News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The Metroid Construction Star Base Contest!

Started by MetroidMst, May 01, 2024, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewhi100

You're right. I'm sorry that our oversights stopped you from enjoying the hack. We make these for the community to enjoy, so it hurts to hear we missed the mark. I'll make sure future versions don't have this defect. Thanks for letting everyone know.

Metaquarius

SUPER METROID ELEVEN
Goal : Steal 14 fuel tanks and flee!
Difficulty : Veteran (use of Project Base advanced tech. REQUIRED)
Disclaimer : No crumble blocks were harmed during the making of this hack.
Credits : SMILE 2.5 (kudos to Jathys), Project Base 0.8.1 (kudos to PB team)
Playtested in ZSNES only, bugs and slowdowns may occur using inferior emulators

EDIT : attachment removed, hack posted on the main site
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?hack_id=783

Exister

ACHELOUS
This is a hack made for the starbase contest in a month. It's hard, expect to die at least once and caution is reccomended.
KNOWN GLITCH: After beating kraid, the map progress is wiped. Not sure why this happens but this is a side-effect of a band aid solution to kraid not showing up at all in older versions, so it's a pick your poison with a clear choice. Sorry for any inconvience this causes. There's also a strange graphical glitch when exiting kraid's room, but this only lasts for a moment and has no effects.
Enjoy!
[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Tomtroid

Quote from: Metaquarius on June 30, 2024, 02:17:35 PM
SUPER METROID ELEVEN
Goal : Steal 14 fuel tanks and flee!
Difficulty : Veteran (use of Project Base advanced tech. REQUIRED)
Disclaimer : No crumble blocks were harmed during the making of this hack.
Credits : SMILE 2.5 (kudos to Jathys), Project Base 0.8.1 (kudos to PB team)
Playtested in ZSNES only, bugs and slowdowns may occur using inferior emulators

I'm a bit disappointed that it's not Super Metroid Sixty Nine, or even Y-Faster 3. LOL

Metaquarius

Quote from: Tomtroid on June 30, 2024, 04:18:48 PM
I'm a bit disappointed that it's not Super Metroid Sixty Nine, or even Y-Faster 3. LOL
Y-Faster series is over so don't expect any more installment ^^

alexman25

My last-minute entry to the Star Base contest after my previous attempts went down in flames. Made it in about five hours total! It's short and probably not very good. I don't expect to do very well, but hey, I had fun! NEStroid hack

Presenting...

Metroid: Nuts Station

Samus is trapped on the asteroid-mining space station known as Nuts Station. She must escape before she, herself, goes nuts, just as the inhabitants have before her...

Tomtroid

Quote from: alexman25 on June 30, 2024, 06:38:55 PM
My last-minute entry to the Star Base contest after my previous attempts went down in flames. Made it in about twelve hours total! It's short and probably not very good. I don't expect to do very well, but hey, I had fun!

Presenting...

Samus is trapped on the asteroid-mining space station known as Nuts Station. She must escape before she, herself, goes nuts, just as the inhabitants have before her...

No pics, no clicks.

OmegaDragnet9

The Cereth Invasion

[spoiler=Images]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Story]
Set after the events of Metroid Dread. Many years after her campaigns on Zebeth, Samus is assisting scientists on the Ceres B when Chairman Keaton informs her of a distress call from the Cereth Station.

When she arrives, the Adam AI on her ship is strangely silent, likely from the chewed wires from the Little Birdie specimen she found on Ceres B.

All is not well on Cereth, as it is infiltrated by surviving Zebesian forces and infested by the specimens that have gotten loose.

Try to clear the infestation without blowing stuff up this time.
[/spoiler]

Gameplay

Physics are overhauled, generated by a combination of site resources as well as custom tweaks. Special thanks to the Subversion Repo as well as the Project Base Engine and the Axeil Edition code.

Gameplay is a little on the easy side. A fair bit of sequence breaking is factored in.

There are multiple endings, depending on decisions you make in the late game.

The two files are alternate Title Screen backgrounds.

Regretably this is really a Beta as I am the only playtester given the deadline and my schedule.

Themes

07-07-2024

I realized watching RT-55J and MST's playthroughs, I neglected to specify themes. I was going for:

Escape
Infestation
Overgrowth

Thanks to everybody that played my hack and provided valuable feedback. Hopefully when I get some time I can get to fixing some of the design errors I made along the way.

I've really enjoyed all the hacks I've played so far.

neen

Ceres Is a Beautiful Place And I am No Longer Afraid To Be In Space

(yes it's beatable)
music port/arrangement by H A M

alexman25

Quote from: Tomtroid on June 30, 2024, 07:24:34 PM
Quote from: alexman25 on June 30, 2024, 06:38:55 PM
My last-minute entry to the Star Base contest after my previous attempts went down in flames. Made it in about twelve hours total! It's short and probably not very good. I don't expect to do very well, but hey, I had fun!

Presenting...

No pics, no clicks.
cool

Roebloz

Yeah I'm almost late as fuck, but hey, once you play this you'll understand. (Took a lot of effort)
SO!

GRAVITY - Sylux's Crusade

Game: Metroid Zero Mission (U).gba
Goal : Beat Nightmare
Difficulty : Medium (Heavily depends on the path you take)
Disclaimer : I've had very little time to playtest this in full, so there might be bugs. There also may or may not be an extra useless E-tank. Music is also quite quiet and muffled, I just want to be upfront about it. Also, BPS format because the music took a lot of space.
Credits : yohann for the tremendous help in getting the ASM patches working and fixing a few game-breaking bugs (Including two today, no less!), Cpt.Glitch for his various Fusion bosses ASM patches. Many artists and games for the music, all included in the zip file.
Playtested in VBA, but designed for better emulators without slowdowns, (Which will be noticeable in VBA due to the fact I stored multiple rooms together, especially in the Fire area) as well as real hardware.

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9iia8j363oes3ip/GRAVITY+-+v1.00.zip/file
SCREENSHOTS: https://imgur.com/gallery/gravity-screenshots-DfTeoIZ

Story is included in the zip file, along with two fully detailed maps, all of the music credits, and a cool wallpaper. Here, I'll copy and paste the description I'm gonna use for the RHDN and MetroidConstruction submission:

GRAVITY - Sylux's Crusade is Roebloz's third serious Metroid Zero Mission ROM hack and fifth overall, this time acting as a prequel to Metroid Prime 4, starring Sylux going through a
Space Pirate research station fallen under the control of one of the many weapons onboard, an experimental Nightmare model stolen from the Galactic Federation, having gone rogue and now
generating a black hole, which Sylux will attempt to stop from growing any bigger by destroying Nightmare as he runs through the station's corridors, picking up various Chozo artifacts
along the way.

Much like its predecessor, Crocomire's Last Stand, GRAVITY attempts to provide a more open kind of exploration to the player, though it is much more experimental than the former, having
been made for the MetroidConstruction Star Base contest hosted by MetroidMst, which included many restrictions, such as a maximum of 60 rooms overall. (Which Roebloz cleverly gets around by abusing
the clause for elevator rooms being excluded, and by packing as many rooms as possible within one) It is truly open progression this time around however; The hack is playable in almost
any order that the player chooses, as long as their skills are good enough to handle the tougher lower areas. It is rather short in length depending on how you play (At around 2 hours for a 100% playthrough), though of course if you decide to try and go for all of the ending
images, it will last much longer, and thanks to all the different paths you can choose, there is near-endless replay value! Do you go for the strongest upgrades first, or do you stock up
on Energy Tanks right away? The choice is yours!

Rather than the boring Zero Mission bosses, many of Fusion's bosses have been ported in thanks to the excellent work of the MetroidConstruction community. The aforementioned Nightmare
appears as the final boss of course, but many others show up with new looks and improved difficulty, such as Yakuza NEO, F.R.I.D.G.E., Serris and Arachnus's Revenge. The Fusion beams return
from Crocomire's Last Stand, and many new Super Metroid elements are added in as well such as its doors, basic tiles, pickup sprites, some of its sound effects and enemy graphics, which are
blended together with the Fusion elements (Such as ceiling ladders) and the tilesets adapted from Mega Man: The Wily Wars to create as unique of an environment as possible for the
Space Pirate Elemental Research Station. And of course, you can play as Sylux, making use of the previous technology introduced in Croco's Last Stand to replace the player sprite, and
having slightly less graphical glitches related to it, though Sylux does still perform the "Map Downloading Dance".

Custom music has also been applied, consisting of a tracks from other Metroid games, remixes, and non-Metroid games such as Super Mario 64, UNDERTALE, Mega Man and many others.
Due to the short timeframe and ROM size left to import them though, many of them sound pretty muffled and low-quality.
Despite these issues, if you are looking for a relatively short medium-sized Metroid: Zero Mission ROM hack, GRAVITY's got you covered!

RT-55J

T O U R O F I T A L Y

Hello, Yoshio Sakamoto and Kensuke Tanabe. This is my pitch for Metroid 4.5. Please review it carefully.

[spoiler=Note]Due to the contest deadline, this hack is missing a certain degree of non-gameplay polish. A version with redone intro images, a new soundtrack, and a slightly revised ending will be released some time after the contest period.

This hack should be completable by people of all skill levels. However, if you do not feel confident in your skills, I suggest finding as many items as you can before entering the final area.

Thank you for your consideration.[/spoiler]

Please tag me on Discord if you stream this.

Tomtroid

Quote from: Mentlegen on June 29, 2024, 02:49:05 PM
Super Metroid Isolation

In an alternate universe
Samus arrives at a forgotten space station, floating through the depths of space, investigating a garbled electro-magnetic transmission. The signal originated in an area of deep space - such a transmission would take hundreds of years to reach any part of known galactic civilization, indicating an archaic and outdated form of transmission due to the advent of lightspeed communication and travel.

Upon arrival, samus discovers the station has a mind of its own...

W̵͉̤̙͓͚̑h̸̳̥̺̠̹̽͊͛̚͝͝ͅą̴̽͂̌̈́̄̔t̶̥̩̿̆͌͠ ̶̢̬̑̊̀́ḩ̷͖̥̏̆̃͛ą̵͖͉͖͇̠̇̊̂̓̈́̍p̵̧͙͎̻͔̙͝p̵̨̱̍̊̈́͛͘e̴͒̒́̆̄͝ͅn̶̦̞͎̓ĕ̴̝̣̯̈́̏̅͠d̷̡͈̲̖̑̅̆͜ ̸͈̲̙̪͑h̸̞̟́͌̂̀͠ë̴̤͙̭͒̈́̿͜r̵̛͉̗̈́͋͂̍͐e̴̱̬͚͒̽̎?̶̪̼́̚

Hack Created by Dewhi100 and Mentlegen/Radium

v1.01 fixes the menu pause crash bug

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

At least the pause bug's fixed, but I do have another nitpick with the hack. You're able to use Morph Ball and Spring Ball without actually having them in your inventory.

MetroidMst

There was some talk in Discord about deadlines, since Tour of Italy was submitted past midnight in most timezones. (Not the author's timezone though)

I don't see a need to DQ or do anything in this case. This is an online forum with people from all over the world, and that means timezones exist. On the onehand, it can be argued that someone in PST has potentially 8-9 or even more hours over anyone else in Europe or Japan. You all get the same start time but the end time is different? Seems potentially like an advantage. And I don't want to say it isn't an advantage. You can do quite a bit in that time. Having a good experience hacking and making contest hacks myself though, if I was doing that I would be in trouble from a quality control perspective.

So first off, the hack is allowed in. No specific hour was given to submit by, just end of June, and AFAIK everyone did that no matter their timezone. I don't get the feeling anyone was deliberately trying to game the system, and as was mentioned in Discord, my answers about most things in relation to the contest has been "yes."

With that said in the next couple of weeks try to play all 11(!) entries and get ready for the bracket showdown! We'll see how we handle the odd amount of entries later, but you should fully expect the dumbest spectacle possible when this happens. I am going to try to do all brackets live on the MetConst Twitch channel, so look out for that announcement in the future.

dewhi100

Up to 1 extra day in a 60 day contest is 1.6% more time. You'd have to spend 98% of your free time working on this contest before you noticed a difference. I'm not saying people didn't do that, but if they did... seek help.

RT-55J

Quote from: MetroidMst on July 01, 2024, 08:34:29 AMOn the onehand, it can be argued that someone in PST has potentially 8-9 or even more hours over anyone else in Europe or Japan. You all get the same start time but the end time is different?

For the record's sake, I would like to mention that I didn't start working on my project until about a week and a half into May, and that I had no prior experience using SMART (except for making maps of a couple hacks recently).

H A M

(To Roebloz)
Is Yakuza NEO related to Spamton NEO? I leaved Discord because of spambots...

H A M

Quote from: RT-55J on July 01, 2024, 10:17:03 AM
Quote from: MetroidMst on July 01, 2024, 08:34:29 AMOn the onehand, it can be argued that someone in PST has potentially 8-9 or even more hours over anyone else in Europe or Japan. You all get the same start time but the end time is different?

For the record's sake, I would like to mention that I didn't start working on my project until about a week and a half into May, and that I had no prior experience using SMART (except for making maps of a couple hacks recently).
I like how you put SpriteSomething Fusion Samus in there so I can inject any sprite I want! Just like how I put Alice Margatroid from Touhou to Super Junkoid!
Update: i put smw mario in tourofitaly

junkrares

Quote from: RT-55J on July 01, 2024, 01:25:45 AM
T O U R O F I T A L Y

I've only played TOI, Achelous, Eleven, and Super Asteroid so far -- but this has got to be my favorite. The flow was good, the secrets were gratifying, and the puzzles were fun to brute-force my way through. I initially thought Cherry was very unfair, but still got both the gates regardless. Then I got the suit and was like "Oh, I'm the idiot who had to make everything hard for myself." I am not sure I got everything, but I took the map as far as I could. 85.1% was my final total.

I also had an excellent time fighting the pope, and the escape was stressful in the best way possible. For a spoof hack AND a contest hack, this was very well done.

junkrares

Super Metroid Isolation

I just tried to play this, v1.01 crashes on real hardware (FXPak Pro/SNES) when accessing the first map station (backup power).

Secret Agent Klunk

I am so happy to see so many submissions for the contest I wrote after midwest speedfest 2022! I plan on streaming all of them in the near future, however due to the upcoming US holiday and between juggling work and school I wont actually get to play any of these for another week. I would like to thank everyone who was able to find the time to make a submission, I wish everyone the best of luck with the voting and I can't wait to play everyone's submissions!

Roebloz

Quote from: H A M on July 01, 2024, 01:51:46 PM
(To Roebloz)
Is Yakuza NEO related to Spamton NEO? I leaved Discord because of spambots...

No, I just wanted a cool name for it since it's stronger and has a different palette.

Sickwood

Quote from: junkrares on July 01, 2024, 09:11:16 PM
Super Metroid Isolation

I just tried to play this, v1.01 crashes on real hardware (FXPak Pro/SNES) when accessing the first map station (backup power).

Same thing happened to me after pausing after accessing the first map station. There was a long pause after the map station message box, but eventually cleared. Thought I was clear of it, but pausing several rooms later blacked out the screen and crashed with music and sfx persisting. Hopefully can be fixed, I was really digging the vibe, graphics, and music to that point.

junkrares

Quote from: Sickwood on July 02, 2024, 04:44:59 PM
Quote from: junkrares on July 01, 2024, 09:11:16 PM
Super Metroid Isolation

Same thing happened to me after pausing after accessing the first map station. There was a long pause after the map station message box, but eventually cleared. Thought I was clear of it, but pausing several rooms later blacked out the screen and crashed with music and sfx persisting. Hopefully can be fixed, I was really digging the vibe, graphics, and music to that point.

I just tried again. Cleared after about 35-40 seconds of me mashing the A button. I don't have a crash on pausing, though the map flashes from blue back to pink. And several times I've gotten audio glitches, cutouts, and the ship launch/Ceres text jingle playing for no reason.

Same feel though -- this hack has a lot of promise if it can be ironed out.

Kirarin

Quote from: neen on June 30, 2024, 09:01:06 PM
Ceres Is a Beautiful Place And I am No Longer Afraid To Be In Space

(yes it's beatable)
music port/arrangement by H A M

Replying just so that I don't forget my stats if someone posts this on the main page later.

But yes, this is beatable. Took me 40 minutes ign.