News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Editing pause menu -colors etc

Started by ExMetroid, December 03, 2012, 01:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExMetroid

i need help with something ...
if anyone knows how to alter pause menu ,please let me know
not the map coloring,but the colors of "items selecting" tiles and the background
thx in advance   :^_^:

Quietus

Your best bet is going to be to start with DChronos's Status Screen Guide in the Docs section.

If you need anything else, let us know. :^_^:

ExMetroid

thanks a lot  :lol:

just one more question -how do i find these adress lines in smile?
i just strated using it and it's not as simple as thought  :nowai:
im sorry to bother you guys

Quietus

You don't find them in SMILE.  You'll need either a tile editing program, such as Tile Layer Pro, or a Hex Editor.  You can find links to both of them in the Tools section of the Main Site.

ExMetroid

thx  :yay:
it will take some time to learn how to properly use this XD

ExMetroid

status screen editing
for the love of god! can u please show which tiles i have to edit to make this happen ?
i found them with tilepro editor ,but it's hard to tell which color they are gonna be in the game -.- and which are the tiles when selecting items(that yellow block which tells you the name of the item)? i found the code/adres for it on the Metroid construction.com ,but  it just show me a bunch of tiles when i search for it -.- and i dont know how to find them .Can you plese help me? XD

Quietus

Thus is the way with any hacking.  If we could all learn it in five minutes, there'd be no need for somewhere like MetConst. :^_^:

FullOfFail

Ex Metroid, I just experimented until I found which color is which. I'm sure you could export the palette for the status screen, though. But I don't know it off-hand. The status screen is in the main rom, you just scroll down until you see the big samus virtual line image thing.

Zhs2

Sorry to break post continuity like this, but for the record ExMetroid: please refrain from making posts asking for help in people's hack topics, as it simply makes it more difficult for others to find the answers you received later on.

As for exporting the palette, you can go into SMILE's I Am A Genius section of the beauty salon (scroll bar in the middle takes you to Special GFX Palettes, then at the very bottom of the drop-down box) and start from 1B7000, length of FF bytes. All of this is fairly well documented in DChronos' guide, as Quietus pointed out earlier.

ExMetroid

Quote from: Zhs2 on December 06, 2012, 08:42:57 AM
Sorry to break post continuity like this, but for the record ExMetroid: please refrain from making posts asking for help in people's hack topics, as it simply makes it more difficult for others to find the answers you received later on.

As for exporting the palette, you can go into SMILE's I Am A Genius section of the beauty salon (scroll bar in the middle takes you to Special GFX Palettes, then at the very bottom of the drop-down box) and start from 1B7000, length of FF bytes. All of this is fairly well documented in DChronos' guide, as Quietus pointed out earlier.

yea,i found it  :^_^:

ExMetroid

Quote from: Zhs2 on December 06, 2012, 08:42:57 AM

i'm sorry ,i just that i'm kind of new to "forums" ,but i rly like the game and have couple of ideas that i want to see in the game XD i just need to leran how to do it  :^_^:

Quietus

Start with the basics.  Gets to grips with basic room editing.  Then look into some hex tweaks, graphical changes, or applying existing ASM.  Read through the documents available here, and watch the video tutorials.  Probably 90% of all basic questions are already answered here somewhere.  And remember: Hacking is time consuming.  There is no quick way to learn.  We all had to start somewhere, and newcomers are lucky that we've already established MetConst, which is a massive stepping stone for them. :^_^:

ExMetroid

Quote from: Quietus on December 06, 2012, 04:16:53 PM
Start with the basics.  Gets to grips with basic room editing.  Then look into some hex tweaks, graphical changes, or applying existing ASM.  Read through the documents available here, and watch the video tutorials.  Probably 90% of all basic questions are already answered here somewhere.  And remember: Hacking is time consuming.  There is no quick way to learn.  We all had to start somewhere, and newcomers are lucky that we've already established MetConst, which is a massive stepping stone for them. :^_^:

dont worry XD i have some experience with moding . Especially with Fallout 3 ,which is more complicated than this  :^_^: it's all in the finding the right adress :)
but thanks on all your help,this is a little  different,but it's just a matter of time  :^_^: thx again  :^_^:

FullOfFail

Fallout is definitely more complicated, but I wouldn't underestimate hacking SM neither. Even with all the info out there, it still takes months, even years to fully understand what you're doing. I don't even fully understand it myself, and I've been hacking for 3-4 years. There's so many factors, and overwriting something is a constant concern. But if you have a passion to hack, all those obstacles can be overcome.

ExMetroid

i dont underestimate SM  :whoa: it will just take some time to figure it out ,like all  :yay:
i freaking adore this game and im glad so many ppl appreciate it as much as i do  :^_^:

FullOfFail

Quote from: ExMetroid on December 06, 2012, 07:22:05 PM
i dont underestimate SM

I wasn't really trying to imply you did, but just making a general note. So many new hackers end up quitting. Just look at the WIP hack thread, it's full of people starting a hack, and never seen again. It's really just about the same amount of people that are still doing it consistently as it was 2 years ago.

Zhs2

It might be more complicated, but let us not forget that modding is not on the same level as hacking. Hacking does not imply the same level of expected community interaction as modding does, and as such one requires much more understanding of the game's internal working than the other, right down to individual instructions.