News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room Of The Week size poll

Started by FullOfFail, May 31, 2010, 01:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the room of the Week be size regulated?

Yes
1 (5.3%)
No
13 (68.4%)
me doesnt care
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

FullOfFail

Alright, awhile back someone mentioned that it's unfair to have rooms of different sizes be compared to each other. At first I said it's all based on a room's value and brushed it off (which definitely still stands true), but considering the different combinations you can do with a larger room I'm wondering if we should maybe alternate through sizes for each week. To keep the playing field as balanced as possible. What I was thinking is maybe have one week be scrolls 1-4, and the next week be 6 and up. Do you all think that's over-complicating things a bit? Please share your thoughts.

(Btw I havent talked to Squishy about this yet, so no matter what this poll turns out like the fate will remain in his hands)

personitis

I voted no. Part of the challenge is being able to work with the space you have and making it look as nice as possible while still being in those limits.

MetroidMst

It is nice in idea, but completely unneeded. If a small room looks great and the big ones don't, the small room will get voted higher. If they are about the same it coes down to personal taste, which it would if it was two big rooms or small rooms against each other. So really, there isn't a point to it because it all comes down to preference anyway.

FullOfFail

Well, the people have spoken and it's quite clear what the message was. I'll delete this topic tomorrow, if anybody has anything else to add speak now or forever hold your peace.

personitis

No no, no deleting topics. As member lose post count for that. Instead, lock it. =)

FullOfFail

haha, I laughed so hard at that person. I'll just leave it be then, it'll die of natural causes. I hate seeing threads I want to comment on and they'd be locked.

SM_Fan122

'Room size doesn't matter its how you use the tiles...' :lol:
(sorry couldn't help myself from the corny Male "package" joke..)

on the serious side, I think it would be more interesting to have themed contests to make the entries at a equal playing field, and also to make voting more meaningful. Entries now are so random from each other, that voting to me is kind of boring. If we had themed contest every once in a while, voting can go beyond just "tile placement" or "nice custom tiles", you vote on how well the room captures the theme, etc. Themes could include but are not limited to:

"No custom tiles"
"Only custom Tiles"
"Elemental Rooms (ex: Light, Dark, Fire, Earth, Ice, etc.)"
"Environmental Rooms (ex: Desert, Forest, Mountains, Swamp/Marsh, etc.)"
"Room Size (ex 1x1, 2x1, 4x4, etc...)"

The possibilities are endless..., but with themed contests, the contest has more function to it...

FullOfFail

Although I like your idea about themed rooms, it'd dramatically cut back the amount of rooms people enter. However, I do think it's getting about time of another contest of some sort. Just like the Christmas Hack contest was, a few rooms and completable.

personitis

I don't like the idea of themed submissions. It could force someone to go off the beaten path of their hack and have them make a completely new room 'cause the theme may not fit their hack. However, the themed hacks such as Christmas and maybe Halloween (who else is with me?) are great ideas because they don't need to be that big. Room sizes aren't a bad idea because each hack features a variety of room sizes

Still though, I dislike the idea of limiting RotW.