News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

V E R T I C A L I T Y

Started by Tundain, April 22, 2024, 05:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oi27

QuotePlease, help. I don't know where to go next.
IIRC the [spoiler]room next to the Crateria boss is a very large Kill Enemies room. It unlocks the door to the boss.[/spoiler]

RT-55J

Quote from: Mikhail on April 28, 2024, 10:59:57 AM
Please, help. I don't know where to go next. [spoiler]Space Jump is the most recent major item I got. I checked every Crateria room I could, but almost every path is blocked by Screw Attack or locked doors.
The large room next to the boss icon [spoiler]has a killcount door.[/spoiler]

EDIT: oops i didn't notice Oi's post (darn pagebreaks)

Mikhail

Okay, I just completed it. This is a very decent hack, I really enjoyed it. Right now I have 94.4% and I give up shooting every block. Can I have full map, please?

RT-55J

Mikhail

What is the intended way to get this Missile Tank? [spoiler][/spoiler]

H A M

Quote from: Mikhail on April 28, 2024, 02:43:33 PM
[spoiler]diagonal downspark in the previous room[/spoiler]

H A M

Quote from: H A M on April 28, 2024, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: Mikhail on April 28, 2024, 02:43:33 PM
[spoiler]diagonal downspark in the previous room[/spoiler]
[spoiler]But this is tricky and unintuitive to execute midair. You have to trigger the shinespark windup pose midair by pressing up while spinjumping, hold aim up (R default) + down on dpad, and finally press jump (A default).[/spoiler]

VirtueAvatar

Quote from: VirtueAvatar on April 28, 2024, 06:36:42 AM
I got stuck in a wall while morphed in Brinstar, in a room full of opening and closing gates and er, Brinstar crab guys. There's a grey door in the bottom left of the room. I was just spring balling around and ended up in the wall of a 2x2 tile block somewhere near the centre of the room.

It's the room attached. I agree that it was probably due to the constant spring ball + getting pushed in by a lift somewhere. After I was stuck, tapping left/right didn't act like tapping left/right, the camera moved as if I held left/right at the speed of a lift. But also couldn't exit the 2x2 tile blocks that I was stuck inside of.

Tundain

Okay yeah well that issue will be fixed in the next update, which will also bring other fixes to some general things like:
[spoiler]Ridley balancing[/spoiler]
[spoiler]teleporters in rooms[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Overcharge buff[/spoiler]

KPF

This hack DOES NOT work with Bnes or Snes9x.
WHY!?!?!?!?

junkrares

Quote from: KPF on April 29, 2024, 01:03:45 PM
This hack DOES NOT work with Bnes or Snes9x.
WHY!?!?!?!?

Because you're doing something wrong in patching?

dewhi100

Damn, I just realized I forgot to format my review with one character per line to ensure complete
V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
I
T
Y.

Please be content with my horizontal review.

Tundain

After reading the reviews, and getting some feedback. The next version is out now!
Hopefully this will ensure the hack can deserve  "vanilla" difficulty, as many though things have been nerfed.

Old version will still be available for whoever is interested.

junkrares

Quite the hefty changelog, and all appreciated. I'm gonna give this one another go -- see if I can beat my previous completion.

DonnyDonovan

Compatible with existing saves or no?

Tundain

Yep yep, nothing that messes with SRAM has been touched

RealRed

powerbeam is already worthless as soon as the game starts. Have to fight everything with pseudo-screw which becomes unavailable after reaching the romhack standard suitless underwater region 10 minutes in. Now respawning enemies all take 6+ shots.

Numerous platforming shafts where the camera isn't center locked but the platforms move both horizontally and vertically. Oh and I'm getting attacked by the smallest enemy in the game at the same time.

Not fun.

Tundain

Did you miss [spoiler]spazer[/spoiler] by any chance? it shouldn't be too far into the game

UDtheAesir

Beat it with 95.9% items and 5:38 hours. Fun hack, I recommend. Love all the new stuff and changes throughout.

Metaquarius

I'd rather bonk my head on the wall for 5 minutes rather than replay this hack honestly.
Teleport spikes are the main culprit of course. And the gate hunt at the end obviously (I gave up)
It reminded me of so-called Metroidvanias that focus more precision plateforming than doing actual Metroidvania stuff. You know thoses ones ! If you can spot that spike fest room in the trailers, it's probably not far from the truth ^^

Tundain

Did you play on V1.1?, that one focuses on addressing some of those issues, most notably gates get their own special maptile so they're easier to spot.
the teleporter tile rooms got toned down as well in some rooms, also in v1.1 you can[spoiler]glide whilst morphed, that helps making the challenges a lot easier[/spoiler]

besides that: in the next (upcoming) version one of the biggest things is [spoiler]some of the teleporter challenges will get checkpoints to make them less tedious[/spoiler]

Metaquarius

V1.0.
Making them less tedious won't solve the issue, teleport spikes are the bane of (my) existence. They are slow, tedious and make zero sense whatsoever. Still, I am bit puzzled by the fact that stupid hard Ridley fight had gone unchecked despite playtesting. Same goes for no save room before Botwoon. Easy to fix for sure but odd case nonetheless.

Tundain

Ridley has been nerfed in v1.1, [spoiler]a severe damage reduction to compensate for the lack of etanks[/spoiler].
save before botwoon is smth i hadn't considered since it didn't seem like botwoon was too hard of a fight, but i will consider it for the next update, it's a good point.

For the teleporter spike challenges there's not much i can do besides making them easier, since otherwise [spoiler]the gliding challenges have no point since replacing them with regular spikes means players will just tank their way through and ignore the glider upgrade[/spoiler]

Ambureon

excellent hack. some minor pain points and moments of frustration but the overall design and layout of each area is fun and easy to navigate.

immediately wanted to map this one out and got it done in like a week
[spoiler=LONG IMAGE WARNING (seriously it's like 7.5k pixels tall)][/spoiler]

junkrares

Quote from: Ambureon on May 04, 2024, 06:09:57 AM
excellent hack. some minor pain points and moments of frustration but the overall design and layout of each area is fun and easy to navigate.

immediately wanted to map this one out and got it done in like a week
[spoiler=LONG IMAGE WARNING (seriously it's like 7.5k pixels tall)][img]https://ambureon.neocities.org/maps/Verticality.png[img][/spoiler]

Do you ever get tired of being awesome? Thanks for taking over where danidub left off.