News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Editroid Bugs

Started by snarfblam, November 07, 2009, 01:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalmight

I am rearranging the Metroid mOTHER hack, and after a while Kraid stopped appearing when I play test through the game.  It seems to happen when I make a change to Kraid's boss room but not always.  I've seen that I can't disable or replace any screens in the game without it happening too.  Snarfblam hasn't posted in a year so I'm a little worried.  I don't know what to do.  I can post additional information if necessary.  I would be grateful to anyone who could help me out.  By the way I am new here, nice to meet you all and may you experience all the best in life.

Quietus

Quote from: metalmight on August 10, 2015, 06:54:19 PMBy the way I am new here, nice to meet you all and may you experience all the best in life.
Thank you, and welcome. :^_^:

Quote from: metalmight on August 10, 2015, 06:54:19 PMSnarfblam hasn't posted in a year so I'm a little worried.
Not in this thread, but active on the forum in general. Provide as much info as you can, and I'm sure snarfblam will reply in good time.

metalmight

Quote from: Quietus on August 10, 2015, 09:06:26 PM
Thank you, and welcome. :^_^:
Thank you.  :^_^:

Not in this thread, but active on the forum in general.
Awesome!

Provide as much info as you can, and I'm sure snarfblam will reply in good time.
I will post a patch and screenshots; it may be a day or two because I don't have home internet.

Grimlock

Quote from: metalmight on August 10, 2015, 06:54:19 PM
I am rearranging the Metroid mOTHER hack, and after a while Kraid stopped appearing when I play test through the game.

Well, there are a few potential issues that you may be running into:

1. You have an enemy with the same sprite slot as Kraid in a neighboring screen.  The sprite slot is used as long as the enemy is active, when the screen scrolls to Kraids room he doesn't load because the slot is already occupied.  Remove the enemy or change it's sprite slot (Note: Kraid and Ridley should both be set to slot "{} 0".

2. You are trying to use the test room feature in Editroid (CTRL+CLICK screen) to test your boss room with the boss.  If I remember correctly the bosses won't load properly with a test room unless you start in an adjacent area and use an elevator to enter the area and proceed to the boss room.  You can easily test your boss room by placing the room (temporarily) right next to the bottom of an elevator.  Just start your test room at the top of the elevator and proceed to the boss room when you reach the bottom.

Note: Non-boss Kraid and Ridleys will show up fine in a test room, once you toggle them to a boss "Toggle Level Boss" they will no longer load in a test room.

3. There may be some issues since ASM was added to the ROM before you began editing.  (That's beyond my expertise)

4.  You may have to click the option "Generate Password Tracking Data".  I'm not entirely sure if this would affect it or not but it's worth trying.

Let me know if that helps.

metalmight

Quote from: Grimlock on August 12, 2015, 07:29:33 PM
Well, there are a few potential issues that you may be running into:

1. You have an enemy with the same sprite slot as Kraid in a neighboring screen.

Thanks for the response Grimlock!  That may be something to consider.  I have been skipping fake Kraid in the last 2 playthroughs that I've done and that seems to work to allow real Kraid to appear.  I will check its sprite slot as well as enemies in neighboring rooms and see what I come up with.  Thanks again!

snarfblam

Make sure your fake Kraid isn't marked as a boss.

This button marks the level boss. As far as I'm aware, any enemy can be marked as the level boss. Once a boss has been beaten, no other enemies marked as a boss will appear in the level.

metalmight

Quote from: snarfblam on August 13, 2015, 06:11:16 PM
Make sure your fake Kraid isn't marked as a boss.
Thanks for the response snarfblam!  My fake Kraid is not marked as a boss.  I changed its sprite slot from 0 to 1 and the result was that fake Kraid did not appear.  Then I changed the sprite slot from 1 to 2 and the result was the projectiles becoming glitchy.  I will keep you posted and thanks again!

jewelediris

Is there a way to edit Samus palette?

Flower

Quote from: jewelediris on June 20, 2017, 02:16:36 AM
There is!
You have to look into the advanced palette editor (F6) to access the palette. The values are not so obvious, but you could experiment with that and see for yourself. I could offer better help but right now i have no access to a Windows machine, just mobile. Let me know if you need more help!

Flower

I have an urging problem!
After samus dies, or you reset via start, up+a on the second controller, there are certain issues.
The sidehoppers jump higher.
Samus' palette changes.
And the biggest problem: the max. amount of missiles and etanks change. (mostly less missiles and more etanks. - the missing missiles are not in the game any more so that's no "generate password tracking data" problem.)

I really don't know what's going wrong! And foremost i don't know what to do. Maybe when resetting there is some bit set wrong or stuff like that.

Help please!
@snarfblam do you have tackled this issue yet?
@Grimlock did you have this problem with Rogue Dawn and could you solve it?

snarfblam

Quote from: Flower on June 28, 2017, 02:58:31 PM
The sidehoppers jump higher.

This is a bug that relates to the game's "RNG". The exact behavior depends on the emulator/version used (uninitialized RAM comes into play). Side-hopper jumps are supposed to be a random mix between high and low jumps, but the game uses a broken random number generator that produces one-or-the-other behavior. I can give you a fix for the RNG that will restore the intended random behavior of a number of enemies, or a fix that will simply give the side-hoppers consistent behavior. Shoot me a PM; let me know exactly what you want and I can give you an asm fix.

Quote from: Flower on June 28, 2017, 02:58:31 PMSamus' palette changes.

There are a lot of palettes that come into play with Samus, and if they aren't all set correctly, you might see some strange things. Here's the full list of relevant palettes which you can edit via the advanced palette editor. Not that some entries only change two of Samus' colors.
0 - Base palette, overlaps with Samus palette
1 - Samus normal
2 - Samus varia
3 - Samus (missile equipped)
4 - Samus varia (missile equipped)
19 - Samus - fade in 0
20 - Samus - fade in 1
21 - Samus - fade in 2
22 - Samus - fade in 3
24 - Justin Bailey Samus normal
25 - Justin Bailey Samus varia
26 - Justin Bailey Samus (missile equipped)
27 - Justin Bailey Samus varia (missile equipped)

Quote from: Flower on June 28, 2017, 02:58:31 PMAnd the biggest problem: the max. amount of missiles and etanks change. (mostly less missiles and more etanks. - the missing missiles are not in the game any more so that's no "generate password tracking data" problem.)

When you die, the game calculates a password. When you continue, the game acts as if you entered that calculated password. Missile capacity and etanks are based on that password, which is calculated using the password tracking data. Based on the information available, that's the only useful information I can offer.

Flower

I thank you a lot for your first aid on the fly.
Next should be a pm about details, plus i will send you the most recent project file.

Quote from: jewelediris on June 20, 2017, 02:16:36 AM
Hey dude above you see the exact values you have to edit in the advanced palette editor for recoloring Samus!