News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid SNES Custom Box Art

Started by Riffman81, July 13, 2010, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riffman81

This is my FINAL SNES box art for Super Metroid: Eris. The last one was kind of a rough idea I had, so this one will be the final concept. The reason I did box art for this hack is simple: it's a great hack and the first hack of Super Metroid I had put onto an actual SNES cart. I hope to have a few more hacks put onto cart as well in the future such as Ice Metal, and the long awaited... Super Metroid: Aegis (If that ever gets released) In the meantime enjoy this new cover art for Eris. I'll update this thread when I post new box art. If any one else wants to do some custom box art for the original Super Metroid, or any of it's hacks, I'd like to see so post here if you wish. I'll also put up some pics of the actual cart if anyone wishes to see it. If anyone wants these covers, just let me know and I'll post a download link for them.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Download Covers
[spoiler]http://rapidshare.com/files/1453359766/Super%20Metroid%20-%20(Hack%20SNES%20Covers).zip[/spoiler]

Edit: Link updated: 01/08/13

X-tradyte

Good job on box art dude. But shouldn't it say LICENSED BY DIGITAL_MANTRA? That'd look better since it was created by DMan.

Riffman81

Quote from: DarkSamus on July 13, 2010, 08:14:29 PM
Good job on box art dude. But shouldn't it say LICENSED BY DIGITAL_MANTRA? That'd look better since it was created by DMan.

I made this to look as authentic and retro as possible.

X-tradyte

Quote from: Riffman81 on April 28, 2375, 11:42:31 AM
I made this to look as authentic and retro as possible.
And thats what you did. I'm just saying an opinion.

THE Purple Helmet

Riffman, the new art looks fantastic! If I might say so, your original idea for Eris boxart fit very well with the phazon hack. Didnt I see you mention on another thread that you were considering putting that on a cart? (although I wouldnt recommend it until the mapping issues are fixed)

Riffman81

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off on having Phazon dumped onto cart. If the bugs ever get fixed, then I just might.

Digital_Mantra

I love it. However the high res version you sent me could use some better sentence breaks.

Loving the new cover, loving what you actually did here. I was totally flattered when I heard people were using some homebrew thing to play Eris on their Wii,
but nothing warms my heart more than the physical manifestation of a childhood fantasy (my own metroid game on a cartridge you can put into your super nintendo, with fackin' box art!).

edit: Perhaps of the pictures you have up, you could add some variation. If I were my old child self when SM hit the shelves, I'd think the entire game is very.. blue. Which it is.. but maybe find some more variation. Maybe a picture of Marble Shrine or Eris Station, etc tossed in with the blue planet pics.

Riffman81

Thanks Dman, I'm glad you like it. I'll work on fixing the sentence breaks and add some new screen shots... but for the most part, it's finished. One thing I've always loved about the ROM hacking community in general is that it keeps the older consoles alive. The Super Nintendo was my all-time favorite system, and it's great to have something new to play on it from time to time. Once I get my Mega Man hack done, I can finally work on doing my own Super Metroid hack, and I think it was playing your hack that made me want to do my own. I'm trying to learn SMILE in my spare time, not rushing anything. Hope to start on it this fall if all goes well with the Mega Man 2 hack I'm working on. I'll send the modified cover your way when I fix the description on the back side and tweak the screen shots a bit.

interdpth

Quote from: DarkSamus on July 13, 2010, 08:14:29 PM
Stupid idea, extremely illegal, would throw the grey line ROM hackers walk way over into the darkside.

Riffman: That's purty

Riffman81

I'm going to hold off on doing art for Phazon until the bugs get fixed. I don't plan on doing box art for every hack that comes out, but I'll consider anyone requesting box art for their hacks as long as they can give me an idea of what they would like it to look like.

Lunaria

Well, if you take requests, then feel free to do one for Ice Metal uninstall. (Yes that's the full title)

Inspiration could be taken from my website I made.

Also, I must admit that the new one you made from Eris is extremely sexy in itself.

Riffman81

Quote from: Crys on July 14, 2010, 07:31:32 PM
Also, I must admit that the new one you made from Eris is extremely sexy in itself.

Thanks, and yes Im going to get right on the cover art for Ice Metal, and maybe we could pack it in with the .IPS when it's released, your call.

Lunaria

Quote from: Riffman81 on July 14, 2010, 08:39:30 PM
and maybe we could pack it in with the .IPS when it's released, your call.
Sound like an great idea to me. :P

Quietus

This is beginning to sound like a greatest hack bundle thread. :^_^:

Next we need to work our magic on Danidub for some exquisite maps, rope somebody into writing a full walkthrough, and then we'll have the hack, boxart, map and a full walkthrough all in each bundle. :heheh:

Since I've mentioned it, a walkthrough for each hack doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Hmm...

