News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Cider Demo Release

Started by Cardweaver, August 04, 2010, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardweaver

After a lot of thought, I've decided to release what I have done of Cider so far. This is around 1/4 of the finished product.

My main reason for releasing this demo is mostly that I'm too busy to get anything done, and it's sat around untouched for almost a year now. There shouldn't be any major glitches or anything, I have extensively tested it so everything should work about as intended.

Information:
-unheadered (same rom as I always use if you've played any of my other stuff)
-above average difficulty, mostly due to things you've probably never had to do before.
-I've closed off all areas leading out of the demo, so you shouldn't get stuck.
-I encourage you to look in SMILE and see how I did some of it, but I hope you'll wait until you've done as much as you can.
-Once you enter Maridia, there's no going back so try to find as much as you can before going there.
Hope you enjoy it  :^_^:

Daltone

Yay! This is pretty fun so far!
[spoiler]I just got the speed booster. Puzzles are good. The fight with Kraid was mean. The difficulty seems reasonable, a bit challenging. I don't mind the under water parts with the fast movement.[/spoiler]
I will definitely finish the demo, and I'm looking forward to the final release!

Hiroshi Mishima

Forgot to post yesterday that I grabbed the demo patch and will try it out.

DonnyDonovan

I'm having a terrible time jumping out of the water.  I think I see what I need to do, but it seems like it needs to be extremely precise.  This hack might be beyond my extremely average (if not below) level of skill. 

Crashtour99

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on August 06, 2010, 09:34:44 AM
I'm having a terrible time jumping out of the water. 

Ditto...  After morph and 10 missiles, getting out of the water seems nigh impossible... 

MetroidMst

After playing in part your half-hacks this is quite refreshing. I found it to be just the right amount of challenge for me. The enemy and puzzles are extremely clever. The explortation is great. Kraid was actually pretty easy I thought, Crocomire got me a few times though do to you exploiting his hit-box.

All in all, I hope you finish this sometime because this is one of the very few hacks that I really, really like. As is I think it is the best I've played.

Parabox

MetroidMst

Quote from: DekuKnight on August 07, 2010, 05:29:14 AM
Quote from: MetroidMst on August 06, 2010, 10:20:26 PM
explortation
I lol'd. Exploration exploitation anyone?
That is the upgraded version of exploration.

Anyway one other thought I have so far is that Cider is very linear. Toward the end you can get a little off track, but not by much. Maybe you planned on having it open up a little bit later, but the paths I followed almost always led me toward where I assumed I was supposed to go.

FPzero

Well I'm at an impasse.  I don't have enough E tanks to survive the Speedbooster heat run and I can't backtrack out of Crocomire's room because of the water physics.  I don't want to start all over from the beginning...

MetroidMst

Check the room with the platform enemies that is partialy underwater. With the triangles in the BG. Check it out carefully.

FPzero

Well I found that but the way out after that is blocked by speed booster blocks so I guess I really am stuck.  Unless there's an E Tank in the room in addition to the super missile tank i found.

Cardweaver

Did you somehow manage to get there with only 1 etank? I can be done with a little room for error with 2 etanks if you don't waste any time.

Katelyn

Really? Because I can't seem to do it either. :<

Scyzer

if you're at the SB area, there's another 2 ET's floating around nearby that you are able to get.
Both of them are quite well hidden though :P

FPzero

I have two e tanks and even with slowdowns and rewinds, I can't manage to get through it.  Maybe I'll try more but I consistently die at the same place, about two map tiles from the door on the run back.

fakeedit: I just saw Fish's post after getting back from being out so no i haven't found any more e tanks other than a single one that was nearby.  Which would mean that according to her, there's another hiding in the area.

Silver Skree

If it comes down to starting all over, you could always just apply a temporary cheat and give yourself the ability to go back.

Not saying you should give up on looking for some stuff you still might be missing though.

(I should actually play this...)

Katelyn

Found the hidden E-Tank.

[spoiler]It's in the room right before speedbooster. Check near the door to the left.[/spoiler]

FPzero

Thanks for that hint.  Still had to look in SMILE to find it though.  Card, that's something no one's going to find without a hint or x-ray and if they're in my situation where they don't seemingly have enough stuff, they're likely to get frustrated about restarting.  Only thing that stopped me from starting over was the assurance that I wasn't stuck after all.

Cardweaver

Sorry, FirePhoenix. When testing I managed with 2 etanks, and assumed that 2 was enough.

[spoiler]I think the best fix for this would be to put in a crumble block path in the bubble room leading back to the area before crocomire, which I've already done in my copy to make sure I don't forget about it.[/spoiler]

FPzero

Sounds like a good idea.  What's worse is that after that segment I found like 4 more e tanks in various places and it turns out that I was short on tanks because I didn't go one more screen to the right in that bubble room.  I saw the floor door and went in and that was that.  :(

Don't know what to do after getting speed booster.  Pretty sure there's still a couple more places to go though.

Cardweaver

Total possible item collection in the demo:

[spoiler]
7 etanks
90 missiles
11 super missiles
2 reserve tanks
charge
ice
spazer
varia
morphball
bombs
springball
HJ boots
speed booster
[/spoiler]

Yonowaaru

So, playing this right now, but I'm a little bit out of practice and therefor, already lost my way..
I just got missles and morphball in brinstar, but nothing else there afaik. There was a red door in crateria, but the way up in that room was blocked by either an invisible block or a Chozo statue. There was a passage under the ship, but the door won't open yet.

So, what now?

Scyzer

I was just missing a super missile... :O
I know where it is, cause you said over IRC that there were 2 items in the specific room, but I couldn't figure out how to break the block :S not without a crystal flash...

MetroidMst

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on August 10, 2010, 11:09:57 AM
I was just missing a super missile... :O
I know where it is, cause you said over IRC that there were 2 items in the specific room, but I couldn't figure out how to break the block :S not without a crystal flash...
[spoiler]Try running before shooting.[/spoiler]

Cardweaver

Not the room she's talking about, but I'm glad you figured that one out, metroidmst.

sadfish:
[spoiler]There's a hint as to how to shoot that block in the detail of the room[/spoiler]