News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[WIP] SM Dark asul

Started by Blarget2, August 17, 2010, 10:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blarget2

this is my 1st hack that i might go to the finish. and my 1st ever posted, anywho...

i present to you...

this is a mini hack (5-15 rooms) and (if you can tell) is based on the color blue... alot.

there is no story..... you kill stuff, the end.

PICZ. image heavy-ish
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

UPDATE 8/18/10 full level pics.

constructive criticism would be appreciated.

stat!k

looks good from what i can see of the screeenshots, however i would suggest adding some plantlife to your GFX or if your going for that barren rocky look then mayby try some crumbled rocks? i dunno, thats just my personal opinion. other then that, i like it

EDIT: also i think a storyline, even a really basic one, would help with imersion into the game.

Blarget2

thank you for your input. ill work on it and update soon.

personitis

I dunno about a story. Most hacks really don't have a story. But they do have a theme. Killing enemies works, but it seems a little too basic. lol. But, your hack, do what you want. Looks good also. Ima sucker for blue colors so you've got my attention. xD

Hiroshi Mishima

Eh, I don't think you need a story for a small minihack. Now, if it were something Eris or Ice Metal, or something, I'd say go ahead and work up a story. Most big hacks already have a storyline in mind or at least a theme/idea of some sort. In this case, a simple concept or theme based the hack is based around works. Killing stuff, while not the best idea, could be a good first step.

Constructive criticism, eh? Hmmm.. well it's hard to make any real assumptions from the limited screenshots. Maybe if we had something more to go on we might be able to. Like say showing us one room in the hack as taken via SMILE's ability to export a room to a bmp which you could turn into a png file and post for us. It'd let us look at how you're doing the room and give you assistance about BTS or simple observations.

I do agree with Statik that outdoor areas could probably use some grass or plants if you haven't already, but that's still kinda vague since we don't know what the rest of said room looks like. I'm not saying to spoil the whole thing for us, but showing us a room, as said earlier, would allow us to offer more substantial critiques.

Blarget2

you asked for it, i give it to you.

Quietus

I am the BTS monster - hear me ROAR! :heheh:

I'd try adding more curves into your terrain.  Unless it's supposed to have been created by someone's hand, straight lines are almost always odd-looking.

Also, if you don't want to get attacked by the BTS monster, you can always press F3 to turn it off for your shots.  That won't help point them out, mind you...

zephyrtronium

I see a morph tunnel with sloped entrances. Unless those are bomb blocks in the way, one could glitch through that tunnel before morph.

Blarget2

you cant get into this room before morph.

Tyjet66

I like it! But as Quietus said, try to avoid straight lines, and also, your missing square BTS behind some slopes towards the bottom door, and on the opposite wall of the door, for those 2 slopes on the wall, you don't need the square BTS behind them.

Quietus

Quote from: Tyjet66 on August 19, 2010, 01:20:48 AMfor those 2 slopes on the wall, you don't need the square BTS behind them.
Tyjet special. :heheh:

Blarget2

ok so i fixed the things you guys pointed out, and i reinforced the tunnel so you cant glitch out or get completely stuck in the wall forever, and made it bomb only. the mess ups (like those 2 random blue tiles, and the fail bts on the top right wall) have already been fixed. is there anything else?

personitis

See, the whole thing with the morph tunnel is that if someone doesn't have morph and they end up jumping into the small opening, they get stuck reguardless of what BTS are around. You can't use BTS to force it not to happen. It's an engine glitch. But you could go off the hopes that people here have common sense (which I know we do) or you could just make it a morph tunnel w/o ramps. But if you like the ramp, keep it. Also there are a few more BTS mistakes.

-Top of room: no BTS behind the slope near the door.
-Mid room: no BTS behind slope to the right.
-Bottom room by door: the slope that leads into the corner with the BTS is ok but if someone tried to jump at the corner they'd be pushed down. Nothing big, just something to take note of.

Quietus

He did already state about not being able to get here before morph, so a lot of it is OK, but yes, some roof slopes are still missing their partner blocks.

Tyjet66

Right below the brick tiles in the middle of the room, see where you have an extra square BTS above the slopes? If memory serves me correctly, if you roll into that in morphball you'd get shoved into the tile above it. To fix this, just turn those tiles into solid blocks.

Blarget2

thanks for the help guys. on to my other room before this room (it needs fixing and suggestions most likely too).

i bet there is ALOT of bts errors and other issues am i right?

Scyzer

Not really. Along the ceiling in the top screens you're missing a few upside down square slopes. There's just 1 other missing BTS in the screen 1 block to the right of where the green blocks start (assuming you enter from the top left and follow the room through, if that makes sense).

Also, where you fall after speedboosting, at the bottom right is a left-pointing triangle slope formation. Put square slopes UNDER this along the floor. If you morph, roll under the pointing bit, then unmorph, the slope will push you under the floor (upside down slopes take priority over upside slopes and even solid blocks). With the other slopes under it, when you morph again to get out, they will push you up again. Otherwise you need a bomb to propel you out of the solid blocks.

Tyjet66

At the bottom of the shaft where you need speedbooster to fall through, see the triangle tile with the square BTS?

Quote from: Tyjet66 on August 19, 2010, 02:11:56 PM
If memory serves me correctly, if you roll into that in morphball you'd get shoved into the tile above/below it depending on how the BTS is facing. To fix this, just turn those tiles into solid blocks.

gunnargumpert

wasn't that dark samus's hackname? well anyway, he's gone

Hiroshi Mishima

Dark Samus' hack was simply called "Super Metroid: Dark". Similar, but different. He also had another hack with a different name.

gunnargumpert

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 27, 2010, 04:26:11 AMHe also had another hack with a different name.

well, we told him, to stop with this - 1st finish hack1, bevore starting hack 2

Hiroshi Mishima

I know that, I was reading the whole thing as it happened.