News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The General Manga/Anime Topic

Started by Parabox, August 17, 2010, 06:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaria

Go watch puella magi madoka! >:3

It's awesome!

THE Purple Helmet

For those of you who don't know about it, check out GoGoAnime.com. Your welcome.

Oh and I suppose I should list a couple good ones to watch:

I'm suprised no one mentioned Cowboy Bebop. I can think of no wrong this show does. Also Jazz music

FLCL is good for a mindfrak. Plus it's the source of my avatar!

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is amazing and the followup reflections is great if you've read the Rurouni Kenshin Mango or by itself

Naruto IN JAPANESE ONLY is pretty frakin awesome. You can clearly see that it was never meant to be a kids show. I'm currently watching it despite the fact that it is a little dragged out...

Edit: Nevermind my comment of no one mentioning Cowboy Bebop - I didnt see Dman's list of other good ones. I have very similar preferences as I like the old school and somewhat obscure ones. Perfect Blue is a total mindfuck though :p

THE Purple Helmet

Bump!

Has anyone checked out gogoanime.com yet? I was stoked to discover it but is it old news or something?

Also does anyone know what the hell DBZ Kai is? My brother was watching it the other day but it looks just like the original to me

Zhs, this double post is your fault you know?

Zhs2

Apparently DBZ Kai is a reimagining of DBZ with a whole lot of the crap cut out so that it's more syndicated instead of having entire episodes full of people screaming and increasing their power level.

Lanowen

I have just about 1.5 TB of anime. A lot of it is shit, Giant robots or kids/girls in high school doing the crap that they do. I haven't had the chance to watch all of them and I probably won't (like the stereotypical stupid anime I just described) but...

here's my list of the best animes I've seen, more or less in order of best-ness. I'll * the ones I think are must watches:

*Dennou Coil
*Evangelion movies
*Gintama
*Baccano!
*Akagi
*Planetes
*Hellsing OVAs
*One Piece
*Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
*Hikaru no Go
*Samurai 7
Prince of Tennis
*Hunter X Hunter
Kaiji / Kaiji 2
*Death Note
*Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Hellsing
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo
GTO
FLCL
Hajime no Ippo / Hajime no Ippo New Callenger
Soul Eater
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The Sacred Blacksmith
Tenjho Tenge

------

Dennou Coil has the coolest story I've ever seen which makes it one of my favourites.

Evangelion is just rape.

Gintama has great humor, and it has some really cool action packed story arcs every once and a while

Baccano! is another anime with an amazing story and it has really good art as well.

Akagi has a pretty bad ass story too, it's about this kid playing Mahjong, and I admit I don't know what they are talking about sometimes but it just that good. Kaiji is also done by the same guy and almost the same about some guy gambling, but isn't as good. Watch Kaiji first so you aren't disappointed that it isn't as good as Akagi if you do.

The Hellsing series is just full of rape, the art is good (even better in the OVAs), story is cool, action packed, blood everywhere, nuff said.

FMA, is FMA. This one actually follows the  manga unlike the first FMA anime. If you liked that one, this one is better.

Anything to do with Takeshi Obata is good. So Hikaru no Go is no exception nor is Death Note. Hikaru no Go is probably the first anime that really got me into Anime and Manga.

Hunter X Hunter has a really awesome story, if the creator ever finishes the manga, hooooly crap. I'd jizz my pants. It's a really long running series and looks old, but if you get through it all you won't be disappointed.

Blah @ the others, look at wikipedia and see what it's about.

====================

These are just alright random watches. OuranHHC and Azumanga Daioh look weird but I thought they were a good laugh. I enjoyed them but some probably wouldn't consider them "best" material.

Fractale
Battle Programmer Shirase
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Air Gear
Azumanga Daioh

====================

Then there is the obligatory Naruto, it's pretty overdone and dragged out, and Bleach even more so. I'm just waiting for both series to just finish so I can read the manga.

DragonBall is always a good watch too, DragonBall Kai is pretty cool, they stripped out a lot of filler (Freeza dies around episode 50, so it's like twice as fast as the original...)

THE Purple Helmet

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 11, 2011, 01:31:43 AM
Apparently DBZ Kai is a reimagining of DBZ with a whole lot of the crap cut out so that it's more syndicated instead of having entire episodes full of people screaming and increasing their power level.

thats actually a pretty sweet idea. would have been great when i was a teenager and it took half a month for goku to power up! lol

Parabox

Hey Purple, your avvy from FLCL?

squishy_ichigo

Been watching several lately, ranging quite a bit.

Currently watching: Gosick, Deadman Wonderland, [C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control

Watched: Cat's Soup, Angel's Egg, Gungrave, Eden of the East

Tried to watch, but couldn't get into them as much as I wanted to: Ergo Proxy, Witch Hunter Robin, D.Gray-man, Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin

Plan to watch a few of DMan's list soonishly.

Crashtour99

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 11, 2011, 01:31:43 AM
That, and to be more culturally sensitive they changed Popo from jet black to "Aladdin's genie" blue, which I find fucking retarded.  Popo has always been darker than the bottom of a coal mine.  But what do you expect when 4-Kidz gets their claws into an anime.  They pretty much butcher anything they touch.  I bet they won't even show the mess of Cell stomping Android 16's head into oblivion (which IS in the original uncut dubbed version).
Nothing will ever compare with TeamFourStar's abridged version though.

As an aside...
Recently watched:  The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Black Butler, Requiem for the Phantom, Kaze no Stigma, Hero Tales, Chrome Shelled Regios.

