News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MetConst Community Super Metroid 100% Race

Started by ProjectXVIII, June 15, 2012, 01:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATHGODpi

Quote from: person701 on August 03, 2012, 04:08:08 AM
Sorry, this bit irks me hard. Currently, the person who wrote the route I've been using (Dessyreqt) has a 0:57 (1:26 real time). It's most definitely possible. Also, according to my estimates and data I've been collecting on runs, it would take a real time of about 1:29 to get just under a hour with 0:59.

Though I think I may be jumping the gun in the sense of you not knowing what all the route uses which include Kraid's quick kill and the Wave SBA on Phatoon instead of the stutter step method. Of course, your movement and trick execution play a big roll as well.

Also note this route isn't really world record material in my opinion. :neutral: It's safe while still keeping speed (which is good for races and casual runs), but I think a path where the player has to go all or nothing will be more rewarding.

Sorry about that - I'll take the blame for being wrong there - it was purely speculation without me seeking out definite answers/walkthroughs.

My all-time best is 1:04 and I've done quite a few... for me, anything close to 00:45 looks out of reach. :pale:

I usually complete any% runs in the neighborhood of 00:44... so 00:45 for 100% seems mind blowing...

(Here's a good looking 00:55 run...)

Super Metroid 100% speed run 0:55 SNES

Quietus

That's Red Scarlet's run from back in 2004.  I skipped through it, and it was funny seeing a load of the old tricks, like the Crystal Flash for the Spore Spawn skip. :^_^:

For a better example, you'd be better off watching the one I linked above.

personitis

Quote from: Quietus on August 03, 2012, 07:57:51 AMAbsolutely. The current world record sits at 0:48 on the PAL version.  A run of an equivalent standard on the NTSC version would net you around a 0:45.  That makes the hour barrier look non-existent. :sad:
Though you have to remember, it's actually possible to skip Bomb Torizo in real time on PAL. With that, NTSC will tack on about a minute due to that fight. Also, since the world record is done in segments, time could definitely be saved by not saving though you run the challenge of intense ammo management and rather difficult sections of the route otherwise known as "run enders." Though I will say I feel like there is still a faster route than that of the world record. All in all however, it really comes down to the player's skill in movement and execution.

Just some thoughts because I've fiddled with the idea of taking world record.

Quietus

The route as it currently stands has been analysed to death, tested using multiple alternate routes, and time to no end.  That route is currently the best.  Even the saves were different to normal, to get the best boss patterns.

As for the NTSC time, the 45 includes not being able to skip Torizo. :^_^:

X-tradyte

Quote from: Quietus on August 04, 2012, 05:59:58 PMAs for the NTSC time, the 45 includes not being able to skip Torizo. :^_^:

So that makes it possible, with the right person to get at least a low of 0:43-0:44, maybe? That still sounds like a fucking impossible thing to do, I mean, It's not often you see anything below 1-2 hours. Maybe 3 hours, at that.

MATHGODpi

Quote from: Wildfire on August 05, 2012, 12:17:01 AM
Quote from: Quietus on August 04, 2012, 05:59:58 PMAs for the NTSC time, the 45 includes not being able to skip Torizo. :^_^:

So that makes it possible, with the right person to get at least a low of 0:43-0:44, maybe? That still sounds like a fucking impossible thing to do, I mean, It's not often you see anything below 1-2 hours. Maybe 3 hours, at that.
Doesn't it require a 30Hz arm pump? Couldn't imagine anyone doing that in realtime... but then again you never know...

Just watched through the world record run... if I hadn't known better, I would have suspected cheating... for some, the run may look a little too perfected and polished to be believed...

Quietus

Quote from: Wildfire on August 05, 2012, 12:17:01 AM
So that makes it possible, with the right person to get at least a low of 0:43-0:44, maybe?
No, no human can press the button fast enough to be able to escape in time on NTSC.

Quote from: MATHGODpi on August 05, 2012, 02:10:51 AMJust watched through the world record run... if I hadn't known better, I would have suspected cheating... for some, the run may look a little too perfected and polished to be believed...
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.  I was in talks with the guys involved in the planning stages, and they posted regular vids and things.  Some of them are insane.  I often think that while I can do all of the tricks involved, doing them so frequently, and often simultaneously, is mental.  I always like the Ridley escape, just after the two spikey lifts.  He fires a beam to abuse a hitbox, short charges, and then speedballs, all in about a two-second span. :pale:

personitis

*Ploop*
Super Metroid 100% Speedrun - 1:37:19 (1:04)
Real Time - 1:37:19
Game Time - 1:04

And I still feel there's reasonable improvement to be made. Also might I recommend watching it in 480p.