News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Opinions wanted

Started by Smiley, May 09, 2010, 10:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can't latch to suck-able things or carry them?

Can't latch
0 (0%)
Carry
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 16, 2010, 10:40:33 AM

Smiley

:metroid:

So, yeah, i'm creating a fangame where you play as a Metroid.
Now that i've created most of the engine, i have to decide between two things:
make it so that there's something wrong with the Metroids teeth, thus it can't latch onto enemies, making the game harder since you have to continously chase the Zoomers, Wavers and such while avoiding icy enemies,
or,
make it so that the Metroid carries them, thus making the game a bit easier (and make the Metroid more... Metroid-ish), and so having to add more icy enemies to bring the challenge back.

I tried to make it so that my Metroid actually latches onto what it can eat, but it always ended up getting stuck in walls.

The decision is much harder than i thought, so i want your opinions to help.
Thanks in advance. :yay:

E: Latching to enemies perfectly like a Metroid resulted in some bugs; some minor ones, and two major bugs too: the metroid teleports under certain conditions, and one of them if there's more than one of whatever the metroid is sucking. It also gets stuck in walls :T_T:

E2: Nevermind, found a better and easier way :^_^:

zephyrtronium

OMG PLAY AS A METROID!

Anywho, when I made Metroid: Metroid, I had the player latch onto enemies and be carried by them. That's what happens in every Metroid game, most noticeably when the Shitroid is introduced with the big Desgeega thing.

By the way, if you're getting stuck in walls when latched on, scale up the enemy's hitbox to include the player. There should be a flag anyways to have it slow down while being eaten.

personitis

IIRC, there was a dark metroid in Prime 2 which carried a pirate in circles around a room. So thus I voted carry.

Zhs2

Quote from: person701
IIRC, there was a dark metroid in Prime 2 which carried a pirate in circles around a room. So thus I voted carry.
Strangely enough, I saw this for myself just earlier today. I thought it was kinda funny.

Basically, what uNsane said.