News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Supernova

Started by Tyjet66, August 12, 2010, 04:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe

And by DBJ, you mean double bomb jumping, right? Because I would never even touch a hack that requires diagonal bomb jumping.

Anyway, those rooms are looking great! :yay: It does look better than before. Restarting the project seems like it was a great choice. Keep up the good work!

Scyzer

DBJ refers to double bomb jumping. What you're thinking of, having to bomb jump sideways multiple times in succession, is called horizontal bombjumping, and is WAY up there with the most difficult of tricks to pull off. Any hack that requires it more that once, and for that more than 2 bombs, is just asking too much.

Quietus

HBJ I am fine with, but any more than two bombs is all but impossible outside of a TAS, so I sincerely hope not! :heheh:

zephyrtronium

Horizontal and diagonal bomb jumping are different things: In the former, one travels horizontally, while in the latter, one travels diagonally. It would be silly to call diagonal bomb jumping horizontal or horizontal bomb jumping diagonal.

Quietus

As I understand it the horizontal bomb-jumps can incorporate diagonal bomb-jumps, so they're interchangeable to a degree.  I always thought of it as just a variation of the double bomb-jump, with the only difference being that you have horizontal movement mixed into the technique.

Tyjet66

I decided it would be appropriate to release a small public beta for everyone to play around with. It is not very big and is pretty much over after you get bomb, there are a few extra items to be found though.

Everyone thank Sadiztyk Fish for helping me a game breaking issue, allowing this release! Thank you!

Also, please help me out by giving me feedback, and be harsh!

X-tradyte

>.> <.<, Not much intention as I'm a beta tester, but w.e, Sure, I'll try it, REally looking towards BT's four scroll room :portal:

You might wanna fix the Scroll, On the way back from missiles one of the scrolls behind the door is blue or green, it just glitched the rom up. :L

Yonowaaru

That's what I got, too. Saving and resetting works, but it gets rid of the map in the process...

VideoGeemer

Quote from: XavierSMRH on March 07, 2011, 09:49:36 PM
And by DBJ, you mean double bomb jumping, right? Because I would never even touch a hack that requires diagonal bomb jumping.

Anyway, those rooms are looking great! :yay: It does look better than before. Restarting the project seems like it was a great choice. Keep up the good work!

If done similar to the bombs in Sigma++, this would actually be doable. Those things explode immediately.

VG

X-tradyte

Yeah, but the Sigma++ bombs are meant to do that for if you lay a bomb it does damage to you. unless you have the Varia suit...(Varia right?) Then it does nothing to you.

VideoGeemer

Quote from: DarkSamus on March 24, 2011, 10:20:00 AM
Yeah, but the Sigma++ bombs are meant to do that for if you lay a bomb it does damage to you. unless you have the Varia suit...(Varia right?) Then it does nothing to you.

Close; you're on the right track. Sure, right at first you don't want to bomb anywhere, but once you get a little bit powered-up, you can use these bombs to go quite a distance through the air.

VG

Tyjet66

Hello.

Current playable area:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Current 100%:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Latest room (not on the map):
[spoiler][/spoiler]

It's been nearly two years since I've last worked on this. With that said, it's not going die unless I do. Cheers, Quietus!

MetroidMst

Definitely glad to see that this is still being worked on! (And looks good too.) This is just about the best news one could get.

Quietus

In a slight break from my usual self: Holy frickin' jizzballs.  I may have to run through Stardust to get a fix. :^_^:

Welcome back, Tyjet.  If you still need the support, let me know. :cool:

Tyjet66

The only thing I really need help with as of now is motivation to actually work on this. I'm trying to force myself as I do want to do it, but I'd rather do other things. I'll be continuing on this and hopefully I can move past Crateria soon.

Quietus

Well, let me know if you need anything.  Otherwise, if it's just motivation you're after: Do, it!  Do it!  Do it!! :heheh:

Vismund Cygnus

Well this is the first I've seen of this, and I must say it's looking pretty damned nice.
Now for motivation;
FINISH THIS I WANNA PLAY  :lol:

Smiley

It's great to see this is still in the works, but you really shouldn't force yourself. If you do, you might end up with a shitty hack, and we know how fun those are.

Tyjet66

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on August 08, 2013, 07:45:49 PM
It's great to see this is still in the works, but you really shouldn't force yourself. If you do, you might end up with a shitty hack, and we know how fun those are.
Honestly, my first hack (Stardust) was forced and rushed, and most people loved it. If I do force myself, I wont allow myself to cut corners. This will be of a much higher quality than my previous. The release date is still far away but I promise not to disappoint.

Tyjet66

I figured you guys deserve a little more than just those screenshots, I'll tell you more about my plan.

I have two main guidelines in mind when planning everything out:
1. I want this hack to be fun to speedrun. I'm taking everything into consideration from enemy placement to ease of traversing terrain.
2. I want this hack to be as close to unsequencebreakable as possible.*
* To do this, I'm going to have as little of a sequence as possible.

My plan is to allow you to face nearly every boss and mini boss in any order. Most items will not have any set sequence - currently Morph Ball -> Missiles -> Bombs is the current required start but I'll see if I can change that. This will also mean that you'll be able to traverse between maps seamlessly and in nearly any order as well.

I was bored at work and I drew out a basic map outline:
All major spoilers are erased. I'm sure you can discern a few area names, but I wont disclose any ones you can't figure out.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Here's another picture to tie you guys over:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

MetroidMst

Are you a med student? Because that map is organized!

In all seriousness, it sounds very interesting. Only one other hack really tried that approach, and it was a little more linear than what you are describing. Of course, that would open up a lot of possible speedrunning possibilities, and Quietus finding the fastest one in a week. Certainly want to see what is done.

Tyjet66

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 10, 2013, 07:25:54 PM
Are you a med student? Because that map is organized!

In all seriousness, it sounds very interesting. Only one other hack really tried that approach, and it was a little more linear than what you are describing. Of course, that would open up a lot of possible speedrunning possibilities, and Quietus finding the fastest one in a week. Certainly want to see what is done.
College dropout, actually.

This hack will literally be as non-linear as possible. I'm sure I can make it work, I'm not worried about that part, but I am worried about the amount of work required.

MetroidMst

The only thing that would be good to keep in mind it seems, is to make sure everything is open to the player. Which simply means no doorcaps, no Speed Boost blocks, and no heated rooms. Otherwise, you could probably do whatever you want to do, wherever you want to do it.

Tyjet66

I'll have different paths requiring (or not) different items with varying degrees of length/difficulty, that way it'll be more fun finding a speed running route.

Quietus

* Quietus memorises the map.

Nice room, Tyjet.  It's nice to see those slopes getting used. :^_^: