News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Super Junkoid

Started by P.Yoshi, August 21, 2023, 03:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbelmont85

This is an awesome hack, playing through it now and really enjoying  Thanks!

Not sure if this is a bug or intended by design with the map, [spoiler]but on the outskirts map the very far top left won't scroll all the way left and will only show the room location on the map when you are at that position.[/spoiler] also every place I get a [spoiler]baseball[/spoiler] the item shows on the map, but other items do not.  Not sure if there was some additional importance to seeing this items locations on the map after getting them?

Also, not sure why, but I got an item that doesn't seam to work? [spoiler]some kind of crown that says my spark will no longer drain energy, but didn't seam to work, when I spark dash it still drains energy. Maybe I misunderstood what the crown does, but I can't go back a re-read the item description and I also can't find it in the HUD or character menu...odd [/spoiler]

Just curious P. Yoshi, when was the intended first time getting the [spoiler] spark suit, I got it way before the false idol where the creature teaches it to you,[/spoiler] I forget where I first got it now.

SuperFusion

So near the very end of the game [spoiler]there is a mysterious locked door to the right of where the final boss is. Any idea how to get in? [/spoiler]

I also found [spoiler]the little easter egg during the escape sequence. It makes me sad that their relationship ended like this.[/spoiler]

RT-55J

Regarding that locked door:

[spoiler]There isn't any way to enter it (I triple checked in SMART), but I suspect that the author might add something to it in an update.[/spoiler]

P.Yoshi

Patch 1.2 is in the original post (hopefully all the major stuff is fixed)

Bug Fixes
Weird unequip item bug should be fixed
Penguinmire's room palette should be correct
Fixed softlock in the Blood/Idol shaft
Map should scroll correctly to the left in Outskirts after you unlock the Purple shortcut
Fixed softlock in a very bizarre backwards route

Layout Changes
Wave Bangle room moved to its own spot in the right side of Purple (doesn't require any items to enter)
The left side of Purple now requires Sparksuit to enter (shouldn't change progression at all, and any% is unaffected)
The hidden item on the right side of Outskirts no longer requires bombs
Simplified a few rooms in Outskirts
The Sanguine Fin (Gravity Suit) pre-room can now be entered from either side, so less people should miss it
The gravity suit check to Botwoon is a little checkier
The heated room from Purple to Idol should be easier to pass through with Shinespark (if you want to do it backwards)
The hidden Sparksuit in Blood is no longer wayyy out of the way

Other
Animals unlocking shortcut elevators should be more obvious
Hidden door before the final boss should now be openable

P.Yoshi

...on the outskirts map the very far top left won't scroll all the way left and will only show the room location on the map when you are at that position.
Should be fixed now.

Quotealso every place I get a baseball the item shows on the map, but other items do not.  Not sure if there was some additional importance to seeing this items locations on the map after getting them?
Baseball rooms with Ballomet refill baseballs at 1HP per Baseball.

Quote...some kind of crown that says my spark will no longer drain energy, but didn't seam to work, when I spark dash it still drains energy. Maybe I misunderstood what the crown does, but I can't go back a re-read the item description and I also can't find it in the HUD or character menu...odd
Your HUD icon for the Sparksuit should change, but I think you got the weird unequip item bug. (I think this is fixed now)

Just curious P. Yoshi, when was the intended first time getting the spark suit, I got it way before the false idol where the creature teaches it to you, I forget where I first got it now.
I'm curious about this. False Idol is the intended first Sparksuit, but you can get it in Purple if you know about the secret route from the snow bedroom.

Also I believe someone got the Sparksuit early in Ice Castle, but it looked very difficult.

drb

It deserves better, but here's my screenshot map for Super Junkoid.  Compiled mainly on version 1.1 with the major version changes bolted on after the fact, so there may be some minor version discrepancies.  Obvious spoiler warning for visual stuff, and a simple sequence break that blows the game wide open.

[spoiler]
https://imgur.com/Fc8GGNq
[/spoiler]

McBrettorrson

Just finished. 5ish hours 100%. Great hack P.Yoshi.
[spoiler]Loved the nod to SM at the end of purple. [/spoiler]

Only bug I found was the final save room would not activate a save at all. The spa will refill energy, etc. but would not save progress.

Did not realize that baseball shrines refilled baseballs in exchange for health. Would probably have used the final one before endgame otherwise haha.

RT-55J

Quote from: McBrettorrson on September 11, 2023, 06:45:33 PM
Only bug I found was the final save room would not activate a save at all. The spa will refill energy, etc. but would not save progress.

idk if you already know this or not, but the hot springs don't save the game --- you have to stand on the altars next to them for the saving animation to play out

(i just mention this because the last save point has worked for everybody else i've seen play this)

P.Yoshi

Quote from: drb on September 11, 2023, 03:10:25 PM
It deserves better, but here's my screenshot map for Super Junkoid.  Compiled mainly on version 1.1 with the major 1.2 changes bolted on after the fact, so there may be some minor version discrepancies.  Obvious spoiler warning for visual stuff, and a simple sequence break that blows the game wide open.

[spoiler]
https://imgur.com/ZFSqkBe
[/spoiler]

That map is really cool! I've never seen the hack from this viewpoint before, I like it a lot.

Did you happen to make a 1:1 or 1:2 scale version? c:

drb

Quote from: P.Yoshi on September 14, 2023, 07:24:26 PM
That map is really cool! I've never seen the hack from this viewpoint before, I like it a lot.

Did you happen to make a 1:1 or 1:2 scale version? c:

Thanks so much!  Always nice to get feedback from creators.  Unfortunately I don't have a larger scale - my ancient PC can't handle compiling that many pixels at once.

constantitus

On behalf of me my weaboo friends playing this hack, I genuinely thank you for implementing jiggle physics for the main character

RT-55J

i think we found asmodeus's alt

P.Yoshi

1.3 is in the original post (hopefully the final version) ... (unless some major issues are found)

New Stuff
Fast doors! Fast transitions between rooms!

Bug Fixes
Fixed some bad collision tiles and some awkward scrolling issues
Fixed some background artifacts in Dead Idol when picking up items
Less lag in the "Death Statue Room" before the Big Junkoid

Layout Changes
Added a tiny little spot for breath in the Sheol/Purple transfer
Removed crumble blocks near the first Sparksuit in Idol (after flying out of the Sparksuit shaft)
The room before Wave Bangle should more obviously show you can get past the lava Junkos
Moved the Magic Bolt from the "Silent Room" to the heated room next to it, so you don't have to transfer back
Hot Shaft in the middle of Purple is now easier to spark through
Changed the Muscle Spider boss guarding "Dreamer's Crown" to two Big Penguins
Changed the enemies in the Gauntlet (Tentacles who can shoot through walls instead of Owls/Spiders who just jump around mindlessly)
Junkraid hurts a little more (she's still a pushover)
Removed the Blood Wand blocks in center jail in Blood Bethel
Added a shortcut back from the final save, so you can leave the final area more easily
Moved the "farming room" in Sheol so people find the save first
The False Idol Heart (Spospo) now drops baseballs
Added some more enemies in Purple
Added a slightly hidden transfer from the "Gem of Storms" room to Landing Site (so you don't have to go through Gauntlet twice)
Added a hidden connection from outside Junkraygon's room to the upper area of Blood for people going from 'Ice > Idol > Blood'

Other
Message boxes are a little clearer (QUANTITY +5 instead of SPARKSWIMSUIT MAX +5)
Tuned the droprate of big hearts, they should be a bit rarer
Doubled damage of shinespark echoes (200 damage vs 100 damage)
Some enemies deal a little more contact damage
Dead Idol is a little more pinker so it looks less like caves
Save altar now has a little green glow, hopefully people know they can save on it ...

Kyouken

P. Yoshi, I've really enjoyed the hack! Gives me such an eerie vibe. Perfect to play at night after work.

I'm stuck trying to get the last couple of items.
[spoiler]There are two items in Purple that are right before Sheol. There's a shaft with two corridors on the left and right which I can get into, but the next doors in each corridor are locked.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The Death Gem in Sheol is behind another door I can't get past because it's locked.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Finally, not an item, but another door - the door to the right of Asmodeus is still locked.[/spoiler]

For reference, I'm playing on 1.2. Seems like everything else has worked so far. I have all of the items and tanks up until this point.

RT-55J

Quote from: Kyouken on October 14, 2023, 11:31:30 PM
I'm stuck trying to get the last couple of items.
[spoiler]There are two items in Purple that are right before Sheol. There's a shaft with two corridors on the left and right which I can get into, but the next doors in each corridor are locked.[/spoiler]

Hint:

[spoiler]Be observant in those two corridors.[/spoiler]

Kyouken

Yo, I can't believe those locked doors tripped me up after that.

What also tripped me up was the [spoiler]hint for the not-gravity Chozo statue telling me I needed to master magic - I thought that meant have all the beams.[/spoiler]

Thanks RT-55J! 100%!

M1CR0H4CK3R

That was a fun game. Had a blast. Got a few items out of order, so got lost trying to find the items that were supposedly required to reach them. I used Shinesparking to reach areas I shouldn't reach without Space Jump, so that's the source of part of my confusion. Clever tanking of damage was another. Still masterfully designed. I wonder how Draygon was omitted in exchange for Crocomire for G4? That probably required a hex edit that I've never seen done before in a romhack.

RT-55J

I think you're misremembering a bit of the hack, because

[spoiler]all the G4 bosses are their vanilla counterparts[/spoiler]

H A M

Quote from: sbelmont85 on August 29, 2023, 11:09:39 AM
Also, not sure why, but I got an item that doesn't seam to work?
Do you use any other patches?

carl87

Hello all. I had a blast with Super Junkoid. So much so, that I thought it would fun to edit some of the palettes. I have no experience in rom hacking whatsoever, but somehow managed to get a junko sprite overview png using Sprite Something. From there I used GIMP to make color edits, then saved as a png. After using Sprite Something to inject the updated png into the rom, I see that corruption has occured. Rooms soft-lock, the wand has inexplicably changed color, and I have space jump even though I haven't picked it up yet. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Any advice?

H A M

What colors do you change?

carl87

I changed the shinspark swimsuit from default green to dark blue. Things were weird after that, so I started with a fresh Super Metroid rom and then re-applied the Super Junkoid ips file to it. After that, I injected my modified png, and started a new game file. So far, this seems to work. But I haven't reached the point of getting shinespark yet, so I'm not yet sure if this is a proper fix or not. Hopefully it works, and I may have spoken too soon regarding my problem!

H A M

Your swimsuit should have the same color as your wand.

carl87

That sounds interesting. Is that a requirement in the coding?