News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid - LotB - prologue FINISHED

Started by stat!k, August 04, 2010, 03:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what do you rate this hack?

1-2 crap
0 (0%)
3-4 meh
0 (0%)
5-6 its ok
5 (45.5%)
6-7 i like it
3 (27.3%)
8-9 its quite good
2 (18.2%)
10 i love this
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Untouchablekill

The thinner one, and we should make it like green beam with a mixture of purple to give it a reactor look.

stat!k

ok, will try that, have to do it this arvo tho, got school -.-
there still is a 'floating metal bit' in the doors, remove it?

personitis

Personally I liked the doors. But uhh... yea.

Phazar

I personally like the first("fatter") generator better because of the huge beam.  The laser looks more...powerful.

stat!k

ok then, should i redraw it? you know, mak it looks better. personaly i think it looks abit..... lame

Quietus

Despite all of the comments on here, you should remember that this is your hack, and you should do what you feel is right.  Posting somthing like this beam, and asking for general comments is OK, but I wouldn't ask for opinions on each aspect of your hack.  Do what feels right, and I'm sure people will let you know any obvious things when you post content here. :^_^:

stat!k

Quote from: Quietus on August 09, 2010, 08:23:49 AM
Despite all of the comments on here, you should remember that this is your hack, and you should do what you feel is right.  Posting somthing like this beam, and asking for general comments is OK, but I wouldn't ask for opinions on each aspect of your hack.  Do what feels right, and I'm sure people will let you know any obvious things when you post content here. :^_^:
that is true, yes but from the start i have been getting alot of help from others (grime, project ect.) there are some things i and def. keeping
will post more content tonight, and will be doing a final test. be expecting it within the next few days

stat!k

ok, as promised, more content! its a semi-full map of my hack (excluding Ceres and a few other rooms)
i am only putting this here because there will be no in-game map (there will me a mini map, but that's it)
and also so you can see how big/small this hack is
[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: to avoid triple post.
it seams that the generator may not make it into the hack =(
after i applied another ASM patch that will end the game on contact, it seams to have 'broken' the generator
i have no idea why, maybe its not even the generators fault, but it is broken none-the-less.
so i have 2 options:
1) ask UTK really really nicely to see what's wrong (i cant do ASM for shit)
2) just leave the generator out (making the hack a little harder)

Untouchablekill

As long as the ASM you applied does not conflict with Air. Fool X-Ray bts 08, then the generator will work.

stat!k

no, it uses air. Fool X-Ray bts 0F, i have no idea why it doesn't work. mayby it conflicts with something? iv gotta go, got school. if i have a class in the computer room ill go onto IRC. thanks.

Untouchablekill

Np, and try to send me the ASM or whatever it is, I will try and crack the code on what is up with it.

Hiroshi Mishima

I do hope that the start button will be disabled so people don't keep black-screening and ruining the game for themselves. I don't remember if you can disable start ENTIRELY or if it was just for one area. Probably a little ASM would make it applicable to all.

Untouchablekill

I think I might know how, but I'd have to do a bunch of testing which I do not have the time for.

MetroidMst

DSO knows all about the pausing stuff so you might want to send him a message. He told me it was relatively simple because I asked him about it too for a certain part of Fear. Worth a shot.

Hiroshi Mishima

Yeah, I really think dealing with the Pause Button issue is important cause it happens way too often. We're all hardwired from so much Super Metroid that when you wanna pause the game, you push start. I can't remember how many times I lost progress cause of that... >_<;

stat!k

ok, ill get onto DSO sometime tonight. and UTK ill send you the patch later aswell, come onto IRC about 7:00 AUS time if you can, if not then ill send you a PM on the forums
EDIT: woow, fixed the generator! now all i need to do is ask DSO if he can supply me with a 'nostart' fix and then repair a few broken BG's

Hiroshi Mishima

[spoiler]Yes, you're welcome. If I actually finish the hack past Ridley (again) I'll tell you more. I am so very happy you didn't wait until I'd finished so I could tell you that the area past him didn't feel right. :/ Feels like I wasted my damn time... I hope for your sake you had some other test players who actually got past Ridley (without having to use slowdowns) to actually test the last part of your hack. This is just like when Silver Skree didn't let me test the end of Sigma Boss Rush and just shoved it out.. and those of us who played it knew what went wrong there.[/spoiler]

Quietus

Is Supers before Hi-Jump a sequence break? :O_o:

Xaggoth

1:37, 38%

I had a pretty good time with this, though I ran around a lot before I found bombs and the path after the boss though.  There were a lot of tiling errors that I noticed, and that made it hard to find a few of the items since I assumed they were errors and not paths. 

I felt like I was very overpowered for the entire game except the boss, where I really didn't have much energy to spare at all.  This wasn't really a problem I suppose, I found what I feel was probably many of the extra items, but maybe a few e-tanks short.

Though the scenery wasn't very interesting, most of the palettes and graphics were default, I did like the custom graphics work that you did do.  One little thing that bugged me was the incomplete suit palettes for speed booster. 

The ending was really abrupt, I was not expecting that at all, so, pretty awesome actually.

DonnyDonovan

1:04, 35%.  This was a pleasant surprise overall, and a nice diversion while waiting for Ice Metal.  I did a heated run and made it through before realizing that wasn't the way.  The boss was quite hard compared to the rest of the hack, although wouldn't have been bad at all with the plasma beam, which I didn't have and I don't know if it exists in this hack.  

At times I was collecting powerups so fast it almost felt like SFI or Stardust.  At other times I found myself exploring quite a bit figuring out where to go.  I liked the balance.  Anyone looking for a nice little minihack should give this a go.

The ending was indeed...abrupt.   Don't know how I felt about that.  

Edit:  I'd be curious to know what the maxes are.  I've been searching everywhere but can't get above 35%.  Obviously Xaggoth found one expansion that I didn't, since missiles seem to be worth 3% each.

Hiroshi Mishima

I could have sworn that Statik mentioned what was in the hack somewhere...

First page:

Quote from: stat!k on August 06, 2010, 02:00:46 AM1)will get back to you on the item count, gotta go count it! 30 items total but most will only get 29 (i have made space-jump an Easter egg)
2)ummmmm 1/3 the size? should only take you about 1 hour and a half, my record is 40 minutes
Granted it took me a bit more than an hour an a half.. probably closer to several hours minimum with lots of wandering around lost looking for the last couple of items. I'm pretty sure I was still missing 1-3 tanks somewhere, too.

stat!k

im not really sure what the maximum % is but your probably pretty close, thanks for the good reviews. Hiroshi if by 'it' you mean plasma then no, it is not in the hack. it was in the early stages, it was were gravity suit is now, and gravity was at the first power bombs (crazy huh)also, the maximum energy tanks is 4 and 1 reserve

Hiroshi Mishima

Uhm, I don't recall asking about the Plasma Beam. I think that was someone else.

stat!k