing was as it seemed, and the very laws of physics were bent. Even after adjusting, Samus was still disturbed by the strangeness of the planet. There were chozo ruins there, older than any she had ever seen, their texts completely untranslatable. Finding chozo artifacts in abundance, she presumed it had once been a chozo colony long ago that was used as a military base in some ancient war. At the end of her search she found and fought the source of the mysterious readings, a chozo of great psychic power able to regenerate itself during battle. After his defeat, he caused the planet to go into a massive self-destruct. Samus escaped alive, relieved to leave that strange planet as it exploded into a thousand smaller pieces. The mission logs were classified, all logs and recordings sent to the Galactic Federation via secure channels, and Samus wanted nothing more than to forget the entire mission, but fate... is not so kind. Fast forward to the present, and Samus has received an order from the Galactic Federation to go to the capital to be debriefed about what happened on Nolvus. "Why now?" She wondered...

Back in the heart of the Federation, images of the incredibly complex chozo writings Samus recorded from her visit have begun to be translated. Much remains to translate, but the writings speak of a great and terrible danger that would befall the universe should the guardian of the planet fall. The Federation believes that the Angry Fire Chozo Samus battled was this guardian, as the destruction of the planet is said to be the event that triggers the danger to awaken. Not much is known about this danger, but what little the Galactic Federation has been able to decipher has caused them to classify the project to the highest protocols, moving the translators into "secure buildings" to continue their work in a prison-like atmosphere where they are cut off from any contact with the outside world. At the same time, long range probes have been dispatched to Nolvus to investigate the wreckage.[/spoiler]

This hack is indeed a sequel to AngryFireChozo, and takes place on the same planet, Nolvus. Things are similar, yet very different. You may see areas you think you recognize, only to be drawn into traps by going the way you think you should go. Yes, Nolvus still bends the rules of physics, but I'm pleased to say you will find gameplay much faster in this game, a necessity considering how long this hack is.

Anyway, do you remember when I said "small" update? Let me show you an example:

"OMG A TUNNEL THAT'S TOO SMALL FOR SAMUS TO FIT THROUGH THIS HACK IS HORRIBLY DESIGNED" - some idiot

Yes, playing through Super Mario Bros 3. inspired me to add the concept of little and big worlds. The whole map will not be made in this fashion, but often you will see tunnels that you are simply too large to go through, and when you see them, you know there will be a portal nearby that will shrink you down to size so you can progress through them. But beware! Regular enemies that don't pose much of a threat will turn into giant death machines lusting for your demise!

Last time I mentioned new enemies and items and stuff. Sorry I've decided against showing some of the new items at this point, but I do have this vid of an upgrade to the atomic which you might've missed.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5S9aucA4Jw[/spoiler]

I think that's enough for this update.

If anyone wants me to cover a certain topic on the next update, whether it's music hacking or new items or maybe just a new area, let me know and I'll pick something to throw in there.

Scyzer

Please say there will be some sort of upgrade or "portal" that fixes the planets crazy physics?
8 hour game + crazy physics = one sad fish =(

Zknight7126

Hope this works, I wonder if you could have 6,000 + rooms because of the rooms being stored in a 16-bit word, but I don't think this would come close to 1,000 rooms. Anyway hope you can finish this.

Scyzer

No, it is most definitely impossible to have anywhere near that many rooms. There is litterally not enough space in the bank for that. And room data is a lot larger than 2 bytes...
It's $27 bytes for a single state room, and another $1E - $1F bytes for each extra state, depending on the type of state. Then of course there's the door data for each room, scroll data, PLMs and enemies, level data. It takes up a considerable amount of space you know.