News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hot Takes Discussion

Started by KirbEastEnd, August 05, 2024, 12:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirbEastEnd

Do you have a few hot takes you wanna talk about? Share your Metroid and other gaming (maybe even outside of gaming) hot takes here! Mine: fusion is the worst game. fight me.

FelixWright

i hate threads like these tbqhwy. just more ammo to not like each other. that's my hot take

Digital_Mantra

i hate acronyms longer than 3 letters.

starlightintheriver

My hot take is that hot takes about video games don't exist. What's that? Other M is your favorite? Cool I guess.

alexman25

I think y'all are being a bit harsh on this guy. Way I see it, they're just looking to hear the opinions of people who deviate from the norm and decided to take a humorous tone about it.

As for my own hot take; I find NEStroid to genuinely be on-par with the other 2D Metroids !

OmegaDragnet9

Reserve Tanks are wonderful and I am tired of pretending that they are not.

RT-55J

videogames is one word

same with speedrun

"search action" and "dungeon scroller" are better genre names than "metroidvania"

Speedy Eggbert is sovereign ruler of the Earth, and you must serve him or perish.

alexman25

Quote from: RT-55J on August 05, 2024, 06:20:27 PM
videogames is one word

same with speedrun

"search action" and "dungeon scroller" are better genre names than "metroidvania"

Speedy Eggbert is sovereign ruler of the Earth, and you must serve him or perish.
I can agree on all of this except for the first one

MetroidNerd#9001

Quote from: alexman25 on August 05, 2024, 06:30:25 PM
videogames is one word

same with speedrun

I can agree on all of this except for the first one
Nah, let's all sound super pretentiously old-fashioned and called them "videographical games"

RT-55J

When I want to sound pretentious I call videogames "ludographic artifacts", gaming "ludographical exploration", and gamers "redditors (derogatory)."

(When I want to sound like I'm offering simple homespun wisdom, I call games "vidcons.")

OmegaDragnet9

videogames is one word

same with speedrun

Megaman or Mega Man? Trick question...

RT-55J

I have moderately strong preferences towards Rockman and Mega Man, but I've been known to use whatever flows off the tongue better in a given situation (e.g. "Megaman" works better when it's referring to a sub-series, such as Megaman X or Megaman Battle Network).

What really rankles my feathers is when the localization folks at Capcom call him "Mega" instead of "Rock" (they did this twice!!)

Also, if I refer to the SNES version of "Rockman and Forte" as "Megaman and Bass"  make sure you aren't dealing with an evil clone of me.

starlightintheriver

Quote from: alexman25 on August 05, 2024, 02:04:31 PM
I think y'all are being a bit harsh on this guy. Way I see it, they're just looking to hear the opinions of people who deviate from the norm and decided to take a humorous tone about it.

As for my own hot take; I find NEStroid to genuinely be on-par with the other 2D Metroids !

Haha, maybe you're right. I suppose going into this I was sort of worried an actual fight would start. That said, I do still stand by what i said, that in my mind it's really hard to come up with something truly controversial about a video game. If it is controversial, chances are it touches on something bigger than the game itself, if that makes sense.

If we're sharing not-so-actually-controversial opinions, then I suppose my biggest thing is that IMO High Jump is fundamentally flawed as an upgrade, especially its implementation in Super Metroid. So far as I can tell, in SM it increases Samus's initial jumping speed, which makes platforming in tight spaces like the Samus Eater room leading up to the first PBs more difficult. The implementations in other games (Like ZM, MF, and I think SR) are way better because they seem to decrease acceleration due to gravity instead of initial jump speed, which heavily mitigates this problem. Even then, there's always been something about it that feels off, if that makes sense.

RT-55J

Metroid: Zero Mission is a Bad Remake of Metroid 1, but Metroid: Super Zero Mission is a Good Remake of Metroid: Zero Mission. What this means is [ RUNTIME ERROR - SEGMENTATION FAULT! ABORT! ABORT! ]

alexman25

Quote from: RT-55J on August 06, 2024, 03:21:44 AM
Metroid: Zero Mission is a Bad Remake of Metroid 1, but Metroid: Super Zero Mission is a Good Remake of Metroid: Zero Mission. What this means is [ RUNTIME ERROR - SEGMENTATION FAULT! ABORT! ABORT! ]
NEStroid hack to re-NEStroidify Super Zero Mission

RT-55J

Super Xerox Mission, you say? :activated:

SpineShark

Sneezetendo should have made an original game instead of Zero Mission, since Super is a soft remake of ZM anyway.

RT-55J

They did make an original game instead of Zero Mission. It's called Metroid Fusion.

Regardless, I still think you have a good point. There several legacy franchises that should have gotten original games for the GBA, but just got ports/remakes instead. I would have rather had a mediocre Contra game than whatever in the world that crummy Alien Wars port was. (Granted, this is a rather tepid take.)

My hot take is that a lot of S-class romhackers should just be making homebrew instead at this point.

alexman25

Quote from: RT-55J on August 15, 2024, 08:02:59 PM
They did make an original game instead of Zero Mission. It's called Metroid Fusion.

Regardless, I still think you have a good point. There several legacy franchises that should have gotten original games for the GBA, but just got ports/remakes instead. I would have rather had a mediocre Contra game than whatever in the world that crummy Alien Wars port was. (Granted, this is a rather tepid take.)

My hot take is that a lot of S-class romhackers should just be making homebrew instead at this point.

Honestly, I think ZM's approach is fundamentally different enough from SM's that it's well-worth existing alongside it. Plus, it also wasn't just meant to be a remake, but also a soft reboot for the franchise, and Metroid 1 is probably the best place to jump off for all for all of the lore and story changes it wanted to make

SpineShark

I meant to say an original Metroid game, as in Fusion 2 or whatever. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, my gripe with ZM is how Chozodia is just tacked on at the end. The stealth section is interesting, but not exactly peak Metroid gameplay. And what do you get after that? Plasma, Gravity, Space and Power Bombs, when the game is basically over and you don't even need them anymore. And of course they put some expansions behind PB blocks so you have to go on a huge backtrack for 100%, but nobody complains. However when Fusion locks expansions behind Screw Attack, everyone dumps on it.
I wish they'd taken more creative liberty and put all the new stuff before Mother Brain.

Btw the EMMIs are cheap store brand SA-X knockoffs.

RT-55J

EMMI zones are just Pac-Man mazes with schmovement.

KirbEastEnd

Quote from: FelixWright on August 05, 2024, 12:54:08 PM
i hate threads like these tbqhwy. just more ammo to not like each other. that's my hot take
Undestandable.

RT-55J

Hating hot takes is such a cold take.

alexman25

I think that three missiles is the optimal number required for a missile door. One is too few (it makes using supers on missile doors pointless), five is too many (like seriously), two and four feel a bit arbitrary for some reason. But, I'd be more inclined to be okay with four.

In tandem with this change, six missiles per tank instead of five is preferable (so you can open two extra doors per tank), and three in hard mode

RT-55J

you speak the truth, alexman