News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Zero Mission - The Juice Effect

Started by Juice, May 18, 2010, 01:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juice

Cool a new Zero Mission Hack. What kinda hack is it?
[spoiler]This hack is about 42% done. I wanted to make a full hack. But a lot of rooms are untouched. My progress thus far:
Bringstar:  67%
Kraid:      95%
Norfair:    53% 
Ridley:     0%
Tourian:    0%
Crateria:   0%
[/spoiler]

What is the difficulty of this hack?
[spoiler]Challenging, very challenging. My aim was to create a difficult hack and I got that part down. So if you are new to zero mission, then you came to the wrong neighborhood. Sometimes you need to fight your way through lava, killing enemies for health. Sometimes you need to maneuver through Space Pirates. Did I forgot to mention that Space Pirates can only be killed by the usage of bombs?[/spoiler]

Which techniques are mandatory?
[spoiler]Single wall jumping, shine sparking, climbing with the use of ice beam.[/spoiler]

Hmmm I am not convinced yet, show me some of your work.
[spoiler]My first Space Pirate encounter.
[spoiler]
Damn I really want some missiles.[/spoiler]

My Second Space Pirate Encounter.
[spoiler]
Another one of those pesky Space Pirates. What am i glad that he didn't see me.[/spoiler]

Some Ice Beam excercizes.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

First boss battle.
[spoiler]
Seems pretty hard for a first battle. Thank god Zeb always drop health.[/spoiler]

A couple of video's:
[spoiler]Speed Booster[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Venture Through Kraid[/spoiler]
[spoiler]A Room In The Middle Of Norfair[/spoiler]

Since the minimap doesn't work, here are the maps of Bringstar, Norfair and kraid:
Bringstar:
[spoiler]
Grey areas are not accessible.[/spoiler]
Norfair:[spoiler]
Grey areas are not accessible.[/spoiler]
Kraid: [spoiler][/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

personitis

That Shinespark is redesign like. o.o Very nice however. Glad to see a little more attention toward MZM.

Zhs2

Don't get confused now. MZM was the one that inspired Redesign's shinespark <.<

zephyrtronium

Juice Metroid was fun. I am glad to see it being resurrected. The shinespark was hell, though. I am not sure if I am glad to see it being resurrected.

Juice

There is actually a part that's way harder to beat than the shine spark. And I'm not talking about the evil jumps to the morphball. I'm talking about the spacepirates who can't be killed by samus. I'll keep it in the dark ... for now. Hmmm I'm gonna add Juice metroid to this topic.

Edit: Juice metroid has been added, it's in th first post.

personitis

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 18, 2010, 05:01:33 PM
Don't get confused now. MZM was the one that inspired Redesign's shinespark <.<
Unless Drew says so himself, I'll have to say Fusion inspired it since it was not only released before MZM but also had that technique.

On topic: is Juice a MZM hack?

Malpercio

Juice as in the one mentioned in the topic is.
as for the .ips in the first post, i think that's for M1

zephyrtronium

Juice

Maybe there is an other hack called Juice Metroid. But Juice Metroid in this topic and the IPS patch are both MZM hacks.

Juice metroid is a mini hack made in 2007.

Malpercio

Juice

My last update is more than a year old :o. I haven't done much in this year. And at this rate I doubt that I'll finish this hack in 2011. See the first post to see new videos from my hack. I hope you'll enjoy them.

Juice

It has been three years and I still haven't made any progress xD. I stopped working on my project since 2011. I lacked motivation and inspiration, and for some unknown reason a room glitches when I saved another room (newest version of DH solved that problem thou). I haven't touched the game since then. Well I did play it yesterday and as of today you can enjoy playing through my half done hack. I got every available item within 90 mins ^^.

I forfeit this hack as of today (actually as of 3 years ago :P). The IPS patch can be found in my first post.

Metaquarius

Waaaaaaaay too hard for my liking, I've just got Charge Beam and so far I have been abusing savestates like mad. Wall climb, precise jumps, forced damage... At this rate, I'm pretty sure IBJ is mandatory.