X-tradyte

Quote from: Quietus on July 15, 2010, 11:00:06 AMa walkthrough for each hack doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Hmm...
And Quietus gets his smart idea!  :lol: But yeah, if that would work, I'd be honored to make the walkthrough maybe with Quietus. Have fun making Box art.

personitis

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on July 14, 2010, 02:29:26 AMI was totally flattered when I heard people were using some homebrew thing to play Eris on their Wii,
As far as I know, us people with hacked Wiis are just putting the Snesx emulator on our Wii and playing Snes ROMs and hack through that. =)

Boxart: Great job. I wish I could read all the text on the back though. >.<

MetroidMst

Walkthroughs would probably be best written by the hacks creator, as hacks tend to be somewhat more open ended when I play them than I found the original to be. So the creator could put down the intended path and item progression while someone else, who may be very skilled, might deviate from that path. Either way though, walkthroughs would be cool to have released with this whole "package."

X-tradyte

Thats true. Walkthroughs are best by the hacks creator. I intend on a walkthrough for Dark when is finished. I'd post it on my topic.

squishy_ichigo

I got an idea! How about instead of posting all over the forum all day long you go work on this hack you constantly bring up! :awesome:

The way you go on about it every day I get the feeling its really badass, it must be since you talk about it so much.  Man, I can't wait to play it now!  Hurry up and finish it buddy!

Katelyn

Um, anyone besides me hate using guides for games? Because don't they ruin the fun of exploring?

Zhs2

Not if you don't reference them. C:

Riffman81

Quote from: Shadox on July 15, 2010, 01:46:46 PM
Um, anyone besides me hate using guides for games? Because don't they ruin the fun of exploring?

Guides aren't a bad idea... But I agree, I like the fun of exploring and finding out things on my own. It keeps replay value and brings the player back for more. If guides are released with every hack, I personally think the fun of playing through gets lost. However, a mini-walkthrough that was done with Eris might be ok. I don't recall that it spoiled the fun all that much. I think it should be the creators call if a guide is released or not.

@DarkSamus - Just how is this hack of yours coming along?

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on July 15, 2010, 12:16:47 PM
I got an idea! How about instead of posting all over the forum all day long you go work on this hack you constantly bring up! :awesome:

The way you go on about it every day I get the feeling its really badass, it must be since you talk about it so much.  Man, I can't wait to play it now!  Hurry up and finish it buddy!

:lol:

Lunaria

Quote from: Shadox on July 15, 2010, 01:46:46 PM
Yeah, have fun finding those missile expansions hidden in stupid walls all over the place. See: maridia turtle room, that norfair shaft with crumble blocks, etc.

Quietus

Yeah, the idea of a guide is down to each user.  Normally when I play a game, I like to finish it, try for 100%, and then check a guide if I get really stumped.

As for the bundling idea, that was kinda tongue-in-cheek, but having a guide for each hack on the hacks page could be very handy.  I guess we'd have to try and agree on a format, or group of formats that are acceptable.  I'd probably just create them in Word or something, and add in loads of pics between the text.  I'll have a fiddle, and see what I can come up with.  I'll start a new topic if I get anything worthwhile, instead of continuing to hijack Riffman's. :^_^:

Kaskadenkarussell

I've thought about putting Eris on cartridge myself (though am not really planning to do so right now due to Eris "1.1" / NTSC/Pal issues / clueless how to, or whom to ask to build the cartridge / cost, including an actual Snes console, as I don't have one anymore, as well as not being rich / no clue how to build the box even,.......), as I'm very fond of the idea myself.

Personally, I would definitely include danidub's "Area-map" and "Echoes of Eris", DMantra's soundtrack, on cd.

The design, feel, atmosphere of planet Eris is, for sure, one of my favourite part of DMantra's hack, and I believe DMantra's/danidub's map can help further enhance reliving DMantra's vision by giving many rooms a concrete theme, or a "reason to be there", that would otherwise often be too subtle to notice, ultimately giving the player a broader sense of what the planet may be like.
To be honest, I probably would never have noticed the caged Dachora in Hell's kitchen to be the next in line for bloody crushed Dachora meal, which is as unsettling as brilliant, especially because you'll learn about it only after you've come to see them served a few times already. Thought there even might be some kind of ovens in the background in the kitchen, because the Chozo like 'em like hot chicken.

I don't consider Eris rectangular map plus underground to be much of a spoiler. The only thing it spoils really is how much of "game" there might be left to the player after acquiring the artifacts, but the pros outweight the con's imo. The convenience of having the map lying right next to you while playing instead of looking at it through the Internet is nice as well.

I enjoyed listening to "Echoes of Eris", and I believe that is a pretty good reason to include it, even though it isn't "finished" in the sense that DMantra didn't compose music for the last areas. I believe someone made & shared his custom cover over @ m2k2's "Echoes of Eris" thread. Last time I checked, the download link for the album there wasn't working anymore, and I, unfortunately, do not have it anymore since I got a new PC.

Riffman81, I would appreciate it if you would upload a high resolution picture of the box, I would like to read the text on it's backside.
I think it looks really good as well, even if there are Ings on the cover. Also, how do you make these cartridges?