Next on the list is Eden of the East.  And since Squishy mentioned it, may have to watch Ergo Proxy again some time since it's one of my favorites.

squishy_ichigo

I thoroughly enjoyed the first several episodes of Ergo Proxy, but it slowly made me loose interest in it, as it became something I didn't want to watch. :<

Maybe I'll go finish it soon.

Eden of the East was great btw.

Digital_Mantra

Sorry squish, still gotta get around to baccano.

Recently bought the Eva 1.11 and 2.22.
My thoughts are mixed, as are my theories.
I don't think it's a remake of the series; a retelling of the story.
I think it's a sequel to end of evangelion.
In which shinji pulled a groundhog day during the instrumentality and things are playing out a little differently.
Oddly enough, I checked forums to see if my theory was shared. It is.
Some people have proof in screen stills. Such as the moon being covered in blood, Which happened when shinji slit lillith's throat.

As for DBZ Kai, no interest in it. Removing filler is great, but sometimes they remove important stuff, and they tone down serious stuff.
Yet another fail in rebooting the franchise for the 9000th time.

THE Purple Helmet

Quote from: Parabox on May 13, 2011, 04:30:20 AM
Hey Purple, your avvy from FLCL?

but of course! I'm a big fan of it's craziness and endless amounts of hidden undertones!

seeing everyone's opinion on DBZ kai and considering I own the original series, I think I won't waste my time

Just watched an anime called kaidomaru at a friends house. very good art style throughout and a gripping story although short (only 45 minutes and a single episode). The art style goes from spring>summer>fall>winter as the story goes along and is very well put together. Definitely worth a watch. Anyone else seen it or have an opinion on it?

@squishy: I am watching Gungrave (in japanese with subtitles) right now and just got to the point when
*huge spoiler*[spoiler]harry shoots brandon heat in the face!![/spoiler] Maybe I was caught off guard but was that particularly mind blowing or what? I was speechless!

squishy_ichigo

Really? I saw that shit coming a mile away.

THE Purple Helmet

Finished Gungrave. My brother told me to start with episode 2 instead of 1 and that is pretty good advice for anyone interested as the first episode gives way too much away.

Not saying that in response to squishy's post mind you. I knew something like that was coming but I still couldnt believe when/how/the way it happened and most people will probably agree with squish about the event in question.

On to Neon Genesis next. Will I be missing anything important by just watching the main series? I'm borrowing the platinum version of the original 26(ish) episodes from a friend

Crashtour99

I'd suggest watching the movie "End of Evangelion" as well.  It's how the series was originally supposed to end.  You can easily skip the movie "Death and Rebirth" as it's pretty much a recap of the series.  The series itself has a total shit ending, so you'll want to watch that one movie.

Digital_Mantra

Yes the ending to NGE was a total let down, but it did have some good bits and my favorite tune 'Infantile Dependence, Adult Dependency'.
I would suggest watching the first 24 eps of NGE, then watch EoE, then watch the final 2 for some additional dialogue.

I'm not much a fan of NGE anymore, haven't been since I was 15.
Now 25, I've only got back into it just to see what the fuss is with the new film series.

THE Purple Helmet

So NGE is finished. What craziness! Definitely see why they elaborated on the ending. I think I lost some brain cells processing that one.

I watched Samurai Shamploo as well. Good soundtrack mixed with good visuals. Loved it

A friend of mine who has good taste recommended Baccano! so I think I will check that out next. While that is coming though I am thinking of watching either Trigun or Wolf's Rain. Any suggestions? Y'all have pretty good taste and I'm enjoying expanding my anime horizons!

Crashtour99

Trigun is a great series, and if memory serves Wolf's Rain was pretty good.  If you're into anime that has mythological aspects to it, a good one I watched relatively recently was Hero Tales.

Digital_Mantra

Trigun was a fun series.
Wolf's Rain has some hauntingly beautiful moments and a scene which can make a big bearded dman like me cry.
Shamploo was awesome.
As for Baccano!, I really gotta get around to that.. (sorry squish!)

Black Soldier

As far as me watching anime goes these days....I have this nasty habit of watching them at a snail's pace >_>
I have completed Aria the Animation almost a month ago and the last time I watched anime was over three weeks ago (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai ep 17 and the first episode of the Ah! My Goddess 2011 OVA).

I currently have 472 GB downloaded at the moment, and I also some DVDs as well.

By the way, does any anime watcher or manga reader here use a site called MyAnimeList?

X-tradyte

All I really watched was Bleach and Naruto. I have nothing much to say, except I've not seen Inuyasha for a long time.

[spoiler=Don't read unless you want to]also, I claim 4500th post for off topic board! :D[/spoiler]

Parabox

So it's vacation and I got all the time for watching and finishing an anime I need. The two that particularly pique my interests are Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann and Cowboy Bebop. However, I want to watch on of these with my friend Boaz. I was thinking Bebop may be more fit for that. What do you guys say?

Lunaria

I think you should see my little pony if you want not seen that yet. :P

But yeah, I have not seen the two animes in question nor do I know your friends like, so it's kinda hard suggesting either one of them. I know Gurren lagann is supposed to be quite over the top, but some people like that.

Zhs2

THE Purple Helmet

I've only seen Cowboy Beebop before. It's a personal favorite and it is indeed epic in it's own way! Good choice because you can watch casually or you can really dig into it. Either way I bet you'll dig it!