News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Prime Hacking Utilities

Started by Antidote, August 21, 2010, 05:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antidote

Here are several utilities that have been written for extracting, converting, or decompressing Metroid Prime files (supports all versions)
MPakDump
MDecompress
MTexDump
STRGExtract

personitis

So my question is assuming one could get an GC emulator running decently (20-30fps at least) on their comp, will we be seeing any hacks in the near future? 'Cause Prime is definitely what got me into Metroid.

Waker

Yes. You will see some prime hacks in the future. Either by me, interdpth, Antidote, or any other person who has an interest in Prime.

Alas, we can't edit Prime as we can SM right now. But soon we will be able to. Just you wait.

Antidote

Aerosol

What exactly do these do? What kind of things are in Metroid Prime .pak files? To what extent can things be hacked right now?

Waker

Prime can be hacked as far as you can understand.

I've done cosmetic work and even replaced entities in a level.

Mesh shit isn't hard to do as well, but takes time.

Antidote

Apparently i was being disrespectful (I don't know what I did) so the links are dead until I figure out what happened and get them back up.

THE DUDExD

So how would one rip the entire Meta Ridley skin, the animations and attacks from Metroid Prime and still be able to have it function? (like for the animations using x86 Assembler to talk dierectly to the CPU)

U-Mos

When I click on the link, it takes me to the Error 404 page  :<_<:

Quote58

Quote from: Antidote on February 08, 2011, 09:10:12 PM
Apparently i was being disrespectful (I don't know what I did) so the links are dead until I figure out what happened and get them back up.

Zhs2

U-Mos

AWESOME!!! THANK!!! One thing though, is there any sort of tutorial out there? Or am I going to have to start from the beginning like the noob I am?  :pwuh:

personitis

Quote from: Zhs2 on March 11, 2012, 12:06:19 AM
They still exist. Had to fix the links on the pages, but...
I hate necro bumps as much as the next mod/admin, but that link there Zeke and the MTexDump on that page will greatly help the SMP project. Thank you. <3

Antidote

Added STRGExtract

usage: STRGExtract  <strgfile.strg>

it will automatically output a <filname>.xml file

I should warn you that this only works with Prime 1&2 and does NOT support MP3

embyr_75

Hi guys! I'm a complete and utter noob who started trying to get into the Prime 2: Echoes files so I could create a text dump (I hail from metroidwiki.org, and we could really use a textual resource like that! I've yet to find a single text dump of any of the Prime games, though). Anyway, after struggling for a while, I came across the mpakdump utility and was quite hopeful that it might help me find the scan data (not Logbook data; there's plenty of sources for that).

When I try to open a .pak file using mpakdump, however, I get a "Missing Required Option" message. Any pointers? (Or existing text dumps out there?  :grin:)

Thanks!

embyr_75

Quote from: Antidote on January 20, 2013, 12:56:45 PM
Added STRGExtract

I tried downloading this file today, but the link provided appears to be broken. Help.

Antidote

Meeptroid

So, where has Metroid Prime hacking even went within the last few years? I'm honestly amazed people have went for this! (But then again, I'm not the biggest Prime fan there is, but I do still enjoy it)

Quietus

You'd be better off reading the thread on M2K2, which has most of the recent developments.

Meeptroid

Thanks Quietus! Its just a little something I'm interested in

Quietus

And then you'll get the urge to upgrade your hack again: NES > SNES > GC

:grin:

Meeptroid

Nah, can't do that, computer too slow, plus, Super better than Prime in my opinion, so, no upgrading it any more, the whole idea of Prime hacking just caught my attention

biospark

I think things will kick off once Parax releases his Prime World Editor. Seems he's put a lot of thought and work into it, and it looks like it has a lot of features.

Quietus

It'll probably give things an initial push, but I think it'll be like most games having hacks, in that it'll take that first hack being released to really galvanise things.