Juice

Wow all the way up to charge beam, that is pretty far. Even with save states. It was supposed to be hard.
[spoiler]But it was too challenging and some errors has great consequences, i am looking at you Rio room.[/spoiler]

Thanks for your input ^^

Edit: I thought you meant long beam. I'll refresh my first post.

Metaquarius

Ok I beat Kraid and I'm currently in Norfair. I had to look in DH several times to progress because I had no clue where to go after Speedbooster. Most speed blocks in Kraid's area are just hidden, which is really annoying.
By the way, where is the long beam ?

Juice

Yeah you are right. Since i already knew where to go next, I kinda neglected hinting samus in some parts. So you know, you are almost done ;).

Location of longbeam:
[spoiler]Longbeam can be found when you just have arrived in norfair. My plan was to obtain longbeam just like screw attack. But I never got that far xD. So now you need to use shine spark to get long beam. No missiles![/spoiler]

Metaquarius

I've got Long Beam and eventually found Supers in Kraid. There's one green door back in Norfair, but I'm stuck right after it cuz I need Wave Beam. Is it the end ?

Juice

Yeah you are as good as done.

The Super missile door is meant to be a quick way into Rildley.
And I have not yet made a normal way to Ridley.

So what are your thought of my hack thus far?

Metaquarius

Quote from: Juice on September 28, 2014, 09:37:10 AM
So what are your thought of my hack thus far?
I was impressed by the map layout, route and puzzles, there are some very clever elements. Extremely challenging hack too, navigation is really difficult (until ice). I had to abuse savestates to cross certain places because I can't walljump consistently and some rooms are really unforgiving. Worst part for me was Space Pirates encounters (didn't have a single e-tank for quite some time, so insta-death) Kraid battle was insane just like first boss, on the other hand, worm boss was interesting. Due to the lack of bombs, speed blocks are virtually impossible to find, which is not cool. The in-game map is completely fucked up which is a shame too. Also, no game breaking bugs.
Verdict : this hack can be really frustating at times but a quite fresh experience.
Will you get back into MZM hacking someday?  :^_^:

Juice

Thanks for your feedback ^^.

Chances are high that I will resume hacking. If I would proceed, I would start by adjusting my current hack, included with many things you mentioned, f.e. making the first energy tank more vissible and trying to minimize 1 frame jumps. Nobody likes it if its too hard for no reason.

Metaquarius

Thank you for sharing your hack. I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do next. ;)

Jiffy

I like this hack. It's my favourite existing MZM hack. :) Just 2 things.

1. The map. You can't seem to edit it. How come? If you continue not being able to edit it, I can do it for you. It isn't really that hard.
2. I would love to see some change of map layout. So far it looks to me like you've just moved some doors, not linking them to different places.

Juice

Quote1. The map. You can't seem to edit it. How come? If you continue not being able to edit it, I can do it for you. It isn't really that hard.
I started creating this hack back in 2010. If memory serves well, when i changed the X,Y coordinate of a room, it became unstable. So i decided to neglect the minimap. But the current Double Helix has no problem creating minimap, at least none i know of.

Quote2. I would love to see some change of map layout. So far it looks to me like you've just moved some doors, not linking them to different places.
When I started with this hack, I had no experience with doors. I created a new hack to learn using doors. I started simple by changing its Y position. But instead of starting a new hack, I used the same hack for this hack. This is why the beginning of my hack seems a lot like the old mzm with a few changes.

Have you seen Kraid? I tried to make a whole new experience for the player. I did not alter room sizes, but doors are, if need be, in a different rooms.

TheDruggedMetroid

Holy shit that looks intense!
Also Can you Put Some Infinite Bomb jump parts?
It's my stronghold and i'm terrible at everything else...

Juice

Thanks  :grin:.  But I saldy have to day that due to lack of motivation I stopped working on the hack.  I do admit,  I had a funny smile when reading this tread. Gonna play it this evening.