News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid SNES Custom Box Art

Started by Riffman81, July 13, 2010, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riffman81

Quote from: Quietus on July 16, 2010, 08:16:45 AM
I'll start a new topic if I get anything worthwhile, instead of continuing to hijack Riffman's. :^_^:

Don't worry about that Quietus, go ahead and discuss your idea's as much as you would like :^_^:

Quote from: Kaskadenkarussell on July 16, 2010, 09:31:38 AM
Riffman81, I would appreciate it if you would upload a high resolution picture of the box, I would like to read the text on it's backside.
I think it looks really good as well, even if there are Ings on the cover. Also, how do you make these cartridges?

I plan on uploading all the covers I make soon. I still have some minor touch-ups to do with the Eris cover, as well as a few other projects I'm working. Once I get Eris touched up and a few other things, I'll post a link to download.

As for making SNES carts, it's quite a complicated task. I stopped making reproduction carts about two years ago due to a shortage on parts I needed in my area where I live. Used SNES carts are hard to come by in my neck of the woods and getting them off evil-bay started to become a hassle. Super Metroid, like other carts (Such as Star Fox 2) requires a special donor cart with a specific EPROM.  However, Star Fox 2 also has the FX chip, therefore it's even harder to find a donor cart unless you use the original Star Fox or Stunt Race FX. There's a bit more to it then what I'm saying but no need to give a huge tutorial on how to make these things. In short, I found a guy on another forum who was doing it, and after playing Eris, I decided that it was one that I had to add to my collection. So I contacted him and he built it for me, as he has resources to get more donor carts when needed.

Also, the covers I made are for Universal Game Cases. Those cases come in packages of 100 for about $45 USD. Not a bad deal IMO if you have a large collection of SNES titles you want to maintain. You can find the cases here:

www.mediashelving.com

They hold SNES, N64, Genesis, and if modified a bit, NES games as well. The cover slides in to the clear sleeve on the case, and then can be displayed.

Here is a pic of a few games I have in my collection that I didn't have boxes to. I used the UGC for these loose carts.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: Text on back of Eris Cover (From Digital_Mantra)

Eris Station. Situated on a cold planet, federation researchers endure the harsh
environment motivated by awe to explore and study the ruins of ancient Chozo civilizations.

Of all Chozo settlements, Eris has the most ruins not destroyed by time or space pirate
vandalism. A Marble Shrine. The Sacred Grounds of Ethos. An ancient laboratory.
A crystal cavern graveyard. A monolithic hollowed out phazon tree brimming with life.
Life and society flourished here for countless cycles it seems.

However something has happened to the research teams. Not a single update in nearly half a
cycle. Quite a cause for alarm given that contact is maintained almost daily.

Riffman81

Sorry for the double post. Here is an alternate cover for the original Super Metroid for you guys to checkout.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Riffman81

Bumping this to post my Boxart for Super Metroid: Redesign. Finally affter many failed attempts, I got this hack working on actual hardware and am very proud to add it to my collection.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I will also be posting a link to a .zip file that will contain hi-res versions of all my Metroid covers for anyone that may want them. But I'm holding off until I release the art for Ice Metal. Once that's done, I'll post the link in the first post. I'm also doing vertical covers for Super Metroid: Eris, and the original game to be included with the horizontal covers I've already completed.

Hiroshi Mishima

Did you mention the physics changes in there anywhere? I still recall how... well, shocked, I suppose... I was that it really didn't play a whole lot like Super Metroid when you got right down to it. Regardless, however, I like the way it looks and think you did a really good job on it.

Zhs2

24 Megs of action? o.O Is that supposed to be Megabits, captain?

Silver Skree

Quote from: Zhs2 on August 18, 2010, 05:27:05 AM
24 Megs of action? o.O Is that supposed to be Megabits, captain?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Yes, that'd be bits, not bytes. Seems that was the understood standard for size back then. :>_>:

Zhs2

Too bad I didn't care enough to go looking for a secret room in Chrono Trigger. Ah, the wonders of the 90's! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Quietus

Just a few things relating to wording:

'comes home' doesn't make perfect sense, since Redesign never left.  Just 'comes' would probably be better.
'total overhaul' would sound better as 'complete overhaul'.  While technically correct, 'total' just doesn't fit as well.
'new added' should just be 'new', as this already implies additions.
'every power-up item' should probably just be 'every power-up', as again, the 'items' is implied by 'power-ups'.
'Power-up items' again...
'much... much more!' should just be 'much, much more!'

