News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Fusion Boss Rush

Started by SpineShark, March 18, 2024, 10:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpineShark

Fight Metroid Fusion's bosses in a race against the clock.
Choose your own difficulty via optional item pickups.

Version 2 was built from scratch, using vanilla Fusion as a base.
The boss rooms were left unchanged, so the fights should be identical to vanilla.
Further changes from version 1 include:
    -improved title screen
    -one second of in-game time is now 60 frames instead of 64
    -post credits screen shows in-game time with seconds
    -gadora has a proper door now
    -removed a potential BOX skip with shinespark
    -some smaller changes here and there

Version 2.1:
    -small graphical touch-ups
    -no gameplay changes

Credits:
biospark - MAGE & end screen seconds
Conner - "Conner MAGE"
Cpt.Glitch - Item Orbs ASM
Sapphron - Event Sprites ASM
biospark, somerando, interdpth - helping me with ASM
Metconst/MAGconst - hextweaks and general help

Version 1 post:
[spoiler]
Fight Metroid Fusion's bosses in a race against the clock.
Choose your own difficulty via optional item pickups.
There are some minor cosmetic issues, but it's 100% playable.

Update 1.1 (01.04.2024):
- Removed faster door transitions to preclude a softlock.
- Can't walk through Gadora-X anymore.
- Target marker points to correct location.

Credits:
biospark - MAGE
Conner - "Conner MAGE"
Kazuto - Sequence Breaking Fusion
Cpt.Glitch - Item Orbs ASM
Sapphron - Event Sprites ASM
Jumzhu - Faster Door Transitions Patch
Metconst/MAGconst - hextweaks and general help
[/spoiler]

Reseren

A nice idea for a hack but could use some bug fixes. Here's some things that are not correct with the hack:

1. Faster door transitions sometimes make the door oscillate endlessly (always happens if you don't jump through Ridley door - not sure how this wasn't caught).

2. Eye door at the beginning is just like oil spill where you can walk through it.

3. Wave beam doesn't have the correct vanilla hitbox. This can be seen when you fight sax, as it doesn't take proper damage when frozen.

4. Something might also be wrong with other beam damage or boss health, since Nightmare changes phases differently than vanilla even when the fight is identical.

5. Credits are bugged and the game freezes right before end time.

I also think some of the boss rooms are too different (XBOX being the main one) that make the fights awkward.

SpineShark

Hi, thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

1. That's my bad. Faster transitions were added last minute and I didn't test every door. I'm not sure what causes the oscillation, I might just remove it entirely.

2. Huh, I never thought to try that. I could put missile blocks under it or just remove it. The gadora-x RNG is kinda annoying anyway.  :<_<:

3. I was unaware of that because I never use the freeze strategy against sax (skill issue). I'll have to investigate.

4. I just checked in the editor, bosses seem unchanged but weapon damage values are all over the place. It looks like sequence breaking fusion did this, but I don't think that was ever mentioned anywhere? I'll investigate that.

5. I can't reproduce this issue. What emu do you use? I use an ancient version of VBA-M, which probably isn't a good idea, but I never had issues with it, so I kept using it.

As for the boss rooms, I took some creative liberties but I think I'll change the layout to be more faithful to vanilla.

Reseren

I get the credits glitch on Bizhawk 2.3.0. I've had the same problems when playing Oil Spill which I think uses the same patch? Might just be a bad compatibility with my version.

SpineShark

I just tried the most recent bizhawk version (2.9.1) and the credits run fine for me.

Update 1.1
- Removed faster door transitions to preclude a softlock.
- Can't walk through Gadora-X anymore.
- Target marker points to correct location.

SpineShark

Hello,
I realized that I don't need sequence breaking fusion to make this work, so I made a version 2 from scratch on top of vanilla fusion.
I left the boss rooms unchanged so the fights should be identical to the originals.
The download is in the top post.

shmayd

played through this hack and its quite neat, good concept i think could be executed a little better. i think a bit less platforming for some of the items and some of them being a direct pickup you need to intentionally avoid would be a good idea. could be like 6 of the missile tanks and 2 of the etanks are directly in the way, some of the major upgrades a bit awkward to pickup too, powerbombs for e.g arent immediately obvious and can be missed quite easily

SpineShark

Hi, the intention with the pickups being out of the way was to make a kind of risk vs reward system, where you can grab the pickups to make the fights easier but you lose a few seconds on the timer. I didn't want to make power bombs mandatory because they're not strictly necessary to beat the bosses, same with the missile upgrades.
Looking at the various feedback I realize that there are different opinions about what a boss rush should look like and my hack might not have satisfied any of them.

That said, I'm not working on this hack any more, because I started a new exploration-based hack.

Dinar87