News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1][Editroid] Vertical Rooms

Started by Parabox, July 14, 2010, 07:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parabox

This is kinda directed towards snarfblam, but anyone else who knows may answer as well.
On Editroid 1.2.whatever you could easily spot and use the vertical room button. On Editroid 2a I can't find it anywhere just when I need it. Halp plx.

snarfblam

Quote from: DekuKnight on July 14, 2010, 07:24:02 PMOn Editroid 1.2.whatever you could easily spot and use the vertical room button.
I guess I missed it.

But seriously, there is no vertical room button. The way the vertical/horizontal scrolling works in Nestroid is it simply switches from one to the other each time you go through a door. If you are in a horizontal room and pass through a door, the scrolling goes vertical, and vice-versa.

The exception is the special doors used to connect a horizontal room to a horizontal room. (Or, rather, it's the doorway, a.k.a. door connector I'm referring to, not the door itself.) In the original ROM this would be structure # 4 (the normal door is structure # 3). There is absolutely no way to connect a vertical room to a vertical room.

I had been working on a hack to allow Editroid to specify the scrolling for every screen on the map. This would make scrolling infinitely easier (you wouldn't need to use the right kind of door, and would be able to do vertical-to-vertical). Right now this is just behind the back burner because I'm already working on too many things.

Parabox

Hmm ok then. I'll see if I can work something out.

snarfblam

I've found a simple hack that changes the way doors work to allow you to connect a vertical room to a vertical room.

Typically, a normal doorway (structure #3) toggles scrolling (i.e. can be used to connect a vertical room to a horizontal room), and the other kind of door (structure #4) always sets scrolling to horizontal (this is only suitable for connecting horizontal rooms to horizontal rooms). This leaves us without the option to connect a vertical room to a vertical room. The hack changes the way normal doors work. Instead of toggling the scrolling, the normal doorways will always set scrolling to vertical.

All it takes is a tiny ASM hack to change the way doors work. The code running at 0xe237 needs to be changed from LDY $58 to LDY #$00. In plain ol' hex, the new code is A0 00. In a standard ROM this would be found at 0x1E247. In an expanded ROM it would be found at 0x3E247.

If you use this hack, it means you have to use doorways differently. Door #3 goes to a vertical room, and door #4 goes to a horizontal room. To connect a horizontal room to a vertical room, the horizontal room should use door #3 and the vertical room should use door #4. To go horizontal to horizontal, use door #4 on each side. To go vertical to vertical, used door #3 on each size.

Understand that this will break all of the pre-existing doors in the game. It's easy enough to fix, though. Just change every door in a vertical room from door #3 to door #4.

Not to complicated.

*Note that, just to be confusing, doors in Ridley's hideout use structure #1 for a normal door and structure #2 for a horizontal-to-horizontal door.