Hope it helps. :^_^:

Riffman81

Quote from: Quietus on August 18, 2010, 03:16:54 PM
Just a few things relating to wording:

'comes home' doesn't make perfect sense, since Redesign never left.  Just 'comes' would probably be better.
'total overhaul' would sound better as 'complete overhaul'.  While technically correct, 'total' just doesn't fit as well.
'new added' should just be 'new', as this already implies additions.
'every power-up item' should probably just be 'every power-up', as again, the 'items' is implied by 'power-ups'.
'Power-up items' again...
'much... much more!' should just be 'much, much more!'

Hope it helps. :^_^:

Yeah, thanks. I suppose I should read the entire description when putting them on my covers. I didn't write this description. I pulled it off another forum that had a thread about popular ROM hacks. I'm one of the guys that just recently played through Redesign. Although I've known about the hack for several years, I never really played through it until I actually tested it out on real hardware. That's why I didn't compile my own description of the game. I'll be sure to do a re-write and touch it up before I realese all the completed covers.

For those of you who have hacks close to compleation, if you'd like a cover made, just send me a PM with your ideas. I'll be glad to see what I can do. I recently had a Super Metroid: Stardust cart made for a friend, so I'm going to ask and see if I can do a cover for that one as well. Thanks for the feedback everyone :^_^:

Riffman81

With the release of Ice Metal, I give you the custom cover(s). A preview pic is below of the NTSC cover. Although I did 4 different versions of the cover and I believe Crys has them posted for download as well. Check the "readme" file that comes with the IPS for Ice Metal.

I also re-worked the SM: Redesign cover, adding the description of the game from the official site. Also below is a preview pic for SM: Stardust, a cover I put together for Tyjet66, the creator of that hack.

I'm posting a download link in the first post of this thread that contains all the covers I've done so far for anyone who wants them. These are hi-res covers so the download size is around 25MB. It also contains all the cart labels for those games.

ICE METAL:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

SUPER METROID: STARDUST
[spoiler][/spoiler]

SUPER METROID: REDESIGN
[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: Stardust Cover Fixed!

Scyzer

pretty cool. I wouldn't mind something like this for Impulsion sooner to release date :P

Quietus

Stardust = "designes"? :heheh:

I like your covers, but I must admit that proper stories from the creators looks a million times better than creation info.

Hiroshi Mishima

Actually, in regard to Ice Metal, that is the "proper story" so I think it looks really sweet.

Digital_Mantra

I love what you do. It's gotta be satisfying to look on your shelf for a SNES game to play and just pull a hack off the shelf. Nice.

Riffman81

Quote from: Quietus on August 22, 2010, 02:06:43 PM
Stardust = "designes"? :heheh:

I like your covers, but I must admit that proper stories from the creators looks a million times better than creation info.

Ok, I'm allowed a typo from time to time :grin: Will fix this right away. Further more, "Stardust" to the best of my knowledge had no story. So, I did the best I could with the description. I asked Tyjet66 about the story. There was no story. However, if he wants something different on the back, I already told him to let me know and I'll put it on the cover for Stardust.

Also, the Ice Metal text came straight from the creator. So please check before you assume I'm making things up and posting whatever I want on the back of these! I can assure you, I'm not. I kept in contact with Crys while putting the cover together, I wasn't just doing it my way! Crys was very much involved.

As for Metroid: Redesign... I put the description from the official site. If a story had been posted, I would have put that on there. Again, I believe there was no story with this project. Quite simply, it was just a great hack.

@Digital_Mantra: Yes, it's quite cool to find ROM hacks in my SNES collection. I have done covers for many other hacks/translations over the years. The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds, Terranigma, Dragon Quest 1 & 2, just to name a few. Thanks for the feedback Dman, always cool to hear from you!

Hiroshi Mishima

Man, if I had the technology to do it, I'd have games like Terranigma and Wonder Project J in my SNES library, too! It's a pity those games never made it to the US, especially Terranigma, I'm sure it would've sold...

