News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Nestroid Redux

Started by snarfblam, September 04, 2010, 01:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

[Update] Brinstar and Norfair are mostly done. See newest post.

Well, I'm back from vacation (early... thanks to Earl), so now I have a chance to make a topic for my new hack. "Nestroid Redux" is a working title. The idea is a reworking of Nestroid, primarily it terms of background graphics (you could think of it as a complement to MDbTroid; maybe someday they can get together and have a baby). Without further ado, screenies.

[spoiler=Brinstar][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Norfair before and after]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=More Norfair]

[/spoiler]

Things to be said:

• This is meant to be an ongoing somewhat back-burner project.
  • This is not the same project I've been posting screenshots from in ROTW (last week excepted).
  • This is intended to (A)demonstrate the sort of thing that can be accomplished with an expanded ROM, (B)Offer an alternative to the original game as a starting point for a hack, and (C)provide a renewed game-play experience for fans of the original.
  • Other than background graphics, I haven't finalized a to-do or goal list. In order of likelihood, things I might do are: various asm hacks, updated text, sprite graphics to some degree, changes to title screen/ending, secret areas, things to be determined, and new music.
  • Contributions by others would be welcome. You can inquire within if interested. Feedback is also welcome.

A patch will be available and will be updated periodically (along with a change-log). I'll also sorta-blog here about any non-trivial hacking in this project.

Apply to Metroid (U).nes
Version 0.01 - Bristar done
Version 0.02 - Brinstar and Norfair done

Infinitys_End

I don't come here often, but I just noticed this thread, and I gotta say, you've done an excellent jorb there, snarfblammy.
You're more than welcome to use my enemy and/or Samus sprites to your hack, I guess it all depends on how far you want to go.  I made some byte changes to a few enemies (like the sidehopper legs used for Skree explosions in Kraid and the Holtz's animation patterns) but I doubt it's nothing you couldn't handle.

I'd be happy to collaborate with you on something like this; I just don't really have the time/effort right now in my schedule to do any major hacking.

I'd especially be interested in seeing how far someone could take 8bit chiptune remixes of the original Metroid songs.  Maybe we could update and even improve Neil Corlett's Lua script too...

snarfblam

Progress! I've further expanded the Metroid ROM to cram in more level data, and I've been working on this hack to test and debug the expanded ROM. After several tries I seem to have my random-crashing bug sorted out.

Norfair is pretty much done. There's still a lot to do, so not everything looks perfect. I've added a lot more detail, new palettes, and tried to reduce repetitiveness, which really helps maintain a sense of where you are when you're playing. Many screens are "re-skinned" while others are redone from scratch.

Version 0.02 - Apply to Metroid (U).nes.

This hack currently only contains my work, which others a free to use, but... uh... the current version of Editroid will asplode if you try to open this ROM. It will work with Editroid 3.0 when that comes out.

[spoiler=Some before and after]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Some other shots]

[/spoiler]

Some things that need to be done:

• Steal Infinitys_End's sprites
  • Wavy-ice patch
  • Easier bomb-jumping patch
  • Fix up Brinstar
  • Add new secrets!

Rodney 1.666

I'm glad I didn't see this two years ago or I would have been itching for an update for the last two years.  :^_^:
Really like what I see so far.

Grimlock

That lava graphic and the tube (next to the "bubble") look pretty awesome.  Those are two types of graphics that I have struggled on with my mod.

I really like the original Metroid look and feel of your mod.  Let me know if you need a play tester when your all finished up and getting ready to release.

Yuki

Nevermind, figured it out.

Infinitys_End

Haven't been here for a while, but Snarfblam: excellent work so far on the hack man!  As I've said before you're more than welcome to use my Samus or enemy sprites in this! :D  The doors are fucking beautiful!!  And the animated lava!!! :whoa: