News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

METROID: CROCOMIRE's LAST STAND

Started by Roebloz, September 17, 2023, 03:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roebloz

After 3 months of work, here it is, here it finally is, METROID: CROCOMIRE's LAST STAND!!!!

It is a brand-new Zero Mission ROM hack starring the SA-X in an alternate timeline where Samus encountered an X parasite rather than the Baby at the end of Metroid II: Return of Samus. She was then quickly infected and killed, with the SA-X taking her gunship and leaving with some X parasites to conquer galactic federation that they are now aware of thanks to Samus's memories. And sure enough, after a few months, both the Space Pirates on Zebes and the Galactic Federation have been assimilated by the X. However, Kraid and Ridley had been sent, (Along with some of the flora and fauna, including Crocomire and some of the Maridia turtles) to Planet Nebov to attempt to create another Metroid Breeding Program and perhaps find a cure to the X parasites. And sure enough, quickly enough they figured out the Metroids' relation to the X parasites and were able to engineer their own version of Vaccine "Metroid", which they proceeded to inject into the population of the planet, allowing them to be immune to the X parasites inevitable attacks, allowing them to build their numbers to eventually take down the X parasites, being entertained by Crocomire's Metroidvania gameshow in the meantime.

So now, the X hivemind has sent you, the SA-X, to take down the Space Pirates to allow for global X parasite domination. Your objective? Unlock all 4 of the Security Locks on the planet, and commit merciless extermination.

So yeah, despite this dark-sounding story, its a pretty normal ZM hack otherwise. You play as the SA-X as mentioned previously (Making this the second hack to feature custom Samus sprites thanks to the extremely talented Yohann, who did most of the ASM work here) and have access to the Fusion beams as you go on a dangerous journey to exterminate Kraid, Ridley, the Metroids and of course Crocomire. There are multiple ways and paths to beat the game, granting a great layer of randomness, and on top of that the "CORE-X" mode further shuffles around the items in another way requiring more complex tricks, granting even more replayability on top of the usual added difficulty. The music and tilesets are mostly from SM, though a lot of ZM assets and some Fusion assets are present as well.

So if you want a good mostly-vanilla hack with a lot of options on how to play, this one is for you!

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/nfhtz7xgabxyd85/METROID+CROCOMIRE's+LAST+STAND+v0.99.2.zip/file

Tomtroid

Roebloz

Pushed out a small update to fix some spriteset conflicts and nerfed Space Pirates beams to 13 damage (Down from 50)

Also, the hack is now available on ROMHacking.net (Albeit without the update yet as of writing this)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8084/

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Roebloz on September 18, 2023, 08:15:57 PM
Pushed out a small update to fix some spriteset conflicts and nerfed Space Pirates beams to 13 damage (Down from 50)

Also, the hack is now available on ROMHacking.net (Albeit without the update yet as of writing this)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8084/

Really cool to see a new hack. Just a little issue i have so far, as much as i love the music but it feels too loud, like it's peaking all the time (like when you yell into a mic). Not sure if its possible but maybe turn the music volume down for the hack itself.

Dynarec

Hey all, pretty cool hack. I believe I've found a hard-lock in the Aqua Abyss.

I made into the eastern sector of Aqua Abyss without Gravity Suit or Ice Beam, went all the way down, and picked up the [spoiler]Screw Attack[/spoiler] in the lower right corner. It appears that there is no way out.

• In the western side, I am blocked by Speed Booster blocks underwater, and an unclimbable vertical shaft underwater without Ice Beam.

• In the top shaft leading to [spoiler]Level 4 Locks[/spoiler] there is an unclimbable vertical shaft.

• The way I came down in the east is also blocked by a shaft with small lips on them, preventing single-wall wall jumps to escape vertically.

I'd recommend adding a platform to the top shaft leading to [spoiler]Level 4 Locks[/spoiler] to allow a player to get up there without Ice or Gravity. That would allow for forward progression. Or, fix the walls in the eastern shaft to allow for single wall jumps to escape the way we came in.

At a minimum, locking the Save Stations in eastern Aqua Abyss with Level 4 locks would also turn the hard-lock into a soft-lock as well. I saved down there because I was happy I picked up the [spoiler]Screw Attack[/spoiler] early. :(

qewadszcx132

Apart from the obvious bugs and issues I really like this hack. Well done and I hope you create more romhacks in the future.

One thing in particular that annoyed me is that when you complete the game it doesn't mark the save file as complete. You don't get the item checklist when you open the map nor do you get the option to start the same save file at a different difficulty.

Also, when I decided to play on Hard, I found I couldn't activate the Security Locks:

I checked a level 1 door to see if anything happened and it was still locked. Is this intentional?

Zhs2

Quote from: Dynarec on September 24, 2023, 09:43:28 PM
Hey all, pretty cool hack. I believe I've found a hard-lock in the Aqua Abyss.

Seconding this. On Easy/Normal there is no way to escape the eastern section of Aqua Abyss (fitting name) without being able to open the level 4 lock, which requires the Gravity Suit as neither means of reaching the level 4 lock (Speed Booster and Screw Attack) can be used underwater without it. Acquiring Gravity Suit means traversing the entire western section of Aqua Abyss, so if you fall into the eastern part too early you're permanently softlocked. You're especially softlocked if you fall into the Super Missile room connecting the areas, as you cannot escape the crumbles, cannot break the Speed Booster blocks without Gravity, and cannot climb out without Gravity. Falling into this trap is unfortunately very easy to do with a little wallkicking and maybe a Power Bomb on the western side.

Roebloz

Hey, its me again! Only a month late, I know, life got in the way and I was just burnt out completely. Just wanted to say I'm finally pushing out the 1.0.0 update, right now, which among other things will fix some clipdata and softlocking issues! After that though, that's it for me. Thank you for playing.

Tower

So i went to aqua abyss from the right side on hard mode, without gravity and get to rooms right side of Ridley. And im stuck. I cant jump high enough in water to leave on right side and cant leave on left side since i dont have screw attack.

Ambureon

forgot to share this here. i made a danidub type map for this hack

[spoiler=map of the entire game in here][/spoiler]
[spoiler=and another one for hard mode][/spoiler]