Riffman81

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 23, 2010, 12:07:14 AM
Man, if I had the technology to do it, I'd have games like Terranigma and Wonder Project J in my SNES library, too! It's a pity those games never made it to the US, especially Terranigma, I'm sure it would've sold...

Terranigma is a great game! And speaking of Wonder Project J, I just did a cover for that a few weeks back. I have it on cart myself, so decided to show it some love. I used the original Japanese cover art, as I'm a big fan of Japanese art and culture in general.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I also updated the SM: Stardust cover, changing the description, and adding new screen shots. I'll update the download link for the cover pack as well.

Cadarot

This thread reminds me that I have a template that I need to finish for a snes box that you can build from scratch.

also good job

Quietus

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 22, 2010, 06:07:36 PMActually, in regard to Ice Metal, that is the "proper story" so I think it looks really sweet.
I know, and that's why I said I felt it looked much better than the ones containing info about creation.

Quote from: Riffman81 on August 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PMAlso, the Ice Metal text came straight from the creator. So please check before you assume I'm making things up and posting whatever I want on the back of these!
Firstly, I said nothing about making up anything.  I think you got the wrong impression here.  Pretty much answering as above, in that the REAL story from Ice Metal was much better than creation info for the other covers.

Quote from: Riffman81 on August 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PMAs for Metroid: Redesign... I put the description from the official site. If a story had been posted, I would have put that on there. Again, I believe there was no story with this project. Quite simply, it was just a great hack.
I know.  I've seen this many times.  It seems like all of the above has been due to my posts perhaps not being clear enough.  I was saying that it is unfortunate that there are no stories for the other hacks, as they look much better this way than with information about their creation.  If they don't have stories, then there's nothing you can do, but my point still stands.

Riffman81

Quote from: Riffman81 on August 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PMAs for Metroid: Redesign... I put the description from the official site. If a story had been posted, I would have put that on there. Again, I believe there was no story with this project. Quite simply, it was just a great hack.
I know.  I've seen this many times.  It seems like all of the above has been due to my posts perhaps not being clear enough.  I was saying that it is unfortunate that there are no stories for the other hacks, as they look much better this way than with information about their creation.  If they don't have stories, then there's nothing you can do, but my point still stands.
[/quote]

I totally agree. Not only would these hacks have been better with some sort of story behind them, it would make the info in the back of my covers look much better and more authentic looking. But, I'd rather have some sort of text there, then just leaving it blank.  :^_^:

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on August 22, 2010, 11:13:17 AM
pretty cool. I wouldn't mind something like this for Impulsion sooner to release date :P

PM me your ideas sometime, and I'll see what I can come up with. :grin:

Lunaria

I might as well mention it to the public that I really liked the covers Riffman did for me. =)

Riffman81

Quote from: Crys on August 24, 2010, 03:56:48 PM
I might as well mention it to the public that I really liked the covers Riffman did for me. =)

:^_^: Thanks Crys

Tyjet66

Agreed! (Well, for my hack of course. =P)

Riffman81

Quote from: Tyjet66 on August 25, 2010, 01:40:18 AM
Agreed! (Well, for my hack of course. =P)

Thanks :^_^: and let me know your ideas for your new hack as well. If your next hack has a story, It'll help a little more with putting the cover together.

So far, I've only done covers for hacks I've put on SNES carts. With the exception of Ice Metal. I haven't had a cart for that built as of yet.... but soon!

So far here's what I have on cart:

Super Metroid: Eris
Super Metroid: Redesign
Super Metroid: Legacy
Super Metroid: Stardust

I've tested Ice Metal on my SNES flash cart and it seems to run fine. I figure Crys might tweak it a bit more, so I'm holding out on making a cart until I see if another release is going to be made. I'm thinking of doing Super Metroid X: 101%, as I've been playing that in between playing Ice Metal. Don't know too much about the hack in terms of it being complete or not... although I assume it is.

Hiroshi Mishima

Nice to know there's another fan of Wonder Project J out there. Enix made a bad call not bringing that out, same with Terranigma. Given that Harvest Moon was also a quirky game, I think WPJ would've gotten some fans, and Terranigma was already in English so what the hey.

I really like how your covers turn out, by the way.