News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Eclipse

Started by ProjectXVIII, June 28, 2010, 06:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectXVIII

This is a fullhack that I'm currently working on. It might be released this year, not sure.

Screenshots:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Video of physics:
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goNISw81_VI[/spoiler]

gunnargumpert

i'll not say much, but this:  AWSOME!

keep going

X-tradyte

Gunnar, THIS IS MORE THAN AWESOME  :heheh: Alot of people Choose
Fusion doors Now-a Days, I Got Fully Made Fusion Doors  :wink:

Katelyn

This looks pretty good. Not near as good as mine. I'm not a huge fan of fusion doors, but whatever you want, I guess.

I look forward to this hack :awesome:

Quietus

It seems the doors are a subject of divided feelings.  I don't like them much, as they just look stuck there, like they don't really blend with the bubble at all.  I do, however, love the purple / green meld in the first screenshot. :yay:

gunnargumpert

Quote from: Shadox on June 28, 2010, 07:18:49 PM
This looks pretty good. Not near as good as mine. I'm not a huge fan of fusion doors, but whatever you want, I guess.

I look forward to this hack :awesome:

yeah, i also dislike fusion doors. only the Super Metroid stile is the real style.

if you want to use them, you should speed up the door open animation. (it should be as fast as in metroid fusion, ore it doesn't fit together.) i just know, how to change the speed of the PLM doors. but if you want it, i can tell you,  how to speed up all doors. (it's actualy pretty simple)

ProjectXVIII

Alright, since many people weren't too fond of the Fusion doors, I decided to change them to the Zero Mission doors, complete with door bubbles and everything. :P

Pic in first post is updated with the new doors.

X-tradyte

Your Doors Look Exact! But, What About your Video, It Still Has Fusion Doors.

squishy_ichigo

I know right? When you updated your gfx for your rom, why didn't the video you made before you updated change automatically?

Quietus

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on June 29, 2010, 01:54:54 PM
I know right? When you updated your gfx for your rom, why didn't the video you made before you updated change automatically?
First genuine LOL for a while.  Thanks, squishy! :grin:

zephyrtronium

Quote from: Project XVIII on June 29, 2010, 01:08:15 PM
Alright, since many people weren't too fond of the Fusion doors, I decided to change them to the Zero Mission doors, complete with door bubbles and everything. :P

Pic in first post is updated with the new doors.
Why? They're practically the same as the SM doors, but with fewer colors.

ProjectXVIII

I felt that the room in the second pic was a bit too "boxy" and cramped, so I edited it a bit. :D

[spoiler][/spoiler]

squishy_ichigo

whats with you and posting pics with the blazing settings on? Its annoying... :/

anyways, room analysis:
I certainly like the room alot better then it was before, but it still isn't as good as it could be, imho.  The CRE tiles used as platforms are dull and boring to look at.  You only have detail stuff coming off the ground, when it would look great with it coming off the ceiling as well.  Also, the ceilings themselves are a bit too flat, especially in the middle of the room.

Otherwise, I think this is great work, man why did I suck so much back when I was making Pantheon? :<

gunnargumpert

Quote from: Project XVIII on June 29, 2010, 05:15:29 PM
I felt that the room in the second pic was a bit too "boxy" and cramped, so I edited it a bit. :D

[spoiler][/spoiler]

the room is very big --> you need more platforms, but:
you shouldn't make a platform in the middle of such a big room - you should set a big celine in the middle of the room ("Split the room")

Remember: Good hackers are trying, not to make more than 8 tiles place for samus, ore the player can't reach things

you shouldn't use the original elevator - use something like this:

[spoiler=Better don't use more room without platforms, Use other elevator tiles][/spoiler]

[spoiler]And no, they are my OWN tiles. I didn't even steel a pice of poop.[/spoiler]

just a tip.

Smiley

Quote from: gunnargumpert on June 30, 2010, 04:36:21 AM
Quote from: Project XVIII on June 29, 2010, 05:15:29 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
the room is very big --> you need more platforms
Oh, no he doesn't. It's fine already.

Quote from: gunnargumpert on June 30, 2010, 04:36:21 AM
Remember: Good hackers are trying, not to make more than 8 tiles place for samus, ore the player can't reach things
Maybe having a little platform at the other side of the room, from which you can get to higher ground, so you can reach that unreachable thing?
Something like that is done in original Super Metroid. It's done in that room too. :yay: It also makes a small puzzle, and as you hopefully know, puzzles are a part of Metroid games.

I think that room is still a bit boxy, but the main layout is quite nice. Adding some more detail and making the room less flat would be good. Taking out those CRE tiles at the bottom-right and using Brinstar tiles would be better, unless that's an entrance to a mechanical area or something.
Also, I like the purple palette for Crateria.
And put the screen brightness at least down to bright, most preferably normal when you're taking screenshots, because blazing hurts my eyes.

X-tradyte

I Think That The Palette Would Finish The Room Of Perfectly, A Touch Of Blue And Red. But That's Only an Opinion.  :^_^:

Lunaria

Trolololol

[spoiler]
Project 13

In retrospect, I should have made the roof less flat too. :<
[/spoiler]

Quietus

Crys, I mean no disrespect, but...

Offering tips or advice is one thing; taking somebody's hack and 'improving' it right under their nose is a bit of a slap in the face. :neutral:

Lunaria

@Quietus: Actually I offered him some advice on IRC, but as I suck at explaining I felt that it would be better to do it visually to get the points across, all the annotations in the video are in fact, meant for project. :P

Quietus

X-tradyte

Nice, The Palette Was Perfect I Like The Orangy Color. It Fits It Perfect Crys, Project, That Should Be Your Palette For The Hack, but Yet Again, Another Opinion.