News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Supernova

Started by Tyjet66, August 12, 2010, 04:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Wow, that palette looks beautiful.
I think my favourite thing about it is actually those pipes. Here's hoping the rest of it is that pretty.  :^_^:

obcd

Quote from: Tyjet66 on August 10, 2013, 07:53:36 PM
I'll have different paths requiring (or not) different items with varying degrees of length/difficulty, that way it'll be more fun finding a speed running route.

so is this scrapped?

Quietus

Hacking is a slow process.  Any hack of a decent size takes years to make.  A hack receiving no update for months is not uncommon.  Hackers are generally good at updating the masses if something is dead, so sit tight.

Tyjet66

It's alive!

Thanks to Axiel being released, I've had a renewed interest in hacking. Even as far as planning out progression paths and room layouts in my head while working. Progress has been going swiftly, and I'm proud to announce that Crateria is completed.

Here are two things to hold you over for a while:
[spoiler="Entrance to Wrecked Ship"]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Beams"]
Beam strength will be dependent on how many beams you have equipped at the time. The fewer beams, the stronger it is. Each additional beam does effect the speed at which you can shoot, their speeds average.

Normal beam: fast - weak
Ice beam: slow - strong
Wave beam: average - average
Spazer: very fast - average
Plasma: average - very strong
[/spoiler]

Outside of that, I've updated the first post. I'll be progressing onto the Wrecked Ship next. Hopefully knock that bad boy out quickly. I want to play this so badly...

Cpt.Glitch

Sweet! Love your room design dude, good work.

Quietus

For that WS Entrance shot, make sure you randomise the filler.  A lot of those patches look very much like copy / paste action, and most without even being flipped for variety. :^_^:

Tyjet66

Quote from: Quietus on April 22, 2015, 06:29:49 PM
For that WS Entrance shot, make sure you randomise the filler.  A lot of those patches look very much like copy / paste action, and most without even being flipped for variety. :^_^:
I guess that's what I get for following a system for it.  :eyeroll:

Jordan5

Personally I quite liked the filler. As long as it's not all one tile then it is varied enough for in-game play. Just when we're staring at a static picture it can look a little more boring, I doubt you'd pay close attention during a play through :^_^:

Tyjet66

Quote from: Jordan5 on April 22, 2015, 09:56:17 PM
Personally I quite liked the filler. As long as it's not all one tile then it is varied enough for in-game play. Just when we're staring at a static picture it can look a little more boring, I doubt you'd pay close attention during a play through :^_^:
This is true. It's rather unnoticable in-game unless you're looking for it.

I didn't want to show off any of the Wrecked Ship yet, but since I'm not used to using this tileset, I want some opinions. What do you guys think?
The bottoms of the left two paths are supposed to look similar, I wasn't being lazy.  :wink:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Most of it looks OK.  I'd suggest aiming for consistency with the cable things.  They are broken, but it would make sense that they would have connected to something on the opposite wall in most cases.  Having them like you do suggests they never really went anywhere. :^_^:

Tyjet66

Thank you. Consistency is something that I kinda want to aim for with this map rather than the random, cavernous tileset of Crateria. It's a difficult transition, not gonna lie.

Took your advice in to consideration, added a few touches with that, and made some gentle modifications overall.
[spoiler="Round two"][/spoiler]
Any other suggestions you can think of? I'll be using this room and what I learn here as a kind of a guideline for the rest of this map.

I kinda want to do more of the computer/technology looking filler tiles, but with small corridors like these, they don't have the space to live up to their best potential. I'll probably save that more for other rooms. That, and I suck at using those tiles...

Quietus

The grapple section seems to really stand out, particularly due to the CRE, and like it's just glued on. :^_^:

Instead of this:

You could try something like this, as it uses matching tiles, and just set the claw things as grapple blocks:

Hope it helps! :grin: